Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

[QUOTE=Auld Yin;8073995]
Originally Posted by Easterndawn
My parents moved from UK in 1965, they always owned a car, purchased there own new house in 1960, we went on holiday every year. When we moved to Canada it took them 6 years to own their own house and they never owned a new car again.

I don't know what your point is here. I moved from UK in 1966, had lived in a council flat in Glasgow and neither I nor my parents had ever owned a car. In Canada I have owned a number of houses, including the one I'm presently in, have owned probably 9 new cars and I do not consider myself any more successful than countless other Canadians/ExPats. I consider myself an average person but I doubt I would have done as well had I stayed in the UK.
I think the point here is that it is neither valid nor reliable to take your personal experience and make generalized assertions about the population.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Quite. BE is going to be a self selecting group of on average relatively affluent people.
I have cause to doubt that. It's a self-selecting group of people with access to computers but I've met as many people from this board who are struggling as are well off; and I don't know any of the people from here who gave up and moved back. I do, however, know a bunch of real people who left disappointed.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Left where? Disappointed about what?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Left where? Disappointed about what?
Left Toronto for the countries from which they came, disappointed not to be any better off financially for having moved here. I think the people who stay and make a go of it tend to grind through the poor early years because they feel they can't go back or because there's something terrible wherever they came from. It's only after a difficult start that those immigrants who will succeed start to do well.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Left Toronto for the countries from which they came, disappointed not to be any better off financially for having moved here. I think the people who stay and make a go of it tend to grind through the poor early years because they feel they can't go back or because there's something terrible wherever they came from. It's only after a difficult start that those immigrants who will succeed start to do well.
Or they've put all their proverbial eggs in one basket to the point where they feel that they can't go back. So, they carry on, poor, miserable and broken. Die an early and sad death, alone and alienated from any sense of humanity.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I have cause to doubt that. It's a self-selecting group of people with access to computers but I've met as many people from this board who are struggling as are well off; and I don't know any of the people from here who gave up and moved back. I do, however, know a bunch of real people who left disappointed.
Maybe, but these people weren't scratching an existence at home, at least if they were from the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That's not my experience. I've found it easy, got a decent job, nice place. Very comfortable thanks. What? That doesn't apply to everyone? Well, toast my arse with a 4 bar heater!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:11 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If they immigrated to Canada, surely they are already home!

Why should an immigrant be treated differently to any other employee?

This is the way its done here. So often people claim they are immigrating as the UK is going to the dogs and want a better life. They cannot pick and choose which bits they want and don't want. I guess, take it for what it is and enjoy it or don't do it.
Yes I do agree that if I was there it should be home. I'm just trying to adjust to the idea of actually moving to Canada so at the moment this is home and until I know differently it always will be. That said (and I only say this as I do not know yet) I feel at the moment UK will always be home the place I was born, is so familiar to me and most of all where my family and friends are.

I moved to the Channel Islands for a while but kept my flat in London empty so I could come home when I wished it will of course be very different if I move to BC.

I don't think it's a case of picking and choosing the bits it is everything that I and everyone around me knows is a (now) 4 week minimum holiday and it is difficult to get my head around working for a year with no holidays it seems inhumane.

I also did not state that immigrants should have different rules for anyone to work a year without holiday is crazy IMO
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo

I don't think it's a case of picking and choosing the bits it is everything that I and everyone around me knows is a (now) 4 week minimum holiday and it is difficult to get my head around working for a year with no holidays it seems inhumane.

I also did not state that immigrants should have different rules for anyone to work a year without holiday is crazy IMO
Its not inhumane but its not desirable. Of course if you can get a decent job you'll get more than enough holidays, even over here.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Did you not read what my answer to the quote was? The point was that UK was not as bad as described by OP in 1963. I was raised in council flat (as was my mother and grandmother) until parents purchased their own house. So what is your point!

[QUOTE=Auld Yin;8073995]
Originally Posted by Easterndawn
My parents moved from UK in 1965, they always owned a car, purchased there own new house in 1960, we went on holiday every year. When we moved to Canada it took them 6 years to own their own house and they never owned a new car again.

