Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:43 pm
Banned

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hello there,

Ive already posted on this board under the "immigration" thread as my husband is thinking of moving to Canada, but im unsure.

Ive never been one that wants to live abroad, I dont know why, its just something Ive never thought of.

We were in Canada on holiday in the summer, and to be honest, when we came back home I really did miss Canada, and thought about it alot. My SIL (husbands sister) and her family live there, and we were very close to them before they moved to Canada last year and I do miss them very much.

My mum says theres nothing here (in GB) and we would be mad not to go, and my FIL and MIL say I should be thinking of our 2 kids because they will have a much better life in Canada than here. Why they think that I dont know because they have only been to Canada for 2 weeks before and that was with us, in the summer. They mean well and are only wanting the best for their grandchildren, but is moving to Canada the best thing for them?
Im now left feeling that if I dont go to Canada, people will be thinking that Im not doing whats best for my children, and that makes me very sad.

Is moving to Canada the best thing for us all?

Why did you want to move to Canada, and can I just ask how long does it roughly take for everything to go ahead? For my Sil it took approx 3 years.

Jackie

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
Nothing ventured nothing gained ! test the waters , if it doesnt kill yaa it can certainly improve yaa
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Go back 50 years, and from 1959 onwards compare the exemplary handing over of government to dozens of newly independent ex colonies....compare that with the ramshackle dumping of France, Portugal and the Netherlands of their colonies. Until today, those countries are suffering from the deliberate undermining of their futures as compared to the ex brit colonies.
Lets' see... Hmmm, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq... yes, I see what you mean.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Most people in the UK do not vote in National Elections. The EU, as I am sure you are aware, is made up of sovereign states that have agreed to "hand over" certain powers to the "federal" authority. The sovereign states retain exclusive control over all other areas.

If the electorate of the UK didn't like it, they could vote for parties that state they wish to withdraw the UK from the EU. People do not vote in sufficient numbers for this to happen, therefore, one must assume that the electorate of the UK is happy with the status quo.

You may not like it, but the majority of the electorate in the UK that are sufficiently concerned about it to vote evidently don't.

In any event, practically, it makes no difference whether the laws are enacted in the UK, in the EU or elsewhere in the world (if they applied to the UK). No matter what the policiticians do, some will agree, some won't, most won't care but will moan incessantly about it.

When people actually take the time to look at the laws being enacted, most intelligent people will opine that the "best" laws come from the EU anyway. Without the EU, employees in the UK would have nothing like the protection they do. In my experience, most of the objections to laws enacted by the EU come from misinformed readers of articles written by lazy or biased reporters of tabloids in the UK who have nothing better to do than spout crap about "bananas that are not straight enough" etc.

It is not much different in Canada. The Feds whine about the Provinces, the Provinces whine about the Feds, the municipalities whine about the Provinces, all pushing their own objectives, but, a great deal of the time, missing the bigger picture. For the purposes of this paragraph, I am talking about the politicians.
"Without the EU, employees in the UK would have nothing like the protection they do." Little bird tells me,this so called "protection", given a few decades, has meant vanishing spending power of your salary, poorer levels of goods and services and more population moving into apartment blocks.
All of course the fault of the Americans.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
"Without the EU, employees in the UK would have nothing like the protection they do." Little bird tells me,this so called "protection", given a few decades, has meant vanishing spending power of your salary, poorer levels of goods and services and more population moving into apartment blocks.
You think your spending power in the UK is vanishing? Maybe it is, but that is not the EU's fault; sterling is still a currency in it's own right and the UK can control it's value to a certain extent. If you want to blame anyone - look no further than the people who actually ran the country for the last decade.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Lets' see... Hmmm, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq... yes, I see what you mean.

every single one handed back to the indigenous, with care and affection. If they buggered up once they had a few years under their belts it's because of their own sheer stupidity in ignoring the values that the UK tried to hand them. The more anti Brit, you will notice the worse off they are and the more they willfully harm their own.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy
I'm not being arrogant, just called you for what you are: a compete knob who's blinded by his own arrogance.
I dont think Im arrogant at all. Im not posting about myself here, but about what the possible reasons could be for vacating the UK/Europe to end up in a cold, bland, shiny, culturally devoid, intellectually vacant place like Canada. It would be much better to move to America if you are desperate to get away from the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think Im arrogant at all.......but about what the possible reasons could be for vacating the UK/Europe to end up in a cold, bland, shiny, culturally devoid, intellectually vacant place like Canada.
Ignorant is possibly a better descriptor than arrogant.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

every single one handed back to the indigenous, with care and affection. If they buggered up once they had a few years under their belts it's because of their own sheer stupidity in ignoring the values that the UK tried to hand them. The more anti Brit, you will notice the worse off they are and the more they willfully harm their own.
Ungrateful gits they are. Fancy buggering it up after the British so carefully colonised their country, built infrastructure, spent all that money teaching them skills and then dutifully handed their own country back to them. So uncilivilsed, how dare they ignore the values the UK handed them on a plate. Then some of them even have the audacity to want to move to Britain. The shear cheek of it.

They need a chap like you out there to sort them out. Perhaps you should be on your way ASAP so they can benefit from your expertise and wise counsel.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
What? While I accept the US generally screws up everything it attempts to do on the world stage, I fail to comprehend how EU employment law can be blamed on the US.

I was thinking of legislation such as the Working Time Directive, the 6 pack of Personal Injury Plaintiffs' Lawyers dream legislation, the ability for EU citizens to work in other countries, type of stuff.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's a bit of a self serving win-win analysis, innit? If Zimbabwe et al. go to the dogs, it's their own fault. If Angola turns into a hell hole, the Portugese are to blame.

Sophistry and balderdash my friend.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:44 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

every single one handed back to the indigenous, with care and affection.

Oh - not actually a joke?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010

Oh - not actually a joke?
It is hard to tell at times, but he made me laugh.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

for vacating the UK/Europe to end up in a cold, bland, shiny, culturally devoid, intellectually vacant place like Canada. It would be much better to move to America if you are desperate to get away from the UK.
I don't think there is a great deal of difference between these two countries in these areas.

Got the flight home booked?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

I dont think Im arrogant at all. Im not posting about myself here, but about what the possible reasons could be for vacating the UK/Europe to end up in a cold, bland, shiny, culturally devoid, intellectually vacant place like Canada. It would be much better to move to America if you are desperate to get away from the UK.
Love the irony!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

The spledid manifestation of Canadian culture being that they tactfully refrained from booting the Brits out, after the yankees showed them how.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.