Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Were you top of the class?
I was the best in the world.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Clever. The occasionally amusing, but often annoying buffoon would be proud.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Who knocked you off your pedestal?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
No need to be catty - I swear to god you should change your name to drizzle - sounds more appropriate. I was talking about when I was a kid really - don't remember my gran draggin me over the dales in her walker. Yes I'm familiar with the dales and the lakes (My dad lives there) also the peak district - Chester - born there and if you are that familiar with the area you would know you have to pass through to get to Wales. After 20 years here, 3 hours or so is 'popping' for me. Point is there is lots around if you make the effort. The comment was made on the heals that most don't venture more than an hour from home - not a put down of the UK as your overly sensitive manner would see to presume.
Who is being catty and oversensitive? I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of nice places to visit within striking distance of Manchester. I don't need to resort to name calling either. You want to rename me 'drizzle' when you're the one quoting the likes of Blackpool and Morecambe, whilst ignoring the above top notch places that you're entirely familiar with.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:36 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brizzle
Who is being catty and oversensitive? I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of nice places to visit within striking distance of Manchester. I don't need to resort to name calling either. You want to rename me 'drizzle' when you're the one quoting the likes of Blackpool and Morecambe, whilst ignoring the above top notch places that you're entirely familiar with.
did you read my response? It wasn't meant to be all that is good within striking distance of Manchester, but rather to illustrate how many of us tend not to go too far beyond our own doorsteps, at least for the most part.

I did mention North Wales which is argubly the nicest, other than the welsh that is. Your not welsh are you?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A city is a city is a city. I don't much like any of them anywhere. But if you like forest, lakes and mountains (and don't forget the sea), and you still need to make a living, then it is hard to beat Vancouver.
I think that was exactly what we were saying. We are here for the lovely garden as alan puts it. And it is the setting that makes the place special - if one can't see that they are truly blind. Vancouver is a very young city and has as much to offer as a city as does most comparable sized places.

- its not and never will be London or New york - thank god!

And while we are on the subject - there is lots that is great about the city - very walkable lots of interesting neighbourhoods, from point grey, to kerrisdale, to kits to fairview, cambie village, mount pleasant, main, commercial drive, to the west end - denman and its collection of ethnic restaurants and interesting stores, down to english bay, to coal harbour to gas town to the hertigage district to yaletown to robson street. I've wandered these streets for years, still enjoy doing it. Perhaps if you challenged yourself and took it for what it is and stopped trying to find the albert hall, you might appreciate it for what it is. It's not perfect but its home.
Originally Posted by Alan2005
I disagree that a city is a city is a city. Some cities have something about them (it's hard to define what this is) that makes living in them a joy to do. I like living in Vancouver as it's comfortable and clean, but it is kind of meh. Without the natural stuff around it, it wouldn't be any different to reading or nottingham. But here's the thing; it actually does have that natural beauty around it so it isn't like reading or nottingham. It's why I'm here at any rate.
I'm not denying that Vancouver has some really super points, ie. mountains, stanley park etc, but that when everyone is going on about how great Vancouver is, it's the natural scenery/setting that grabs people. The city itself is average. Beautiful garden/so-so house if you will. I also found Sydney/Wellington just as spectacular visually.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

did you read my response? It wasn't meant to be all that is good within striking distance of Manchester, but rather to illustrate how many of us tend not to go too far beyond our own doorsteps, at least for the most part.

I did mention North Wales which is argubly the nicest, other than the welsh that is. Your not welsh are you?
Yes, but you are quite willing to berate me, when I knock Vancouver in some way, but when choosing examples of places on Manchester's doorstep you choose the 'less positive' examples and I'm supposed to be the negative one.

ps. No I ain't welsh - so no offence taken.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:54 pm

I'm not denying that Vancouver has some really super points, ie. mountains, stanley park etc, but that when everyone is going on about how great Vancouver is, it's the natural scenery/setting that grabs people. The city itself is average. Beautiful garden/so-so house if you will. I also found Sydney/Wellington just as spectacular visually.
I think we have been very honest about its short comings - having not been to sydney or wellingtons this is my yard stick - and this is a Canada forum after all . I think in terms of setting it's a stunningly beautiful place. It's pretty unique for a city to be on the edge of the outdoors as Vancouver is.

