Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:13 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by DandNHill

But the reason I'm saying this mainly is that we have what can only be described as a gut feeling that life will be better in Canada. I grew up in France and so speak fluent French and my OH gets by very well. So it's going to be a bit of an adventure.

And what's the worse that can happen? You find that life is not what you expected and you go back to the UK! But whatever the outcome, your kids can only gain from the experience of living in another country like I did in France all those years ago.

Good luck and see you maybe one day in Canada
Much the same for us we have just had our passport request to attach our PRV to I have no idea what it will be like to live there we have flights booked in March to visit for two weeks to try and get a feel for the place (well as much as you can in two weeks).

For ages I said I would rent out my home in London so if it did not work out I could come back to the area that I know and like. But part of me feels that if I do that and having a bad time I may give it up to easily.

So depending on the outcome of the visit we will take things from there.

Good luck with your application what area would you like to move to?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I like southern Ontario. My husband looked at a job in a small town called Sioux Lookout ON but there are too many bears!!! Now he constantly teases me about it!
We're going straight for our PR and he's going to apply for jobs so who knows where we might end up. It's likely to be touristic as he is a hotel general manager!!!
We're visiting Montreal in May so we might change our minds and we've been told that all being well we could be on our way by the summer!
Where are you hoping to settle?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
A good point Keith. I did, however, manage to visit the UK numerous times. I haven't been back in the last five or six years and don't really have much desire to. There are many other places in the world that I have yet to see.
You are right about communicating back then. I bought my folks a portable cassette tape player and used to make one one hour tapes and send them once a fortnight or so. They did the same. It was state of the are way back then ! Somehow it seemed easier but more personal than letters.
We did try the cassette tapes and even include some music, but my MIL didn't like it and we think it may have contrbuted to her stopping communicating in any way. As a result my wife never wanted to return for a visit. One of those family things.

Apart from an elderly brother and my SIL we have virtually no contact with family in the UK. Our family is here. We moved so much in the UK after we married that we never really got attached to any place, unlike our 47 years in Ottawa.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the kids of today - they have no respect. Not like back in our day. Things were different then, a real sense of community - not like now-a-days when they all play on xboxes and don't talk to anyone. We was always popping over for a cup of sugar or to listen to the queens speech at christmas and then falling asleep after a mince pie. we was happy with an orange and a lump of coal back then too - did I mention xboxes. The kids of today etc etc.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I have never heard that. I don't think it's much different today then it was in 1969. It just takes a lot longer for some people to get into Canada. I know that the effort that I have invested over the years has paid off for me as it has for many others that I know. Obviously it hasn't been the same for some though and I feel for those whose dreams are dashed for whatever reason. I can say that I do not know personally anyone who came and left.
There was an article recently, a very thoughtful and insightful one I thought, about healthcare in Canada for example. There are many research documents on pensions, employment insurance, etc along the same lines ie: the main financial support for these schemes comes from geographical areas where the immigrant populations of the recent 2 decades, is very high and these immigrants are from 'non traditional' countries ie Asia and Africa, Latin America. However, the recipient areas of the funding are populated by Canadians who are largely composed of people that came pre 1980s, and from the 'traditional' european countries.

In addition, services and benefits are and have been pruned back in the past 2 decades, so whilst the new immigrants fund the system, they gain less than their predecessors. Furthermore, commercial corporations are adding to the 'minus equation" with fewer benefits, poorer compensation and all round less stability to newer immigrants than was available before.

If you take Hong Kong immigrants as an example. They realised quickly that the Canadian dream was better achieved by returning to Hong Kong but retaining a foothold in Canada. ie garnering financial security and protecting ones own interests instead of energies being diverted toward a system that was / is of little long term benefit.

Of course, their situation is far different from East Europeans and some Africans whose main concern is physical security, and the dream for them is basic survival and Canada is ideal.

But for a Brit: with a long and noble history reflected in every facet of UK life, why would Canada be attractive? high utilisation of natural resourses such as oil, poor city/town planning and increasingly unrewarding investment into Canadian life, must provoke second thoughts for anyone currently thinking of moving here.

Even prisons become beautiful to the imprisoned.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
But for a Brit: with a long and noble history reflected in every facet of UK life.

Tell that to Ireland, India and every other exploited land governed by the good old British Empire.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:54 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

There was an article recently, a very thoughtful and insightful one I thought, about healthcare in Canada for example. There are many research documents on pensions, employment insurance, etc along the same lines ie: the main financial support for these schemes comes from geographical areas where the immigrant populations of the recent 2 decades, is very high and these immigrants are from 'non traditional' countries ie Asia and Africa, Latin America. However, the recipient areas of the funding are populated by Canadians who are largely composed of people that came pre 1980s, and from the 'traditional' european countries.

In addition, services and benefits are and have been pruned back in the past 2 decades, so whilst the new immigrants fund the system, they gain less than their predecessors. Furthermore, commercial corporations are adding to the 'minus equation" with fewer benefits, poorer compensation and all round less stability to newer immigrants than was available before.

If you take Hong Kong immigrants as an example. They realised quickly that the Canadian dream was better achieved by returning to Hong Kong but retaining a foothold in Canada. ie garnering financial security and protecting ones own interests instead of energies being diverted toward a system that was / is of little long term benefit.

