Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hi brizzle,

he has been looking at jobs I think its on the Canadian immigration site (or some site like that), and there is a job that he can do, he ticks all the boxes although we arent sure if he would need to retrain (again something we have to look into but my husband doesnt want to do this until im sure).
That retraining thing was a big issue for me. I've worked for several years in care support for adults with special needs and learning disabilities. I love the work - it's a true vocation. I have extensive experience in the field, plus training and qualifications. In Canada, though - as the profession's much more heavily regulated out there (not a bad thing, mind) - I'd have to start from scratch. I'd have to take some other job while I studied to gain the necessary qualifications... and that's something I don't particularly relish at my age. I'm happy in my work and don't want to disrupt it now - and, apart from writing for a living (I'd probably starve!), there's nothing else I want to do.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:08 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

So its alot of pressure on me (I feel anyway), and its keeping me awake at night. I have even been up crying during the night because I am so unsure, but at the same time I dont want anyone to think that im not doing whats best for my children, and thinking I dont care for my childrens future.

Jackie
It sounds to me that you really don't want to go and no one should make you feel under any pressure.

One day I feel like leaving tomorrow and the next I think there is no way I can leave my home / friends and my mum.

We are planning a trip in April and it will be then that I make up my mind, even after we have spent all the money and effort getting our PRV if it does not feel 100% the right thing to do then I will stay in London.

All this said because I have no children to worry about just us and our two dogs.

You may come up with difficulties regarding the medical for your child with his ear they will probably ask for a lot of details and more tests. Just something to think about.

We thought it would take years when it only took about 9 months but I will still wait to see until after the visit.

Good luck on your decision
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Its my FIL that I feel is putting the most pressure on me (he means well and is only wanting whats best for his grandchildren). He keeps telling me it will be better for the kids over there, and when I ask him how he knows this, he just says well anyway his better than this dump of a country, but as ive said, he cant give me any proper answers as to how he thinks Canada will be better for my children than the UK will. My SIL also says Canada is better for her kids than the UK and when I ask her why she says it just is. So no proper answers have been given to me.
I think you are wise to keep pushing for the answer, sometimes the negativity of the average Brit assumes the UK has gone to the dogs/hell in a handbasket (and so on) and that anywhere else (Aus, Canada, USA, NZ, SA, even Spain etc) is bound to be better - but they have difficulty in explaining exactly how. Your SIL may still need to justify the move to herself by being sure it was better for the kids, even if she doesn't have any detailed reasons.

In reality most people can get just as much out of a move within the UK than they can moving abroad. I often think the "its for the kids" is the weakest argument of them all.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my 2p/2c worth:

My wife and I moved to Canada last year. The main reason for our move was because we didn't want our children grow up in England.
We found England to be an unsafe place to live in. Kids (most) there nowadays have no respect for their elders. There are chavs all over the place and it's never safe for you to walk outside at night. There was this constant stress in the head, whether you are on the bus or walking down the street.
I'm not saying that it's 100% safe in Canada but we don't feel that stress anymore. We feel that our kids will grow up in a healthier and more sane environment here than in England.
Would I let my kids walk down in the neighborhood by themselves when they are old enough here? Yes
In England? No chance

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Nov 4th 2009 at 3:30 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Your SIL may still need to justify the move to herself by being sure it was better for the kids, even if she doesn't have any detailed reasons.
How would you have any idea about that?

