Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Also, if you are now threatened in London you can always expect Boris Johnson to be ready to help

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...camden-london1
You see it as funny. I see "three "feral kids" who were wielding an iron bar".
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
But you can't simply lump everyone from South Asia into one ethnic group and everyone from East Asia into another. That is about as useful and accurate as categorizing everyone from Europe and the Middle East as an Ayrian/Arab ethnic group.

All I was trying to get across is that Vancouver is a very diverse place if you consider the number of nations and cultures represented here. It is not less diverse because many of the people look vaguely like each other. Nor does the fact that there are relatively few black people around mean that it cannot be a diverse place.
But they are many ghettoized areas that contain people mainly from the same geographical and cultural region. Vancouver is certainly not a model of the 1960s ideal of a 'melting pot'. Most groups tend to stick with their own kind.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:53 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
You see it as funny. I see "three "feral kids" who were wielding an iron bar".
Still, at least the banks and phones work OK eh?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...91#post6892291
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Still, at least the banks and phones work OK eh?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...91#post6892291
I never said Canada was perfect. I said there were more pros than cons. Would I have stayed in this country if the banks and phones were what would drive me away? Seriously.

Good for you. I'm glad I'm out of there to be honest.
Life for me has been so much better here. Canada is not perfect but there are more pros than cons for me.
It's funny you had to dig through every single of my posts to try and attack me. Come on man, get real and stay on topic.

Oh and add crazy drivers in Canada to my list.

So you'd rather be attacked by ferals kids with iron bars than live with those cons I listed?

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Nov 4th 2009 at 8:03 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:58 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

I can remember in Hackney, there were stabbings and shootings over many weekends. We lived there and we were aware of how much was going on. We moved south of the river and my girlfriend has been attacked by a man in the park. Sydenham Hill is a relatively respectable neighbourhood, but there's a high concetration of people throughout London and a general disregard for other people. This last weekend saw 3 people killed in separate incidents in south London.

The thing that actually wears me down though is the tired, unhelpful faces on the streets of this city that litter everywhere and generally resent the other people around them. If you work in London you generally cannot afford to live away from the poorer areas with higher concentration of unhappy people. It's not their fault, it's the way London works and for many years always has.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But they are many ghettoized areas that contain people mainly from the same geographical and cultural region. Vancouver is certainly not a model of the 1960s ideal of a 'melting pot'. Most groups tend to stick with their own kind.
For sure (though I think ghetto is a pejorative word in these circumstances), but I am thinking of Vancouver as a region (The Lower Mainland) rather than a specific city or neighborhood.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:04 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oicur0t
I can remember in Hackney, there were stabbings and shootings over many weekends.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...4-year-old-man

Happens in most large cities unfortunately, whether Toronto or London. I would still happily live in either.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It is my experience, my opinion and my decision. If you are happy in the UK and I'm happy here in Canada, then that's all that matters. I don't need to convince anyone to move here. The OP asked for our opinions and I gave mine. I don't need analysis to show me what i perceive as reality.
I've corrected that for you
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:12 pm
Hello.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...4-year-old-man

Happens in most large cities unfortunately, whether Toronto or London. I would still happily live in either.
But Hackney is not a large city, it is one of 32 London boroughs. When you have multiple incidents on the same weekends, 15 mins walk from where you live, it does affect you. Hackney is also quite an expensive borough to live in.

My point is the value that you get out of a place has to be worth it. Hackney (and now South London for us) doesn't offer enough for what you have to put up with. The focus generally in London isn't people, it's money and status. Hey it is one of the major capitalist markets in the world. I'm sure there are other places in the world, cities, with a different focus.

Also I'd add, I can happily live in both (Toronto/London), I'd actually live most places. But that says nothing about those places and a lot about me. I'm pretty sure I've not found the best place in the world for us to live, but I'll do my research and discuss with my girlfriend what we could have somewhere else and go for it.

Last edited by oicur0t; Nov 4th 2009 at 8:17 pm. Reason: add last paragraph
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo
thank you
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:17 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

But Hackney is not a large city, it is one of 32 London boroughs. When you have multiple incidents on the same weekends, 15 mins walk from where you live, it does affect you. Hackney is also quite an expensive borough to live in.
Expensive and poor, never a good combination. Many of the serious incidents in Toronto also happen in one might be considered one borough, and again there is no doubt poverty plays its part. The figures from Hackney are quite depressing:

* Population: 205,000
* Average house price: £430,000
* Average income: £25,000pa
* Education:
15 year olds with 5+ A* to C GCSE grades: 17.2 per cent
15 year olds with no passes at GCSE: 3.6 per cent
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I am sure that statistically I am more likely to be shot in Surrey BC than Surrey UK.

My perception, because I am not associated in any way with drugs or gang activity, is that I am much safer in Surrey BC.

I think my perception is the reality.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:20 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I never said Canada was perfect. I said there were more pros than cons. Would I have stayed in this country if the banks and phones were what would drive me away? Seriously.

It's funny you had to dig through every single of my posts to try and attack me. Come on man, get real and stay on topic.

Oh and add crazy drivers in Canada to my list.

So you'd rather be attacked by ferals kids with iron bars than live with those cons I listed?
Actually I posted your earlier remarks as I find the whole mental process of emigration amusing, from the "UK is crap, its better for the kids" justifications before moving to the "cell phones don't work and the NHS/Post Office wasn't that bad after all" initial culture-shock, to the "UK is a hell-hole" justifications later on when wavering (not you specifically).

Of course I'd love to be attacked by "feral" kids with iron bars Perhaps it will show that the UK is in "crisis" and has "gone to the dogs"

As it was, during the 2 years I lived in Leeds and the 10+ years I lived in London I was obviously extremely lucky and managed to miss bar-wielding ferrality along with the pedo immigrants on each street corner.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:21 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The GTA too has many areas that can be subdivided and named, just as London has it boroughs
Our tabloids read just like the UK ones, Crime, incompetent government, schools failing, too many immigrants
Canadians justifications for leaving are almost the same as the Uk, but I sincerely believe that their grievance with weather is justified
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:22 pm
Hello.

Expensive and poor, never a good combination. Many of the serious incidents in Toronto also happen in one might be considered one borough, and again there is no doubt poverty plays its part. The figures from Hackney are quite depressing:

* Population: 205,000
* Average house price: £430,000
* Average income: £25,000pa
* Education:
15 year olds with 5+ A* to C GCSE grades: 17.2 per cent
15 year olds with no passes at GCSE: 3.6 per cent
Yeah not great and not the only borough with problems. Sure London is not all like that but anywhere close to the centre is more expensive, anything further out costs to travel (time and money). London is too big and out of date to be cost effective. It's also too popular!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.