Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:04 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Gezza
The spledid manifestation of Canadian culture being that they tactfully refrained from booting the Brits out, after the yankees showed them how.
...Canadians are just too polite - they didn't want to cause a fuss.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:21 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
The spledid manifestation of Canadian culture being that they tactfully refrained from booting the Brits out, after the yankees showed them how.
Zero grasp of NA history
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:31 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
...Canadians are just too polite - they didn't want to cause a fuss.
Funny. I was on a bus in Toronto today which serves a route that is really busy. Always big lines, packed buses, long wait times, those lovely ancient buses that Toronto has. It ended up absolutely rammed and people had clearly been waiting some time.

From the back of the bus I hear some bloke with a strong British accent "Put some more bloody buses on this route for Christ's sake" - a very fair point. It was of course met with a slightly shocked silence from all those standing...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:08 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

"Put some more bloody buses on this route for Christ's sake" - a very fair point.

People who do this are, IMO, obnoxious and just like to hear the sound of their own voices. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from shouting at the driver. He doesn't do the scheduling.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:14 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I did say the point was fair - not the means of making it. However, if you had to ride this route on a daily basis you would probably have a little more tolerance - believe me
I am really trying hard to use transit in Toronto and once you are off the subway some of the levels of service are rather patchy
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:38 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
I dont think Im arrogant at all. Im not posting about myself here, but about what the possible reasons could be for vacating the UK/Europe to end up in a cold, bland, shiny, culturally devoid, intellectually vacant place like Canada. It would be much better to move to America if you are desperate to get away from the UK.
America? Been there, done that.

Intellectually vacant, I guess when you leave, even more so. Damn!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
America? Been there, done that.

Intellectually vacant, I guess when you leave, even more so. Damn!
Wasn't you that just got done for drink driving was it?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Wasn't you that just got done for drink driving was it?
No not me. I never drink and drive, i spill it everywhere!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bali2010

Oh - not actually a joke?
what's so funny eh?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Ungrateful gits they are. Fancy buggering it up after the British so carefully colonised their country, built infrastructure, spent all that money teaching them skills and then dutifully handed their own country back to them. So uncilivilsed, how dare they ignore the values the UK handed them on a plate. Then some of them even have the audacity to want to move to Britain. The shear cheek of it.

They need a chap like you out there to sort them out. Perhaps you should be on your way ASAP so they can benefit from your expertise and wise counsel.
ing

Cruel sarcasm especially when there are elected politicians and civilians actually wish for the Brits to come back. But then,dboy has found his calling in Canada.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

I just heard on the radio that in a poll conducted amongst Canadians asking them how they define themselves as Canadians, the top answer was 'Not Americans.'
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by MartianTom
I just heard on the radio that in a poll conducted amongst Canadians asking them how they define themselves as Canadians, the top answer was 'Not Americans.'
It's very difficult to define Canadianism. The reality is is that it's a very young country, barely a teen in an old world and was influenced by the french and the brits but now the Americans. One only needs to turn on the telly to know what pop culture is (then again, it all over Brit tv as well). As much as we deny it, we are an extension of the US.

But this should come to no surprise for anyone coming here. There are uniquely Canadian traits, but you have to make the effort to find them. Our characters are not as well known but they are there as are our heroes and artists.

Last edited by dboy; Nov 10th 2009 at 1:41 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Eh? I'm not so sure aboot that!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
ing

Cruel sarcasm especially when there are elected politicians and civilians actually wish for the Brits to come back. But then,dboy has found his calling in Canada.
That's it You must be a secret agent trying to persuade all the ex Brits to abandon their homes and return Britain. The brain drain has finally taken it's toll and the country desperately needs us all back if it is to survive.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
It's very difficult to define Canadianism.
Part of the problem, I think, is that the definition of "Canadian" varies depending on which part of Canada you're in. There's no one definition that suits everyone across the country - the country's too regional.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.