Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Or even just a reduction in taxes so I can decide for myself what to spend it on
You already get too much vacation, don't be greedy!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
PS On the Friday night a lot of the studios give out free booze!
Suddenly I find myself appreciating art a lot more.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That basically emphasises how small Vancouver actually is. The gaming industry in Vancouver doesn't have a good rep with the developers I know - code monkey sweatshops is a phrase i've actually heard used (though this was about EA admittedly).
Oh definitely - EA is quite famous for that. It's why the majority of EA staff fled a few years ago and started up their own gaming start-ups, some of which are doing very well for themselves.

And you're right, it definitely emphasises how small Vancouver is. It's small - if you're into one particular scene, be it art, music, fashion, marketing, tourism, cuilinary, video games, etc - you're probably going to know everyone else in that scene very shortly as long as you're actively engaged in the community.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Oh definitely - EA is quite famous for that. It's why the majority of EA staff fled a few years ago and started up their own gaming start-ups, some of which are doing very well for themselves.

And you're right, it definitely emphasises how small Vancouver is. It's small - if you're into one particular scene, be it art, music, fashion, marketing, tourism, cuilinary, video games, etc - you're probably going to know everyone else in that scene very shortly as long as you're actively engaged in the community.
True. So if you're in the video game industry have you ever had a game reviewed by zero punctuation?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hi dboy,

these things dont bother me, but for some reason, my husband seems to think that this will be part of the bigger picture that will "give us a better life"

The thing thats most bothering me is with everyone saying "think of your kids, they will have a much better life over there", but I dont know if they will, maybe they will, maybe they wont, I just dont want anyone thinking im selfish and not doing the best for my children.

Jackie
I would think long and hard if your reasons are mainly for your kids. You have to be happy too or that makes for a miserable family. There are plenty of good areas still in the uk where kids have a great upbringing.

Our kids are having a good time in Canada, but no more than what they had.
I am disapointed in the school. IOM the school they are in is not as good as where they were. We came from a small village that had a great community spirit, which i find is lacking here.

The houses are bigger (for what you get for your money), but there are so many other aspects other than that to look into.

Not trying to put you off, just think about it.

Good luck with your descion.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:17 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Libertay
We have masked people in London too it's quite freaky
There was one sitting in my office all day last week...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
True and there is usually local stuff that you can do for a day or two. In Vancouver you can nip over to the island or the interior or pop down to Seattle (god forbid). There is also Whistler and plenty of local lakes etc to pass the time.

All we ever did from Manchester was Blackpool, Southport, Morecambe or North Wales - usually in the pouring rain.
- Oh come on. Why didn't you go to say, the peak district, yorkshire dales, chester etc. All stunning places and not far from Manchester?

- Nipping to VI, Seattle is at least a 3hr journey (factoring in ferry or border) each way, meaning that you need at least one overnight stay. Nipping (if you want to call it that) into the interior, is about 4/5hrs just to get to Kelowna
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:21 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brizzle
- Oh come on. Why didn't you go to say, the peak district, yorkshire dales, chester etc. All stunning places and not far from Manchester?

- Nipping to VI, Seattle is at least a 3hr journey (factoring in ferry or border) each way, meaning that you need at least one overnight stay. Nipping (if you want to call it that) into the interior, is about 4/5hrs just to get to Kelowna
In London it takes a long time to get anywhere, we went to the Peak District this year and it took a looong time.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

The lifestyle's completely different because it's not focused around career - it's focused around enjoying the beaches, the forests, the mountains, the islands, and the restaurants. It's not about pubs or nightclubs or theatre. Not so much anyway. It's much more of a grassroots city, somewhat of a DIY vibe.
Maybe that's because of the lack of opportunities to further your career? I'm sure, I would be more ambitious if the job market for decent jobs wasn't such a dead-zone. Can't disagree with what else has been said here, but there is something that I always find slightly amusing when people say how great Vancouver is and then say it because of the forest, lakes, montains etc, i.e. mentioning nothing about the actual city itself !! The restaurants are good though.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:34 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oicur0t
In London it takes a long time to get anywhere, we went to the Peak District this year and it took a looong time.
About 2 hours just to get out of London!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I encourage you to explore East Hastings via Google Street View to see what it's really like. It'll put things into perspective. It's not so much East Hastings as it is Carrall and Cordova and the few blocks surrounding.

http://tinyurl.com/yjp4lew
On the surface the downtown east side doesn't look too bad, although you probably wouldn't want to walk down some of those alleys at night

From what I understand, this is what most of us could afford in Vancouver.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...93032&t=h&z=18
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:36 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

No need to be catty - I swear to god you should change your name to drizzle - sounds more appropriate. I was talking about when I was a kid really - don't remember my gran draggin me over the dales in her walker. Yes I'm familiar with the dales and the lakes (My dad lives there) also the peak district - Chester - born there and if you are that familiar with the area you would know you have to pass through to get to Wales. After 20 years here, 3 hours or so is 'popping' for me. Point is there is lots around if you make the effort. The comment was made on the heals that most don't venture more than an hour from home - not a put down of the UK as your overly sensitive manner would see to presume.

Last edited by dboy; Nov 3rd 2009 at 9:39 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

From what I understand, this is what most of us could afford in Vancouver.
You can afford that?

Lend us a tenner.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can afford that?

Lend us a tenner.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

something that I always find slightly amusing when people say how great Vancouver is and then say it because of the forest, lakes, montains etc, i.e. mentioning nothing about the actual city itself !! The restaurants are good though.
A city is a city is a city. I don't much like any of them anywhere. But if you like forest, lakes and mountains (and don't forget the sea), and you still need to make a living, then it is hard to beat Vancouver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.