Of course, their situation is far different from East Europeans and some Africans whose main concern is physical security, and the dream for them is basic survival and Canada is ideal.

But for a Brit: with a long and noble history reflected in every facet of UK life, why would Canada be attractive? high utilisation of natural resourses such as oil, poor city/town planning and increasingly unrewarding investment into Canadian life, must provoke second thoughts for anyone currently thinking of moving here.

If I read this right you are suggesting that only those form war torn countries would find Canada appealing...what a load of rubbish.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
If I read this right you are suggesting that only those form war torn countries would find Canada appealing...what a load of rubbish.
If you exclude coastal BC, then he might have a point.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:50 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

But for a Brit: with a long and noble history reflected in every facet of UK life, why would Canada be attractive?
History accounts for nothing and has little impact on quality of life.

high utilisation of natural resourses such as oil, poor city/town planning
Surely you're talking about England here?

My view on life in London is that it's impersonal, very hard work, pecuniarily damaging and not fun any more. This is my view, and personal to me. Other people have different experiences and got a lot out of life here, but they probably want different things to me.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't come in the summer. You'll never want to leave.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

All well and good. But it is not exactly news that immigrants benefit the economy because:

a) they fill gaps in the labour market (aka doing the jobs the existing population don't want to do). In the developed world this also means replacing the aging baby boomers in the workforce.
b) they work harder than the cradle Canadians (or whoever, because this isn't a unique Canadian phenomena) because they need to establish themselves economically

As for your last bit, I think it would be better phrased ...

But for a Brit: with a long and ignoble history exploiting the resources of other peoples of the world why would Canada be attractive? A depressed UK housing market and a weak pound that means a massive house and lots of toys may be beyond the reach of those seeking an instant boost to their standard of life. This must provoke second thoughts for anyone currently thinking of moving here.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
All well and good. But it is not exactly news that immigrants benefit the economy because:

a) they fill gaps in the labour market (aka doing the jobs the existing population don't want to do). In the developed world this also means replacing the aging baby boomers in the workforce.
b) they work harder than the cradle Canadians (or whoever, because this isn't a unique Canadian phenomena) because they need to establish themselves economically

As for your last bit, I think it would be better phrased ...

But for a Brit: with a long and ignoble history exploiting the resources of other peoples of the world why would Canada be attractive? A depressed UK housing market and a weak pound that means a massive house and lots of toys may be beyond the reach of those seeking an instant boost to their standard of life. This must provoke second thoughts for anyone currently thinking of moving here.
Re the last para: there is no longer an instant boost to their standard of living. Food quality is lower in Canada, and may even be less healthy. Clothing is of the lowest quality as it must be to reflect inferior demand and sourcing (Canada produces none). For real quality in anything, choice is limited for the average joe, but accessible to the few in the upper income brackets which consequently means those who are well past being the 'immigrant'.

The UK has contributed massively to the world. There's barely anything that Canada has done as a nation of its own volition and what it has done is exaggerated by Canadians.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Re the last para: there is no longer an instant boost to their standard of living. Food quality is lower in Canada, and may even be less healthy.

Evidence please?

Clothing is of the lowest quality as it must be to reflect inferior demand and sourcing (Canada produces none).

Evidence please?

For real quality in anything, choice is limited for the average joe, but accessible to the few in the upper income brackets which consequently means those who are well past being the 'immigrant'.

I was able to afford to live when I first arrived purely on the salary I was able to obtain. Why would this not apply to all immigrants?

The UK has contributed massively to the world.

Didn't it just pilfer the world? In what way has it massively contributed, say, in the last 50 years?

There's barely anything that Canada has done as a nation of its own volition and what it has done is exaggerated by Canadians.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 11:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
In what way has it massively contributed, say, in the last 50 years?
I think it's very easy to argue the case that artistically the UK punches well above Canadas weight. Not just poncy art either, but films, music, general popular culture; in these the output of the UK surpasses that of Canada by far.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 11:05 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Re the last para: there is no longer an instant boost to their standard of living. Food quality is lower in Canada, and may even be less healthy. Clothing is of the lowest quality as it must be to reflect inferior demand and sourcing (Canada produces none). For real quality in anything, choice is limited for the average joe, but accessible to the few in the upper income brackets which consequently means those who are well past being the 'immigrant'.
Again, the same can be said about the UK (especially London) when compared with other parts of the world. Good quality food is very expensive. I also worked for a fashion brand for 5 1/2 years and know where all out clothing comes from and the actual quality of it. Also I think there's got to be an understanding that quality of living does not necessarily equate with being able to buy stuff.

The UK has contributed massively to the world. There's barely anything that Canada has done as a nation of its own volition and what it has done is exaggerated by Canadians.
But this has nothing to do with the standard of living. The Greek and Roman empires have contributed massively to the world? China has? It's not really relevant. I can understand if you think that the UK has more opportunities because it's more varied with its heritage, but tbh that can be a hindrance. The aging infrastructure and lack of modern thinking with an over reliance on past glories can only serve to limit the UK.

I think some of your points make sense, but only for those imigrants who are looking for a quick win. I don't expect to earn more money, I don't expect to have a big house and small mortgage. I do expect changes in our lives where we wish there to be changes. Emigration still has a romantic notion to it and an outdated ideal (for the British) that you'll move to the colonies and own your piece of land etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.