Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:45 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by brizzle
Maybe that's because of the lack of opportunities to further your career? I'm sure, I would be more ambitious if the job market for decent jobs wasn't such a dead-zone. Can't disagree with what else has been said here, but there is something that I always find slightly amusing when people say how great Vancouver is and then say it because of the forest, lakes, montains etc, i.e. mentioning nothing about the actual city itself !! The restaurants are good though.
I think that was exactly what we were saying. We are here for the lovely garden as alan puts it. And it is the setting that makes the place special - if one can't see that they are truly blind. Vancouver is a very young city and has as much to offer as a city as does most comparable sized places.

- its not and never will be London or New york - thank god!

And while we are on the subject - there is lots that is great about the city - very walkable lots of interesting neighbourhoods, from point grey, to kerrisdale, to kits to fairview, cambie village, mount pleasant, main, commercial drive, to the west end - denman and its collection of ethnic restaurants and interesting stores, down to english bay, to coal harbour to gas town to the hertigage district to yaletown to robson street. I've wandered these streets for years, still enjoy doing it. Perhaps if you challenged yourself and took it for what it is and stopped trying to find the albert hall, you might appreciate it for what it is. It's not perfect but its home.

Last edited by dboy; Nov 3rd 2009 at 9:57 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:52 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oicur0t
In London it takes a long time to get anywhere, we went to the Peak District this year and it took a looong time.
Brighton for a beach walk, Surrey for hikes and mountain biking, Bushy / Richmond / Kew / Hyde / St James Parks............
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A city is a city is a city. I don't much like any of them anywhere. But if you like forest, lakes and mountains (and don't forget the sea), and you still need to make a living, then it is hard to beat Vancouver.
I disagree that a city is a city is a city. Some cities have something about them (it's hard to define what this is) that makes living in them a joy to do. I like living in Vancouver as it's comfortable and clean, but it is kind of meh. Without the natural stuff around it, it wouldn't be any different to reading or nottingham. But here's the thing; it actually does have that natural beauty around it so it isn't like reading or nottingham. It's why I'm here at any rate.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Or perhaps something worthwhile like low cost housing, health care and more for policing.
a million dollars a day is spent on housing and services in the DTES alone. Policing, well we could always use more - but then i'm biased.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
On the surface the downtown east side doesn't look too bad, although you probably wouldn't want to walk down some of those alleys at night

From what I understand, this is what most of us could afford in Vancouver.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...93032&t=h&z=18
so true - i think that's strathcona - the blue house would be about 950,000 easily if not more.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Without the natural stuff around it, it wouldn't be any different to reading or nottingham. But here's the thing; it actually does have that natural beauty around it so it isn't like reading or nottingham. It's why I'm here at any rate.
I used to live in Reading. Reading with mountains and a beach would still be bloody awful. I have never been to Vancouver but if all it is is Reading with mountains and a beach, I am not too sure what the attraction is. Same could be said about Nottingham. Surely there must be more to Vancouver than that, if what others have to say about it is to be believed?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I used to live in Reading. Reading with mountains and a beach would still be bloody awful. I have never been to Vancouver but if all it is is Reading with mountains and a beach, I am not too sure what the attraction is. Same could be said about Nottingham. Surely there must be more to Vancouver than that, if what others have to say about it is to be believed?
not been to either nottingham or reading - its a nicer city than manchester though!

Vancouver in some places has an overly built feel to it, almost like someone came in and buit it while we slept. So not much in terms of having grown as a city - there are parts that are not like this, but there is a feeling in the newer areas, such as coal harbour, that they are sort of sterile -

Not sure if that helps.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:10 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Brighton for a beach walk, Surrey for hikes and mountain biking, Bushy / Richmond / Kew / Hyde / St James Parks............
Brighton is dirty and the beach is terrible. It's become quite a stressful, overcrowded place. There are better places to hit the coast.

All those places are nice. But for us to get to Kew is about 1 hour minimum. To get to south of Croydon can take 40 mins on average. Anyway, I've done those things. While they're great, I feel it's time for something different and I think the cost (i.e. how much it costs to live here in London) is too great. London has a vibrant nightlife and interesting arts scene, etc. but we've lived here for years and don't feel like taking advantage of them so probably won't miss them. I'm not expecting Vancouver to be 'better' but I am expecting it to be different.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:11 pm
Hello.

Originally Posted by dboy
not been to either nottingham or reading - its a nicer city than manchester though!

Vancouver in some places has an overly built feel to it, almost like someone came in and buit it while we slept. So not much in terms of having grown as a city - there are parts that are not like this, but there is a feeling in the newer areas, such as coal harbour, that they are sort of sterile -

Not sure if that helps.
Like Docklands I'd imagine?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Like Docklands I'd imagine?
Lat year we went back to the UK for a visit and stayed a few days with some friends who live in Wapping Wall. We walked along to the Isle of Dogs where they proudly showed us around Canada Place. Great, I thought, just like downtown Vancouver without the scenery.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:24 pm
Hello.

Lat year we went back to the UK for a visit and stayed a few days with some friends who live in Wapping Wall. We walked along to the Isle of Dogs where they proudly showed us around Canada Place. Great, I thought, just like downtown Vancouver without the scenery.
Yes, it was all funded by Canadian investment irrc.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Brighton is dirty and the beach is terrible. It's become quite a stressful, overcrowded place. There are better places to hit the coast.

All those places are nice. But for us to get to Kew is about 1 hour minimum. To get to south of Croydon can take 40 mins on average. Anyway, I've done those things. While they're great, I feel it's time for something different and I think the cost (i.e. how much it costs to live here in London) is too great. London has a vibrant nightlife and interesting arts scene, etc. but we've lived here for years and don't feel like taking advantage of them so probably won't miss them. I'm not expecting Vancouver to be 'better' but I am expecting it to be different.
The cost of living in London i see no difference to Vancouver so at least it'll not be a shock. Certainly the outdoor and visual options (if you're into natural beauty) are greater than London but if you're living further afield than actual Downtown (Fraser Valley for example) then don't expect to be on the doorstep of the beach, skiiing, etc.

Just be aware of the Joni Mitchell syndrome that many on here seem to suffer from
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It's hard to explain what I mean. Vancouver is pleasant and easy going and therefore it isn't exactly challenging to live here. I'm not inspired by Vancouver itself - but it's location is beyond compare. Maybe I picked bad examples, maybe it would be more like other small Canadian cities such as Edmonton - but I don't know as I've never been there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't really separate Vancouver from it's surroundings - for instance walking along burrard itself is much of a muchness, but then you get a view of the north shore mountains on a sunny winters days and it's actually really cool.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 3rd 2009 at 10:32 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:31 pm

I quite like Canary Wharf. It's visually very striking.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
The cost of living in London i see no difference to Vancouver so at least it'll not be a shock. Certainly the outdoor and visual options (if you're into natural beauty) are greater than London but if you're living further afield than actual Downtown (Fraser Valley for example) then don't expect to be on the doorstep of the beach, skiiing, etc.

Just be aware of the Joni Mitchell syndrome that many on here seem to suffer from
ok what is joni mitchell syndrome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.