Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005
And I don't see any sense of community in the tech industry - it's just a bunch of people doing jobs - like anywhere else in the world.
It may not be evident to an outsider, but if you're involved in the tech industry (or in my situation, the gaming industry) there is definitely a sense of community in Vancouver, as most people have worked with one another over the years. Again, not obvious unless you yourself are involved, but there's a huge network of people here supporting one another, and they all end up partying with one another - it definitely feels like a community.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:20 pm
London -Vancouver bound

Libertay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lychee
I encourage you to explore East Hastings via Google Street View to see what it's really like. It'll put things into perspective. It's not so much East Hastings as it is Carrall and Cordova and the few blocks surrounding.

http://tinyurl.com/yjp4lew
Many thanks we have been spending most evenings on google street map it's a god send
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Oh come on - It's not content at all! The media is constantly banging on about putting Vancouver on the map, how it's a world class city etc etc. And whenever there are initiatives such as some push for greenness it is never just a good thing in itself, it has to be that Vancouver has to be the "greenest" city in the world. Gayest, bike friendliest, etc, it's laughable.
That just sounds more to me like a city that is proud of itself and trying to be the best at what it strives to do. Not like a city that is trying to replicate New York or London? I don't think you'd find even a small town that doesn't big up its own positives, whatever the scale of them. Don't get all defensive, it's just my own opinion. Like I said, I don't even know how I came to it.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonfiction
That just sounds more to me like a city that is proud of itself and trying to be the best at what it strives to do. Not like a city that is trying to replicate New York or London? I don't think you'd find even a small town that doesn't big up its own positives, whatever the scale of them. Don't get all defensive, it's just my own opinion. Like I said, I don't even know how I came to it.
I'm not defensive - I am right.

Read again what I said (which is what you just said).

That's the thing for me. Vancouver is like a provincial city in the UK that is always trying to big itself up.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 3rd 2009 at 7:33 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

I'm not defensive - I am right.
Lol. Ok.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libertay
Many thanks we have been spending most evenings on google street map it's a god send
Careful, Google doesn't show up Swine Flu on its street view option.

That said, if you look carefully you should be able to make out the sheer panic on the face of pedestrians so you know which quarantined areas you need to avoid.

Don't forget to exchange your common sense with a mask / breathing apparatus at the airport on your way out.

Last edited by el_richo; Nov 3rd 2009 at 7:43 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
It may not be evident to an outsider, but if you're involved in the tech industry (or in my situation, the gaming industry) there is definitely a sense of community in Vancouver, as most people have worked with one another over the years. Again, not obvious unless you yourself are involved, but there's a huge network of people here supporting one another, and they all end up partying with one another - it definitely feels like a community.
That basically emphasises how small Vancouver actually is. The gaming industry in Vancouver doesn't have a good rep with the developers I know - code monkey sweatshops is a phrase i've actually heard used (though this was about EA admittedly).
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I find it surprising that Vancouver doesn't have better arts funding and good galleries just because it seems to be mostly made up of arty types (that's based purely on the people I've met here). I wish they would put more funding into arts as I find the downtown core escpecially could do with some creativity.
Or perhaps something worthwhile like low cost housing, health care and more for policing.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:42 pm
London -Vancouver bound

Libertay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Careful, Google doesn't show up Swine Flu on its street view option.

That said, if you look carefully you should be able to make out the sheer panic on the face of pedestrians so you know which quarantined areas you need to avoid.

Don't forget to exchange your common sense with a mask / breathing apparatus at the airport on your way out.
We have masked people in London too it's quite freaky
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I've not seen any other than the small number of regular cyclists who wear them for other reasons
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

This might be well circulated already, but thought it put the old swine flu into perspective a little - http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelpaukner/4052849920/
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Or perhaps something worthwhile like low cost housing, health care and more for policing.
Or even just a reduction in taxes so I can decide for myself what to spend it on
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Good point
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:47 pm

This might be well circulated already, but thought it put the old swine flu into perspective a little - http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelpaukner/4052849920/
Nice graph.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I find it surprising that Vancouver doesn't have better arts funding and good galleries just because it seems to be mostly made up of arty types (that's based purely on the people I've met here). I wish they would put more funding into arts as I find the downtown core escpecially could do with some creativity.
Have a look at www.eastsideculturecrawl.com. A free 3 days arts festival. From the mainstream to the alternative - it will give you a good feel for the vibrant visual arts scene in Vancouver.

PS On the Friday night a lot of the studios give out free booze!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.