Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
To work a whole year without time off is terrible how are people who emigrate suppose to visit home. I'm all for embracing new cultures but this one feels a very bitter pill to have to swallow
a) You negotiate. This is the legal minimum but there is nothing stopping you agreeing a better deal with your employer.

b) Get family and friends to come and visit you.

Employment conditions vary greatly by industry and employer. The law is not particularly concerned about putting immigrants in a better position than the rest of the workforce, but many employers will if you have valuable skills.

Last edited by JonboyE; Nov 5th 2009 at 6:23 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

To work a whole year without time off is terrible how are people who emigrate suppose to visit home. I'm all for embracing new cultures but this one feels a very bitter pill to have to swallow
If they immigrated to Canada, surely they are already home!

Why should an immigrant be treated differently to any other employee?

This is the way its done here. So often people claim they are immigrating as the UK is going to the dogs and want a better life. They cannot pick and choose which bits they want and don't want. I guess, take it for what it is and enjoy it or don't do it.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Prince Edward Island, New Foundland for two, unfortunately Canada is not a perfect world and not all employers adhere to the Standards Act. and don't tell me you can go to the Labour Board of Canada they are almost as useless as the Workmans Compensations Board is.

Originally Posted by The Aviator
PEI Employment Standards Vacation - Min 2 weeks after 12 months continuous employment.

Every province and territory I have looked at sets this as a minimum. Which are the ones you refer to who don't do it?

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 5th 2009 at 6:42 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Prince Edward Island, New Foundland for two, unfortunately Canada is not a perfect world and not all employers adhere to the Standards Act. and don't tell meyou can go to the Labour Board of Canada there are almost as useless as the Workmans Compensations Board is.
Both of these provinces have the 2 weeks after 52 weeks in their standards. An empliyee who has a grievance can file with the Labour Standards Branch. They do investigate and deal with employers who fail to comply with the standards.

From what you say, it sounds like you have had an unsatisfactory experience of these two organisation.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Basically, it sucks whoever you are. I used to get 5-6 weeks holiday, now I'm down to 2 weeks. Two week holiday, visiting the UK (as I need to do every year) and you're done. No time to do anything else inc. sunny holiday in the winter, visit more distant parts of Canada etc. I'd love to see more of Canada/US, but don't have the vacation time, and flights within Canada especially are overpriced.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

No, fortunately I have not had to deal with them in that capacity, but my husband worked in one of them and would tell me horror stories of how people were dealt with. I was also present at many government functions where many of the employees and managment from these departments would get together and I would listen to the way they spoke of people, and the jokes that were made at peoples expense. It totaly disgusted me.

We lived and worked in PEI and to date my husband still does, he is only paid for 3 stats and is only paid overtime after working 55 hours. This is the norm in this province.

=The Aviator;8073903]Both of these provinces have the 2 weeks after 52 weeks in their standards. An empliyee who has a grievance can file with the Labour Standards Branch. They do investigate and deal with employers who fail to comply with the standards.

From what you say, it sounds like you have had an unsatisfactory experience of these two organisation.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep it sucks

Originally Posted by JonboyE
a) You negotiate. This is the legal minimum but there is nothing stopping you agreeing a better deal with your employer.
This. There are people in my office that have negotiated on holiday. Some have 4 day weeks etc.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by brizzle
Basically, it sucks whoever you are. I used to get 5-6 weeks holiday, now I'm down to 2 weeks. Two week holiday, visiting the UK (as I need to do every year) and you're done. No time to do anything else inc. sunny holiday in the winter, visit more distant parts of Canada etc. I'd love to see more of Canada/US, but don't have the vacation time, and flights within Canada especially are overpriced.
Get a job where you have to travel and that'll soon cure your desire to see more places One can get pretty fed up with hotels really quickly.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Get a job where you have to travel and that'll soon cure your desire to see more places One can get pretty fed up with hotels really quickly.
I know. I have done this kind of job before (and I mean worldwide travel) and it was exhausting, but still great fun. Most of my jobs have involved almost no travel or nothing but travel and nothing inbetween
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by brizzle
I know. I have done this kind of job before (and I mean worldwide travel) and it was exhausting, but still great fun. Most of my jobs have involved almost no travel or nothing but travel and nothing inbetween
Never considered staying in hotels much fun. My job was nothing but travel and it got really tiresome. The flying bit was OK, the pilot was awesome
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've travelled a fair bit for work, 260 nights in hotels in one year was my record. At one point it looked viable to be deemed no longer tax resident in Canada.

At first I did the airport/hotel/office/airport thing and even managed to bill more than 24 hours in one day by flying backwards. Eventually it came to me that that was pretty stupid; everywhere came to look like Brampton and life revolved around organizing laundry. I then switched to setting up appointments with gaps inbetween and used the gaps to see whatever was nearby; many US National Parks, the Great Barrier Reef, the aquarium in Amsterdam, all sorts of stuff.

It seems to me that a job with an element of travel can be made to work to good advantage, three years after the end of the heavy travel period my stack of Amex points has dwindled to a half million or so but that's still enough to go 'most anywhere several times.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:23 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Easterndawn;8073835]My parents moved from UK in 1965, they always owned a car, purchased there own new house in 1960, we went on holiday every year. When we moved to Canada it took them 6 years to own their own house and they never owned a new car again.

I don't know what your point is here. I moved from UK in 1966, had lived in a council flat in Glasgow and neither I nor my parents had ever owned a car. In Canada I have owned a number of houses, including the one I'm presently in, have owned probably 9 new cars and I do not consider myself any more successful than countless other Canadians/ExPats. I consider myself an average person but I doubt I would have done as well had I stayed in the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I don't know what your point is here. I moved from UK in 1966, had lived in a council flat in Glasgow and neither I nor my parents had ever owned a car. In Canada I have owned a number of houses, including the one I'm presently in, have owned probably 9 new cars and I do not consider myself any more successful than countless other Canadians/ExPats. I consider myself an average person but I doubt I would have done as well had I stayed in the UK.
Cause or effect though? The act of emmigrating causes people to reconsider their lives and, perhaps, gain drive they would have lacked had they not moved. Maybe it's not going to Canada that worked but just going.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cause or effect though? The act of emmigrating causes people to reconsider their lives and, perhaps, gain drive they would have lacked had they not moved. Maybe it's not going to Canada that worked but just going.
Quite. BE is going to be a self selecting group of on average relatively affluent people. Whether you (this is a general you) did well for yourself here or not does not make it a universal truth for the population of Canada or even every other immigrant.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:35 pm

[quote=Auld Yin;8073995]
Originally Posted by Easterndawn
have owned probably 9 new cars
Never owned a new car, but I do appreciate those who do, and take the hit on the first lot of depreciation so I can save a few bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.