Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:39 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Oink
I suspect the 'career change try something different attitude' is forced by the lack of job security.
I also suspect that Employers having spent $'s training people and building skill-sets welcome this practice with open arms.

Saying that, there's nothing i would love more than to spend years of my life and hard earned personal / tax payers money on career building qualifications only to put it in a drawer and start something completely different

That said, i'm on my 3rd career path. What a hypocrite
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Diversity was a key element in our decision to move to the Vancouver area. The life experience of an Asian person in Britain and Vancouver are wholly different. In Britain you are an outsider, and constantly reminded of the fact. In the Canada we experience the only limit to being "one of us" is the extent you want to join in.

Oink is obviously referring to a different aspect of culture, but in terms of quality of life this is much more important.

I also agree with The Aviator about the business culture. There is a prevailing attitude of "if you want to give it a go, then give it a go".
One of the deciding factors for your emigration was that in your opinion Asian immigrants have nicer time Canada than in England? How did you know this? Is your field cultural anthropology?

Secondly, and I don't mean to be pedantic here but Canada is not really known as an international hot bed of economic innovation and dynamism.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:40 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's been mentioned on here before and it's all a matter of perception. If by moving across the Atlantic allows you perceive your new "home" to be less dangerous, healthier, sane, and better for your children then that's all that matters. Whether in fact it's actually true in real terms is debatable.
Very true.. its been debated on here many times
The statistical data suggests that is not as safe here as in England, but people prefer personal perspectives rather than group averages, One thing to note is it’s much easier in Canada to pretend the problem doesn’t exist than it is in the UK
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Very true.. its been debated on here many times
The statistical data suggests that is not as safe here as in England, but people prefer personal perspectives rather than group averages, One thing to note is it’s much easier in Canada to pretend the problem doesn’t exist than it is in the UK

I agree.

I think many people have romantic notions of life in Canada. That it is somehow safer or better for kids is one of those romantic notions, if not a downright myth perpetuated by people in Britain. I mean, it's no more or no less better for raising kids - it's just different. Different lifestyle opportunities, different value systems, different pressures on the kids from society, etc.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Diversity was a key element in our decision to move to the Vancouver area.
One the the things i'm looking forward to when we move to Vancouver is the fact that i can cook the shittiest tasting dinner known to man and our Canadian guests will still tell me how awesome it is, and smile while they force it down.

Bless 'em
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

One of the deciding factors for your emigration was that in your opinion Asian immigrants have nicer time Canada than in England? How did you know this? Is your field cultural anthropology?

Secondly, and I don't mean to be pedantic here but Canada is not really known as an international hot bed of economic innovation and dynamism.
Truth is nowhere will be perfect if the family have divergent feelings about moving or even staying put. Emigration is a massive undertaking with years of consequences, just as staying where you are requires unity of purpose and vision ie dont be half hearted about moving or staying.

As for 'diversity' in Canada: everyone speaks the same, and differences are 'dumbed down'.....except for a tiny few geographical locations. There's more real diversity in UK, with better appreciation of the fact that we should not expect the world to be a mirror of ourselves.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Truth is nowhere will be perfect if the family have divergent feelings about moving or even staying put. Emigration is a massive undertaking with years of consequences, just as staying where you are requires unity of purpose and vision ie dont be half hearted about moving or staying.

As for 'diversity' in Canada: everyone speaks the same, and differences are 'dumbed down'.....except for a tiny few geographical locations. There's more real diversity in UK, with better appreciation of the fact that we should not expect the world to be a mirror of ourselves.
Vancouver is ethnically quite diverse. Not so sure about culturally.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:59 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Here's my 2p/2c worth:

My wife and I moved to Canada last year. The main reason for our move was because we didn't want our children grow up in England.
We found England to be an unsafe place to live in. Kids (most) there nowadays have no respect for their elders. There are chavs all over the place and it's never safe for you to walk outside at night. There was this constant stress in the head, whether you are on the bus or walking down the street.
I'm not saying that it's 100% safe in Canada but we don't feel that stress anymore. We feel that our kids will grow up in a healthier and more sane environment here than in England.
Would I let my kids walk down in the neighborhood by themselves when they are old enough here? Yes
In England? No chance
Hmmm. I love generalisations.

There are approximately 12,276,600 kids in the UK under the age of 16. Not sure what you mean by most, but using a range of 51% to say 80%, you are stating that between 6 million and just under 10 million have no respect for their elders? Also curious as to how you are defining and measuring respect?