Do like your beautiful garden - average house analogy.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:03 am

Yes, but you are quite willing to berate me, when I knock Vancouver in some way, but when choosing examples of places on Manchester's doorstep you choose the 'less positive' examples and I'm supposed to be the negative one.

ps. No I ain't welsh - so no offence taken.
It was more to do with you assuming that I was short sticking blighty when I wasn;t. Those were the places we often went to as kids - my gran had a tendency to gravitate to Southport, Blackpool and Clevlies (not sure how to spell it) when we were kids in the 70s. Used to get the coach down. My grandfather lived in Morecambe - hence why I used to get bundled off there during the summer hols. North Wales was by far the most exotic location. Hence why I mentioned them.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

It was more to do with you assuming that I was short sticking blighty when I wasn;t. Those were the places we often went to as kids - my gran had a tendency to gravitate to Southport, Blackpool and Clevlies (not sure how to spell it) when we were kids in the 70s. Used to get the coach down. My grandfather lived in Morecambe - hence why I used to get bundled off there during the summer hols. North Wales was by far the most exotic location. Hence why I mentioned them.
Ok fair enough. Let's leave it at that.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:16 am

Ok fair enough. Let's leave it at that.
Ok. Funnily, i used to think north wales was miles away what with all the preparations that went into it. Extra blankets, flasks of tea, golden wonder crisps, penguins, and potted beef sarnies. Last time I was there, about 3 years ago, i drove it in just over an hour or so!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hello there,

Ive already posted on this board under the "immigration" thread as my husband is thinking of moving to Canada, but im unsure.

Ive never been one that wants to live abroad, I dont know why, its just something Ive never thought of.

We were in Canada on holiday in the summer, and to be honest, when we came back home I really did miss Canada, and thought about it alot. My SIL (husbands sister) and her family live there, and we were very close to them before they moved to Canada last year and I do miss them very much.

My mum says theres nothing here (in GB) and we would be mad not to go, and my FIL and MIL say I should be thinking of our 2 kids because they will have a much better life in Canada than here. Why they think that I dont know because they have only been to Canada for 2 weeks before and that was with us, in the summer. They mean well and are only wanting the best for their grandchildren, but is moving to Canada the best thing for them?
Im now left feeling that if I dont go to Canada, people will be thinking that Im not doing whats best for my children, and that makes me very sad.

Is moving to Canada the best thing for us all?

Why did you want to move to Canada, and can I just ask how long does it roughly take for everything to go ahead? For my Sil it took approx 3 years.

Jackie

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
Having already been nattering on about stuff unrelated to the OP. Thought I should reply

I came here for family reasons (spouse). PR took about 11-12m in all. A holiday and living somewhere permanently are entirely different beasts. Do your homework and think about what it really is you are after?

Is it better for kids? Well perhaps, if you lived in some crime infested industrial city in the UK and moved here you'd think that, as you would if you moved the family to Devon. There is probably more wholesome, outdoor activities for the kids to do, but is the education better? Are the work opportunities better? Not sure.

You should write down what you like about your life in the UK, what you don't and why you want to move to Canada. Some people have moved here and changed their lifestyle and love it (live in the country - mortgage free).

