Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:06 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Wanted to Ski
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:00 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the karma.

YOu know who you are
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You're just beating yourself up again over failing in Canada, don't be so hard on yourself. Envy gets you nowhere, just accept what you have and put up with.
No sir, I have not been flying as close to the sun as you have. As a matter of fact, in my short time in Canada Ive done fairly well, and would go so far as to say, better than the average new canadian. But I put that down to an excellent Uk upbringing, set of values and witness of the personal sacrifices and determination made by the British at home and abroad. My point is that Canada takes more than it gives, especially when it comes to Brits in Canada.

As for what the UK has given to the world in the last 50 years DBoy. Almost every troubled spot in the world today has a lack of British presence/influence presently. Look also to the role the current PM has played in getting the global financial crisis under some control. he was the first leader with courage enough to take action, and he actually led in bringing some semblance of financial framework in the first 30 days of the global collapse. Perhaps you can recall the only aviation achievement of Canada which was scuppered by the USA. The Avro was designed and manufactured by Brits imported into Canada just for the project or Canada would not even have that feather. Go back 50 years, and from 1959 onwards compare the exemplary handing over of government to dozens of newly independent ex colonies....compare that with the ramshackle dumping of France, Portugal and the Netherlands of their colonies. Until today, those countries are suffering from the deliberate undermining of their futures as compared to the ex brit colonies.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

My SIL has been there for just over a year and loves it, says if she won the lottery she wouldnt come back to UK to stay.

I dont know why im reluctant, its my nature to worry anyway, so its probably just me. Ive told my husband I would like him to have a job to go to, as he has an occupation which is on the "list", but we dont know how we start the ball rolling.
My BIL has given us the name of the emmigration lawyer that he dealt with, so I suppose we should start there.

Oh decisions decisions.

Think I will be on this forum alot over the next few months.

Jackie

Only God knows the future, including tomorrow's, so it puzzles me when people say Canada has better future than England. Personally although not a born in UK British citizen (after 20 years in UK) I have a soft spot for England. If you are already uncertain at this early stage my prognosis would be that you are likely to return to England within 5 years.(so try to keep two homes) Saying that many emigrate to Canada twice in their lifetime. If I remember the statistics quoted somewhere out of 40% of Brits who return to England, 60% move to Canada
2nd time.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:49 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
No sir, I have not been flying as close to the sun as you have. As a matter of fact, in my short time in Canada Ive done fairly well, and would go so far as to say, better than the average new canadian. But I put that down to an excellent Uk upbringing, set of values and witness of the personal sacrifices and determination made by the British at home and abroad. My point is that Canada takes more than it gives, especially when it comes to Brits in Canada.

As for what the UK has given to the world in the last 50 years DBoy. Almost every troubled spot in the world today has a lack of British presence/influence presently. Look also to the role the current PM has played in getting the global financial crisis under some control. he was the first leader with courage enough to take action, and he actually led in bringing some semblance of financial framework in the first 30 days of the global collapse. Perhaps you can recall the only aviation achievement of Canada which was scuppered by the USA. The Avro was designed and manufactured by Brits imported into Canada just for the project or Canada would not even have that feather. Go back 50 years, and from 1959 onwards compare the exemplary handing over of government to dozens of newly independent ex colonies....compare that with the ramshackle dumping of France, Portugal and the Netherlands of their colonies. Until today, those countries are suffering from the deliberate undermining of their futures as compared to the ex brit colonies.
No one is doubting our accomplishments. I've lived there, served in the military, was given an eduction (well a very average secondary comp one). But I also struggled. Canada and the US gave me what England was not able to do at the time - decent paying work and surge of confidence to be all that I could be. I completed high school, earned a degree and I'm now doing a job that I love, that I like to think counts for something. Canada gave me the opportunities I sought, at the time, England did not. \

I don't give a hoot about how many movies were made, aircraft built or nations were conquered by Britain, I'm a globe trotter, I like my life here, when I no longer do I shall leave. Perhaps one day I may return to England, but then again, maybe I won't.

You are riding England's past glories. Perhaps you can return and enthrall them with tales of how you tamed the colonies
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Incidentally do they make scary anouncments via paging system about swine flu in uk spermarkets? Here in canada they have covered all media blanket fashion. I read 480 peeps died so far in total compared to 36,000 dying of basic flu each year, worldwide.I do not get it.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:08 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of fact, in my short time in Canada Ive done fairly well, and would go so far as to say, better than the average new canadian. But I put that down to an excellent Uk upbringing, set of values and witness of the personal sacrifices and determination made by the British at home and abroad. My point is that Canada takes more than it gives, especially when it comes to Brits in Canada.
Well, I am sure we are all extremely grateful that you are bestowing on Canada all the benefits of your British upbringing. And I apologize if Canada is not giving back to you what you so richly deserve. It is such a shame that those of us already here, Canadian and immigrant alike, will be unlikely to see all your admirable qualities hidden, as they are, beneath the surface of a pompous arse.

... Look also to the role the current PM has played in getting the global financial crisis under some control. he was the first leader with courage enough to take action, and he actually led in bringing some semblance of financial framework in the first 30 days of the global collapse...
You what? Hahahahahahah. Even the hard line Labour PR people will only say complimentary things about Brown's handling of the economy if they are allowed to cross their fingers behind their back.

I thought you were a troll. Now I know you are a clown.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

I thought you were a troll. Now I know you are a clown.
When in doubt of an answer, default to ad hominem. Classy.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:20 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Oh come on. He's not for real.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:49 am

Here ya go. Here's another one, he's a twit (wheatsheaf that is). There's a very typical British arrogance emerging on here. One more thing I don't miss about the place.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy
No one is doubting our accomplishments. I've lived there, served in the military, was given an eduction (well a very average secondary comp one). But I also struggled. Canada and the US gave me what England was not able to do at the time - decent paying work and surge of confidence to be all that I could be. I completed high school, earned a degree and I'm now doing a job that I love, that I like to think counts for something. Canada gave me the opportunities I sought, at the time, England did not. \

I don't give a hoot about how many movies were made, aircraft built or nations were conquered by Britain, I'm a globe trotter, I like my life here, when I no longer do I shall leave. Perhaps one day I may return to England, but then again, maybe I won't.

You are riding England's past glories. Perhaps you can return and enthrall them with tales of how you tamed the colonies
Not disagreeing with you at all. Unfortunately, pompous arses, twits like me have known better.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dboy
Here ya go. Here's another one, he's a twit (wheatsheaf that is). There's a very typical British arrogance emerging on here. One more thing I don't miss about the place.
there's justifiable arrogance and then there's?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:06 am

there's justifiable arrogance and then there's?
I'm not being arrogant, just called you for what you are: a compete knob who's blinded by his own arrogance.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Hm. This seems to be going the same way as the average BE thread.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

An ad hominem argument is a logical fallacy. If I said, "Oink is a fool, so you can't place any value on his opinions about Canada," it would not be logical. Just because someone is a fool doesn't necessarily mean their opinions are worthless.

However, if I said, "Oink appears to know very little about Canada and Canadian culture and yet, despite this ignorance, seems to think his snide remarks have some value - therefore he is a fool," this would be inference.

In the post you quoted I was attempting neither. I was just being rude.

HTH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.