As for violent crime. Looking at Norfolk where I last lived. A large area, not a major urban county, but with some areas of real social deprivation and poverty (those things that often lie behind things like respect, crime etc) the rate is around 0.9 per 1000 people (and I suspect that there would be geographic concentrations of these). Hardly supports the idea that people in the UK don't or can't leave their home at night.

Do you really believe what you wrote?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999

There are approximately 12,276,600 kids in the UK under the age of 16. Not sure what you mean by most, but using a range of 51% to say 80%, you are stating that between 6 million and just under 10 million have no respect for their elders? Also curious as to how you are defining and measuring respect?

As for violent crime. Looking at Norfolk where I last lived. A large area, not a major urban county, but with some areas of real social deprivation and poverty (those things that often lie behind things like respect, crime etc) the rate is around 0.9 per 1000 people (and I suspect that there would be geographic concentrations of these). Hardly supports the idea that people in the UK don't or can't leave their home at night.

I read the Daily Mail and I agree. Who'd want their kids growing up around all these scallys, chavs & hoodies who're ruining our country? Its all White Lightening and ASBOs these days.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Diversity was a key element in our decision to move to the Vancouver area. The life experience of an Asian person in Britain and Vancouver are wholly different. In Britain you are an outsider, and constantly reminded of the fact. In the Canada we experience the only limit to being "one of us" is the extent you want to join in.

I also agree with The Aviator about the business culture. There is a prevailing attitude of "if you want to give it a go, then give it a go".
Originally Posted by The Aviator
The prospect of moving within the UK and staying there filled me with dread. Was pleased to leave. Part of the reason was for the kids, expand their horizons etc. I firmly feel they have done better in Canada than they would have in the UK and the broad diversity of the country allows more opportunity. There is a more open approach to business here as well, anything is possible. In Britain I found that once people trained in a career they tended to stick to it, as that is what they have always done. Not here, people change career like the weather. Try something different attitude and much more relaxed way of working, which some find hard to get accustomed to.
- Well the proportion of asian people in Vancouver is nearly 50% of the population, so it's hardly surprising that someone of asian descent may feel more comfortable here.

- 'broad diversity of the country allows more opportunity' - Wow, I could close my eyes and be listening to a politician here. Seriously, what does this mean? The UK is pretty diverse, with people from all over the world living there. How many black people do you see in Vancouver?

- 'There is a more open approach to business here as well, anything is possible' - Sorry, this may be your view/experience, but I do not agree at all. The UK is well known for it's innovation. My overriding impression of Canadian business is one of protectionism.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

No, but I am perfectly capable of reading and writing, and asking questions and listening to the answers.

Maybe not, but it is still a place where someone from any background can build a life for themselves and their families by taking some modest risks and working hard.

In my experience the barriers of background, accent, education and colour are much less of a factor here, and people are more likely to congratulate you on your success than be bitter or jealous of it.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:23 pm

No, but I am perfectly capable of reading and writing, and asking questions and listening to the answers.

Maybe not, but it is still a place where someone from any background can build a life for themselves and their families by taking some modest risks and working hard.

In my experience the barriers of background, accent, education and colour are much less of a factor here, and people are more likely to congratulate you on your success than be bitter or jealous of it.
I bet there's lots of Asians in India who feel even more accepted than in Canada. Maybe that would have been a better choice?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
- Well the proportion of asian people in Vancouver is nearly 50% of the population, so it's hardly surprising that someone of asian descent may feel more comfortable here.
Well, quite.

- 'broad diversity of the country allows more opportunity' - Wow, I could close my eyes and be listening to a politician here. Seriously, what does this mean? The UK is pretty diverse, with people from all over the world living there. How many black people do you see in Vancouver?
You mean since the Grizzlies left town? You are missing the point. Diversity is nothing to do with numbers.

- 'There is a more open approach to business here as well, anything is possible' - Sorry, this may be your view/experience, but I do not agree at all. The UK is well known for it's innovation. My overriding impression of Canadian business is one of protectionism.
I own a small business and my clients are all small to medium size businesses. In my experience The Aviator is spot on.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999

I've lived in Leeds and London and I wouldn't call them safe places. I've witnessed assaults on buses, violence with knives on trains, vandalism, racist abuse in public places. These are common in the UK and Brits have accepted it. Why should I accept it too when I have a chance make my kids live in a place (at least where I live now) where these acts aren't common?

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Nov 4th 2009 at 5:42 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
I've lived in Leeds and London and I wouldn't call them safe places. I've witnessed assaults on buses, violence with knives on trains, vandalism, racist abuse in public places. These are common in the UK and Brits have accepted it. Why should I accept it too when I have a chance make my kids live in a place (at least where I live now) where these acts aren't common?
I would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.