Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Well, toast my arse with a 4 bar heater!
I'll be right over as soon as I find one.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Disclaimer:

Especially grumpy old Brits.
But surely, there are none of those on here?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
However if you keep the car for ten to fifteen years as we do are you taking a hit on depreciation?

I think not others may disagree.
It helps reduce it, but in many cases just driving off the lot you take at least 20%.

I buy a low mileage recent used, under 4000km, usually less than four months old, often for 20% under new, keep it 15 years and pocket the change.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I'll be right over as soon as I find one.
With his Maccano set fully erected.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
With his Maccano set fully erected.
I'll have you know my Meccano set does not swing that way.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Or they've put all their proverbial eggs in one basket to the point where they feel that they can't go back. So, they carry on, poor, miserable and broken. Die an early and sad death, alone and alienated from any sense of humanity.

I think it's probably too late for my early demise, thank you for your prediction though.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

That's fine, but don't extrapolate and generalize.
Yes, quite. I think pretty much everyone is guilty of that on this forum though. That's often from what opinions are made.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it's probably too late for my early demise, thank you for your prediction though.
Good point, the only time you're considered young after 30, is if you die.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:11 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
really.......

Take that type of camera run, run it in any major Canadian city, and if that cameraman was first nation ............
The same commentary would be considered quite valid

Talk to any of the WASP's and they’ll tell you the same story about Canadian immigration
I’ve heard plenty of local Politian’s on the radio talk of our flawed immigration policy , impacting on how Canada used to be, reference to ‘allowing in’ terrorists which simply translates to Muslims these days, reference to ‘those groups’ that abuse the TWP to bring in relatives that is often slurred against Indian and Asians groups

And if you think the BNP rhetoric is racist, think back to what has come out of the mouths of certain First Nation leaders
The point I was making is that no far right, nationalist party who has elected representation at a national or international level exists in Canada.

It does in Britain.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Or they've put all their proverbial eggs in one basket to the point where they feel that they can't go back. So, they carry on, poor, miserable and broken. Die an early and sad death, alone and alienated from any sense of humanity.
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can make a decent argument for these. In the 60s and 70s Canada had two visionary liberal leaders (both big and small L) who transformed Canada from a colonial backwater to a modern liberal democratic state: Lester B Pearson and Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
Canada was a backwater in the 60s. Old colonials in newly independent countries were offered free transport to Canada (first class cruise liners), free housing, and above average incomes, but very few took. Even ex colonies in Africa and Asia were more interesting/engaging than Canada of the 60s. Most opted to return to UK or stay in the colonies until their posts were 'africanised' or 'asianised'.

Is it any better today in Canada? Yes. There are better links to the outside world!!!.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The point I was making is that no far right, nationalist party who has elected representation at a national or international level exists in Canada.

It does in Britain.

What about the CRAP?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Canada was a backwater in the 60s. Old colonials in newly independent countries were offered free transport to Canada (first class cruise liners), free housing, and above average incomes, but very few took. Even ex colonies in Africa and Asia were more interesting/engaging than Canada of the 60s. Most opted to return to UK or stay in the colonies until their posts were 'africanised' or 'asianised'.

Is it any better today in Canada? Yes. There are better links to the outside world!!!.
That may have been true of some parts of Canada but in Ontario there were hundreds, including myself, that were attracted by the growing high-tech industry. In Ottawa two companies were importing many engineers. I was given free passage (providing I stayed for a year) by Computing Devices of Canada ( now General Dynamics, Canada).

My new home was way above anything I could have bought in the UK for the same money ($17000 for a 3 bedroom detached). And it was ready to move into, unlike the new semi I bought in the UK, the floors were a mess, there were no light fittings and the front and back garden was like a tip.

I'm so glad that we made that choice to come to a backwater that has become one of the best countries in the world, rather than stay in a country on the decline.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What about the CRAP?
They disbanded in 2003 and became the Conservative Party of Canada
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B
They disbanded in 2003 and became the Conservative Party of Canada
But do you not think that lurking beneath that Conservative facade is more CRAP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.