Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:51 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Libertay
It does seem very little when minimum UK is 20.. I believe I was lucky in my last position with 30 days holiday..

(Note when saying about my mum staying I meant she could come for a month not I would have a month holiday)

Sorry if this is off topic but could someone let me know the standard working hours in a day for Vancouver BC?
8 hours a day is standard - although a lot of companies do allow 4 day weeks of 10 hours which i really like. Some Fed jobs do thing called flex days where you work 9 hour days and one week work 4 days and the next 5 so every other weekend is a 3 day weekend. Maybe this is why they get away with less holidays as you work week is more compact?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
My french colleagues get waaay more. 40 days a year is the norm plus bank holidays.

That said, i'm lucky as so far this year i've had 6 weeks off to date, and 2 weeks at xmas. Not too shabby. I would dread having a minuscule number of paid time off and would probably be in the same mindset as Alan.

My work is fairly stressful and if i only had 2 or 3 weeks per year to deal with it, i'd go mental
When I was in the Civil Service, as just a menial AO, I had 25 days, plus about 8 grace-and-favour days, plus Bank Holidays, plus flexi-days, PLUS a shopping day at Christmas!

And before anyone starts going on about public sector cuts needed... it was a very stressful job. After 5 years, I got out before I fizzled out...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
When I was in the Civil Service, as just a menial AO, I had 25 days, plus about 8 grace-and-favour days, plus Bank Holidays, plus flexi-days, PLUS a shopping day at Christmas!

And before anyone starts going on about public sector cuts needed... it was a very stressful job. After 5 years, I got out before I fizzled out...
Yes I can imagine. Those xmas crowds on your shopping day off must have been tough.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes I can imagine. Those xmas crowds on your shopping day off must have been tough.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:22 pm

Thanks for the reply I was just reading some of your other posts

I realise we can only know so much as we have not visited the place but we have done so much research and now that google has Vancouver street map it can give you an idea.

I read lots about the climate being similar to here with more defined seasons (lots of rain but not too much drizzle).

I may be way off the mark but I see it as a kind of mini London lots to do without the levels of dirt and unhappy people.

I have quite a few Canadian friends here and they all say that Vancouver is much friendlier than London.

I have a lot of friends here so I think if I can make friends in London then I should be able to make friends in Vancouver

We don't have any children to worry about but do have two dogs that come a very high priority in our lives so we do not have the worry of children settling in a new place.
I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a mini london, but there is more breadth of things to do here with an emphasis on the outdoors but not the arts. Walks by the beach, parks, lakes, mountain hikes, skiing in the summer, best mountain/downhill biking in the world, scuba, sailing, kayaking and of course skiing. The outdoors is truly at your doorstep. From downtown you can be on the top of grouse mountain in around 40 mins or even less.

Vancouver lacks heritage and the fine arts such as world class museums, galleries, operas etc, although there are plans to move the present art gallery to a new purpose built facility which is hoped will anchor a new arts and cultural district along the old expo lands - and a new national maritime museum on the north shore. I think the city recognizes its short comings in the regard and is addressing them, albeit slowly.

No pub culture which is an adjustment. People tend to go out for meals (lots of great restaurants here) or to each others homes - very much a barbecue mentality in the summer months. Things might change though as the city has loosened up some of it;s overly restrictive bylaws allowing booze to be served till 2 am at restaurants (used to be midnight). Definitely not much of a happening night life here though.

Downsides in my mind are the shocking real estate costs and traffic. Public transit is not great outside of the city and is certainly not on a par with London. There are plans to build a city wide tram system which might be good though. There is also a problem with begging in the CBD due to proximity to the DTES - although you do get used to it - bit of a pain though.

Weather is a mixed bag - great summers and late springs/early fall but a bit dreary and wet in the winter/fall months - sure is splendid at the minute though.

Vancouver is very much a work in progress. It is nice place to live, some from major cities like London or New York might find it a bit sleepy though.