As others have said, think about what Canada's 'pull' is, rather than what is pushing you from the UK. You may find what you are after in another part of the UK??
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:38 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

a million dollars a day is spent on housing and services in the DTES alone. Policing, well we could always use more - but then i'm biased.
Still no reason to waste money on stuff that helps no one. Health care is being cut, education is being cut, then we have a hoopla to open a bridge or entertain Charles and Camilla. Wasting money that could be put to good use elsewhere, helping those in need, cutting taxes, upgrading equipment to the forces that protect the nation and population. I won't get started on all the hoopla in and around Vancouver next February.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:14 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Still no reason to waste money on stuff that helps no one. Health care is being cut, education is being cut, then we have a hoopla to open a bridge or entertain Charles and Camilla. Wasting money that could be put to good use elsewhere, helping those in need, cutting taxes, upgrading equipment to the forces that protect the nation and population. I won't get started on all the hoopla in and around Vancouver next February.
Next feb? Aren't dboy's lot charging a gazillion dollars to do security or something? It's certainly a nice little earner for the RCMP.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point

Having already been nattering on about stuff unrelated to the OP. Thought I should reply

I came here for family reasons (spouse). PR took about 11-12m in all. A holiday and living somewhere permanently are entirely different beasts. Do your homework and think about what it really is you are after?

Is it better for kids? Well perhaps, if you lived in some crime infested industrial city in the UK and moved here you'd think that, as you would if you moved the family to Devon. There is probably more wholesome, outdoor activities for the kids to do, but is the education better? Are the work opportunities better? Not sure.

You should write down what you like about your life in the UK, what you don't and why you want to move to Canada. Some people have moved here and changed their lifestyle and love it (live in the country - mortgage free).

As others have said, think about what Canada's 'pull' is, rather than what is pushing you from the UK. You may find what you are after in another part of the UK??

Hi brizzle,

Thank you for replying.

To be honest theres nothing pulling ME towards Canada, its my husband. If my SIL had never moved to Canada, I seriously doubt that my husband would have ever even thought about the move.

he has been looking at jobs I think its on the Canadian immigration site (or some site like that), and there is a job that he can do, he ticks all the boxes although we arent sure if he would need to retrain (again something we have to look into but my husband doesnt want to do this until im sure).

We live in Glasgow, and we are in a nice part (yes there are nice parts in Glasgow), and im perfectly happy. The pull for my husband well I dont know, because every time I ask him why he wants to go to Canada he just says it will be a better life and we will be probably be mortgage free. Whenever I ask him what will give us a better life, he says it just will.
I have asked him to find out other things that concern my 2 boys (aged 12 & 4). The oldest one has had quite a few operations in his ears. He has glue ear, but, its not sorting itself out, so has been in and out of hospital since he was 5 to have grommets fitted. he still attends the hospital for this, his hearing is way back down again, so may need another operation, so will the medical insurance in Canada cover him for this if he needs more operations? I know this isnt a major operation, but its something that he needs constant medical care for.
My other son has a peanut allergy and I have to carry an epipen about with me, have to give one to his nursery etc. As this can be severe, I have to know (for my own peace of mind) what the "laws" are in Canada for companies who manufacture food if they have to state if foods contain nuts like they do here in the UK. I also need to know that the medical insurance would cover my son for this should he for some reason come into contact with peanuts and take a reaction, after all this could be fatal.

My SIL and BIL who live in Canada say that he SHOULD be covered, but, this is not enough for me, I have to be sure. Whenever I am going on holiday I have had to pay extra for my oldest son (because of the problems with his ears as this condition causes him to get lots of ear infections), and for my youngest, I struggled to get an Insurance Company to cover him for his peanut allergy.

I would be quite happy to stay in the UK, but I have said to my husband that I will think about moving to Canada and I will.

Its my FIL that I feel is putting the most pressure on me (he means well and is only wanting whats best for his grandchildren). He keeps telling me it will be better for the kids over there, and when I ask him how he knows this, he just says well anyway his better than this dump of a country, but as ive said, he cant give me any proper answers as to how he thinks Canada will be better for my children than the UK will. My SIL also says Canada is better for her kids than the UK and when I ask her why she says it just is. So no proper answers have been given to me.

So its alot of pressure on me (I feel anyway), and its keeping me awake at night. I have even been up crying during the night because I am so unsure, but at the same time I dont want anyone to think that im not doing whats best for my children, and thinking I dont care for my childrens future.

Jackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.