Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I thought the thread was dead, oh well...
Novo isn't the boss of this forum. The thread dies when it dies - admittedly it's a bit zombie-ish right now.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

"By 1960, Great Britain was, without doubt, the scientific and technological powerhouse of Western Europe. The state supported civil technological research and development on a scale more lavish than any other European nation: civil aviation provides a good example. Private industry, too, until the late 1960s, spent more of its own money on R&D, in both absolute and relative terms, than the industries of any capitalist country other than the United States" (Professor David Edgerton, Imperial College)

Of course the Luftwaffe had made a bit of a mess our housing but Macmillan told us, we'd never had it so good, and thanks to Nye Bevan and Labour we'd actually had national universal health care since the late 1940s.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:26 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I doubt any CDN political party would allow this crap though, unlike the Welsh BNP

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=432_1257223111
really.......

Take that type of camera run, run it in any major Canadian city, and if that cameraman was first nation ............
The same commentary would be considered quite valid

Talk to any of the WASP's and they’ll tell you the same story about Canadian immigration
I’ve heard plenty of local Politian’s on the radio talk of our flawed immigration policy , impacting on how Canada used to be, reference to ‘allowing in’ terrorists which simply translates to Muslims these days, reference to ‘those groups’ that abuse the TWP to bring in relatives that is often slurred against Indian and Asians groups

And if you think the BNP rhetoric is racist, think back to what has come out of the mouths of certain First Nation leaders
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Canada may have represented a better opportunity for you personally to acquire the trappings of wealth. This doesn't mean that it was more developed which leads me back to the original question - what non anecdotal evidence do you have to suggest that Canada was 'more developed' than the UK in 1963. Was it more democratic? Was it's human rights better? Was the infrastructure better? Was there more social justice?
You can make a decent argument for these. In the 60s and 70s Canada had two visionary liberal leaders (both big and small L) who transformed Canada from a colonial backwater to a modern liberal democratic state: Lester B Pearson and Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can make a decent argument for these. In the 60s and 70s Canada had two visionary liberal leaders (both big and small L) who transformed Canada from a colonial backwater to a modern liberal democratic state: Lester B Pearson and Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
I don't dispute that Canada was coming on rapidly - or even that it's a proper liberal western democracy. I take issue with off the cuff comparisons about Canada being "more developed" than the UK when this isn't or wasn't actually the case.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Far be it for me to agree with Keith, but I think he was stating the condition of the countries from his point of view and experience in the day. I don't think we can dispute that.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Most companies in Canada only give you 1 and at the most 2 weeks for the first two or three years. Also if you work for a large company, you will be low down on the priority list for vacation time. You will probable find yourself taking vacations in spring, winter or late fall and possible not getting the two weeks together.
Originally Posted by Libertay
Is it right that most employers only give 15 days holiday in BC?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
In 1963 the UK there was still a housing shortage and availability of mortgages was poor, most people still had no bank accouts except for the GPO and few had cars. You had to wait in line to buy a new car and banks rarely loaned to buy a car. New cars were in short supply and a 6 months wait for one was the norm. Food was very expensive.

My standard of living took a big increase on arrival in Canada. My salary doubled and I was able to buy a new house and car in the first year. I was able to take my family on its first vacation in 1964 and my wife could stay at home.

The UK may have improved in many ways but one thing that does seem to have changed since 1963 is that the UK has lost much of what made it a country to be proud of. Germany and France have become the dominant European coutries and the UK is comparable to countries like Spain. Most of it's best people still leave the country for greener fields, much like the Irish used to do.
Totally agree Keith... and I think Oink has given examples of what there was to be proud of back then, nowadays, many people in the UK seem more interested in how the England football team are doing rather than the UK's techniclogical, scientific advancements as a country.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Far be it for me to agree with Keith, but I think he was stating the condition of the countries from his point of view and experience in the day. I don't think we can dispute that.
That's fine, but don't extrapolate and generalize.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
That's fine, but don't extrapolate and generalize.
What he said.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Most companies in Canada only give you 1 and at the most 2 weeks for the first two or three years. Also if you work for a large company, you will be low down on the priority list for vacation time. You will probable find yourself taking vacations in spring, winter or late fall and possible not getting the two weeks together.
Eh? Two weeks after 50 weeks worked (plus stats) is the legal minimum in BC and, I think, most of the rest of Canada.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

My parents moved from UK in 1965, they always owned a car, purchased there own new house in 1960, we went on holiday every year. When we moved to Canada it took them 6 years to own their own house and they never owned a new car again.

OTE=Keith;8073212]In 1963 the UK there was still a housing shortage and availability of mortgages was poor, most people still had no bank accouts except for the GPO and few had cars. You had to wait in line to buy a new car and banks rarely loaned to buy a car. New cars were in short supply and a 6 months wait for one was the norm. Food was very expensive.

My standard of living took a big increase on arrival in Canada. My salary doubled and I was able to buy a new house and car in the first year. I was able to take my family on its first vacation in 1964 and my wife could stay at home.

The UK may have improved in many ways but one thing that does seem to have changed since 1963 is that the UK has lost much of what made it a country to be proud of. Germany and France have become the dominant European coutries and the UK is comparable to countries like Spain. Most of it's best people still leave the country for greener fields, much like the Irish used to do.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 5th 2009 at 5:57 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not all provinces and territorries adhere to this policy. It depends on where you live
Eh? Two weeks after 50 weeks worked (plus stats) is the legal minimum in BC and, I think, most of the rest of Canada.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
PEI Employment Standards Vacation - Min 2 weeks after 12 months continuous employment.

Every province and territory I have looked at sets this as a minimum. Which are the ones you refer to who don't do it?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:02 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

To work a whole year without time off is terrible how are people who emigrate suppose to visit home. I'm all for embracing new cultures but this one feels a very bitter pill to have to swallow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.