Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by JonboyE
But you can't simply lump everyone from South Asia into one ethnic group and everyone from East Asia into another. That is about as useful and accurate as categorizing everyone from Europe and the Middle East as an Ayrian/Arab ethnic group.

All I was trying to get across is that Vancouver is a very diverse place if you consider the number of nations and cultures represented here. It is not less diverse because many of the people look vaguely like each other. Nor does the fact that there are relatively few black people around mean that it cannot be a diverse place.
I get where you're coming from, but the point I was making is that the majority of ethnic minorities in Vancouver come from two regions. The S. Asians are mainly Indians from Punjab, although many do come from places like Fiji. SE Asians are mainly Chinese/HK, although many are Korean/Taiwanese etc. If you go to NY/London you will see Hasidic Jews, Africans, Caribbean people etc, and they are much more diverse places than Vancouver.

Having said that, I'm not arguing that Vancouver isn't a diverse place, just that the vast majority of ethnic minorities here are generally from two regions and lots of other ethnic minority cultures that I'm used to seeing are not present in any tangible numbers.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Actually I posted your earlier remarks as I find the whole mental process of emigration amusing, from the "UK is crap, its better for the kids" justifications before moving to the "cell phones don't work and the NHS/Post Office wasn't that bad after all" initial culture-shock, to the "UK is a hell-hole" justifications later on when wavering (not you specifically).
My list of complaints about Canada still stands today. No place will ever be perfect. If there was another thread about what's wrong with Canada, I'd put what I wrote again and even add more to it. But this isn't the thread to do it.

As it was, during the 2 years I lived in Leeds and the 10+ years I lived in London I was obviously extremely lucky and managed to miss bar-wielding ferrality along with the pedo immigrants on each street corner.
??

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Nov 4th 2009 at 8:30 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:27 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

As it was, during the 2 years I lived in Leeds and the 10+ years I lived in London I was obviously extremely lucky and managed to miss bar-wielding ferrality along with the pedo immigrants on each street corner.
Actually, I totally forgot the time some kids threw a lump of concrete at us in the park and tried to steal our dog. And the friend who got beaten up for being gay and another friend who was hospitalised for being gay, now no longer in London.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I can see only one reason to immigrate to another country and make it successful - Change for the sake of change.

Most immigrating and expecting an sudden change in the quality of life is likley going to be disappointed. The exception would perhaps be those coming from under developed countries, which contrary to what some may think, the UK is not one of them.
It was when I left in 1963.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
It was when I left in 1963.
What was?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

I am sure that statistically I am more likely to be shot in Surrey BC than Surrey UK.

My perception, because I am not associated in any way with drugs or gang activity, is that I am much safer in Surrey BC.

I think my perception is the reality.
Hence why we won't see eye to eye. I'd rather take my chances with Surrey, UK thanks, although White Rock and Whalley are about as similar as Hackney and Guildford.

You may not be targeted as such, but stray bullets from daylight shoot-outs don't tend to just hit their intended victims. A whole lot of crime in both BC and the UK stems from criminal on criminal activity. Difference is that here everyone just thinks it's gangsters playing games, whilst in the UK, everyone thinks that they will be the next deliberately targeted victim.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that statistically I am more likely to be shot in Surrey BC than Surrey UK.

My perception, because I am not associated in any way with drugs or gang activity, is that I am much safer in Surrey BC.

You would really feel unsafe in Surrey UK?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Aviator
What was?
Your quote "The exception would perhaps be those coming from under developed countries, which contrary to what some may think, the UK is not one of them."
The UK was under developed compared with Canada in 1963.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Your quote "The exception would perhaps be those coming from under developed countries, which contrary to what some may think, the UK is not one of them."
I doubt that is true. Lets of some examples of institutions or things that made Canada a more developed country?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:58 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No, it's cos the uk is shit init. Full of racist chav scum waiting to stab you on public transport.
You get cheekier by the day - keep it up!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that is true. Lets of some examples of institutions or things that made Canada a more developed country?
I'd like to see this too
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You would really feel unsafe in Surrey UK?
I wouldn't chose to walk about the center of, say, Woking, at chucking out time on a Friday evening - but fair enough.

I was trying to make the point that perception of crime is more of a reality to most people than crime statistics.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:07 pm

I wouldn't chose to walk about the center of, say, Woking, at chucking out time on a Friday evening - but fair enough.

I was trying to make the point that perception of crime is more of a reality to most people than crime statistics.
I agree. Though I kind of disapprove of your use of 'reality' in this context.

Edit to add: I've never really felt unsafe anywhere; it's not pleasant in provincial town centres at chucking out time, but I can't say I was ever scared of doing it.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 4th 2009 at 9:10 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Given we were going through the Wilsonian "white heat technical revolution" in the early 60s, I'm surprised any technician or engineer of any merit would have left such a strong and vibrant sector.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, i'd say that YOUR perception is YOUR reality. Not THE reality which is the general actual. But i see what you're saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.