In reality most people can get just as much out of a move within the UK than they can moving abroad.
The prospect of moving within the UK and staying there filled me with dread. Was pleased to leave. Part of the reason was for the kids, expand their horizons etc. I firmly feel they have done better in Canada than they would have in the UK and the broad diversity of the country allows more opportunity. There is a more open approach to business here as well, anything is possible. In Britain I found that once people trained in a career they tended to stick to it, as that is what they have always done. Not here, people change career like the weather. Try something different attitude and much more relaxed way of working, which some find hard to get accustomed to.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator

The prospect of moving within the UK and staying there filled me with dread. Was pleased to leave. Part of the reason was for the kids, expand their horizons etc. I firmly feel they have done better in Canada than they would have in the UK and the broad diversity of the country allows more opportunity. There is a more open approach to business here as well, anything is possible. In Britain I found that once people trained in a career they tended to stick to it, as that is what they have always done. Not here, people change career like the weather. Try something different attitude and much more relaxed way of working, which some find hard to get accustomed to.
Really? You couldn't have taken them on a few tours of European cities? I suppose culturally Florence and Athens pale into comparison to Regina and Edmonton.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:39 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You'll note I said MAY still need.... - If SIL says it was for the kids but has no reasons why then one option MAY be that she is still in the period of justifying the move - many people go through a justification process.

I can agree with expanding the kids horizons, I can't see that the broad diversity of the country allows more opportunity, I'm not even sure what that means.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

As long as its 'for the kids'.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I can't see that the broad diversity of the country allows more opportunity, I'm not even sure what that means.
Business seems to be transacted differently back East as opposed to West, BC is different to AB how things are done. You can have a city life in Vancouver or Toronto, or go to the prairies or northern BC and live a cowboy lifestyle (as my daughter wants to do).

Some industries are easier to get into here, regulations in some industries are more practical than the UK.

What suits one does not always suit another though. Even what suits one family member may not suit a sibling. We also find the opportunities and acceptance of people with disabilities are far greater in Canada.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:49 pm

I suspect the 'career change try something different attitude' is forced by the lack of job security.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:52 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
I suspect the 'career change try something different attitude' is forced by the lack of job security.
I'd have to agree with that statement. Especially in a boom and bust economy like Alberta.

Few of us are lucky enough to have recession proof careers.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:11 pm

It's been that all the time I have been here. I know of a few successful people who quit what they were doing to do something they enjoyed. A lawyer who went truck driving, a roofer who now flies helos, a few have quit jobs to start tourism business as they like meeting people. I really don't think job security has anything to do with many peoples choice to make a career change. It may be responsible for a job change, but a career is more than just changing jobs. Many career changes are complete lifestyle changes.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... the broad diversity of the country allows more opportunity. There is a more open approach to business here as well, anything is possible...
Really? You couldn't have taken them on a few tours of European cities? I suppose culturally Florence and Athens pale into comparison to Regina and Edmonton.
Diversity was a key element in our decision to move to the Vancouver area. The life experience of an Asian person in Britain and Vancouver are wholly different. In Britain you are an outsider, and constantly reminded of the fact. In the Canada we experience the only limit to being "one of us" is the extent you want to join in.

Oink is obviously referring to a different aspect of culture, but in terms of quality of life this is much more important.

I also agree with The Aviator about the business culture. There is a prevailing attitude of "if you want to give it a go, then give it a go".
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Here's my 2p/2c worth:

My wife and I moved to Canada last year. The main reason for our move was because we didn't want our children grow up in England.
We found England to be an unsafe place to live in. Kids (most) there nowadays have no respect for their elders. There are chavs all over the place and it's never safe for you to walk outside at night. There was this constant stress in the head, whether you are on the bus or walking down the street.
I'm not saying that it's 100% safe in Canada but we don't feel that stress anymore. We feel that our kids will grow up in a healthier and more sane environment here than in England.
Would I let my kids walk down in the neighborhood by themselves when they are old enough here? Yes
In England? No chance
I dread to think where you lived. Most kids i know have respect and are very nice and doing well educationally. As for walking down the street, it's dark outside now and i've just survived the walk back from Waitrose and all was safe without a chav in sight.

It's been mentioned on here before and it's all a matter of perception. If by moving across the Atlantic allows you perceive your new "home" to be less dangerous, healthier, sane, and better for your children then that's all that matters. Whether in fact it's actually true in real terms is debatable.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

As long as its 'for the kids'.
Spoiler:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.