I don't know what your point is here. I moved from UK in 1966, had lived in a council flat in Glasgow and neither I nor my parents had ever owned a car. In Canada I have owned a number of houses, including the one I'm presently in, have owned probably 9 new cars and I do not consider myself any more successful than countless other Canadians/ExPats. I consider myself an average person but I doubt I would have done as well had I stayed in the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do agree that if I was there it should be home. I'm just trying to adjust to the idea of actually moving to Canada so at the moment this is home and until I know differently it always will be. That said (and I only say this as I do not know yet) I feel at the moment UK will always be home the place I was born, is so familiar to me and most of all where my family and friends are.
From our perspective, as soon as we moved to Canada, that was home. That's where our house was, that's were we lived, it's where immediate family were, therefore home. Britain was the 'old country' where we were born, but not home, we did not live there anymore.

Our home was pretty much the same as in the UK, did not buy new cars, had a small mortgage and went overseas at least twice a month. Life seemed pretty good for us.

it is difficult to get my head around working for a year with no holidays it seems inhumane.
Inhumane in modern times is considered to be treating people or animals savagely. I guess if you consider losing two weeks vacation savagery then I guess it is. Vacation pay accrues as a percentage of earnings, some employers may be willing to let employees take a few days once they have earned it. Also you don't get paid stat holidays until you you've been employed for 30 days.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 5th 2009 at 8:45 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... it will of course be very different if I move to BC...
A bit of BC perspective ...

In the trades the legal minimum of 2 weeks for the first five years and three weeks thereafter is the norm. I don't hear anyone complaining about it. It never comes up in discussions about wages, even with immigrants. If people need more time off they bank hours in advance, or in an emergency ask for the time unpaid.

The flip side is that most people will only work 40 hours a week. It is difficult - almost impossible - to beg or bribe people into working extra hours. Time off is too precious. Winter or summer, there are far too many fun things to do to waste your life working any more hours than necessary. You don't need a ski holiday in the winter because the slopes are on your doorstep. for four or more months you can ski two or three days a week. In summer weekends are for camping, or the cabin, or soaking up the sun on the beach, or for whatever.

Work to live, and adapt your routine to maximize the living time.

Disclaimer:

The above is solely my experience and the anecdotal evidence of the people I have spoken to in the last ten years. It cannot be considered as representative of any other group, sample or population. Especially grumpy old Brits.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:54 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Thank you both for the information.

I'm sure I will be better equipped to understand the adjustments we will need to make after we have made our trip in March.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:05 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The point was that UK was not as bad as described by OP in 1963.

I happen to believe that it was as bad in 1963 as he described. Only 18 years after WWll, the UK was mired in poverty. IMO, living there for the common folk was, for the most part, quite miserable. The slums of Glasgow were atrocious with many people still subjected to sharing toilet facilities. On the first day I arrived in Canada the differences in living standards were very noticable. One could easily rent an nice apartment whereas in Glasgow there were virtually no private rentals available, only council housing, which you had to go on a list for and wait, wait and wait. In 1963 in many areas of UK one had to wait months to have a telephone hooked up. I could go on and on. Things in the UK have improved to the point where I truly wonder why people still want to come to Canada when things are so good back there (that wasn't sarcasm). I've read all the comments about Canada's outdoor living, better opportunities for the kids, more bang for your buck, housewise. All that I take with a pinch of salt. I have been back many times and much enjoy visiting the many regions I wasn't able to see as a youngster. If I could have lived in UK with what I now have/had I wouldn't have considered emigrating. I could easily sell up today, move back to UK and live very comfortably, but my family/friends are here and I experience a most satisfactory lifestyle, for me.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Nov 5th 2009 at 9:08 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator

Never owned a new car, but I do appreciate those who do, and take the hit on the first lot of depreciation so I can save a few bucks
However if you keep the car for ten to fifteen years as we do are you taking a hit on depreciation?

I think not others may disagree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.