Last edited by dboy; Nov 3rd 2009 at 5:27 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
... Vancouver lacks heritage and the fine arts such as world class museums, galleries, operas etc ...... some from major cities like London or New York ...
It is a fair comment if you are comparing Vancouver to London or New York (or most European capitals). I agree that, Emily Carr excepted, the Vancouver Art Gallery is disappointing if you compare it to the art galleries we are used to in London.

However, once you let go of the idea that Art is European Fine Art then there is a thriving visual arts scene in Vancouver. The boundaries between fine art and applied art are blurred, and there is a wonderful mix of influences from all around the world as well as native culture. Tour some of the workshops on Granville Island or visit 1000 Parker Street on the next cultural crawl. I am not saying it is all good, but then that is the nature of the creative process. The important thing for the health of the city is that it is being done.

The Museum of Anthropology is regarded by many as of world-wide importance.

Vancouver has its own symphony orchestra and opera company. Not the LSO or ROH agreed, but certainly equivalent to the standard of the provincial cities in the UK. We are also on the touring schedules of many international artistes. Again, not the celebrity list you get in London or New York, but musicians and performers who can satisfy most yearnings.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is a fair comment if you are comparing Vancouver to London or New York (or most European capitals). I agree that, Emily Carr excepted, the Vancouver Art Gallery is disappointing if you compare it to the art galleries we are used to in London.

However, once you let go of the idea that Art is European Fine Art then there is a thriving visual arts scene in Vancouver. The boundaries between fine art and applied art are blurred, and there is a wonderful mix of influences from all around the world as well as native culture. Tour some of the workshops on Granville Island or visit 1000 Parker Street on the next cultural crawl. I am not saying it is all good, but then that is the nature of the creative process. The important thing for the health of the city is that it is being done.

Vancouver has its own symphony orchestra and opera company. Not the LSO or ROH agreed, but certainly equivalent to the standard of the provincial cities in the UK. We are also on the touring schedules of many international artistes. Again, not the celebrity list you get in London or New York, but musicians and performers who can satisfy most yearnings.
That's the thing for me. Vancouver is like a provincial city in the UK that is always trying to big itself up. This annoyed me at first, now I find it funny. We all know that Vancouver itself isn't that exciting - but it's good enough and we are all here for the garden anyway.

I like the museum of anthropology though and it is unique; the problem I have with it is that it's not big enough. Most other art galleries in Vancouver suffer from extremely poor curation - whenever I go and see an exhibition it looks like it's been set up as a student project rather than by people who actually know what they are doing.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom

I guess everyones idea of stressful is different. When I worked for HM we had a blast. There was the odd stressful moment though .
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE

I agree - I've never been a artsy type anyway. Been to the art gallery once, never to the sympthony - I was involved in the investigation that lead to the recovery of the stolen Bill Reid Exhibits, was there when we located them - did my bit to preserve our heritage. I did read there is 55 million dollar expansion of the place underway. Not too many who visit seem to know where it it though.

True about the high tech - some big names are coming to vancouver for its cgi stuff such as domain and pixair. Nintendo are also opening a place on vancouver new hi-tech hub - virtual way.

I do hope the planned move of the art gallery goes ahead where the plaza of nations is - i do think vancouver 5 years from now will be punching way above its weight class, it may already be.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:40 pm
London -Vancouver bound

Libertay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a mini london, but there is more breadth of things to do here with an emphasis on the outdoors but not the arts. Walks by the beach, parks, lakes, mountain hikes, skiing in the summer, best mountain/downhill biking in the world, scuba, sailing, kayaking and of course skiing. The outdoors is truly at your doorstep. From downtown you can be on the top of grouse mountain in around 40 mins or even less.

Vancouver lacks heritage and the fine arts such as world class museums, galleries, operas etc, although there are plans to move the present art gallery to a new purpose built facility which is hoped will anchor a new arts and cultural district along the old expo lands - and a new national maritime museum on the north shore. I think the city recognizes its short comings in the regard and is addressing them, albeit slowly.

No pub culture which is an adjustment. People tend to go out for meals (lots of great restaurants here) or to each others homes - very much a barbecue mentality in the summer months. Things might change though as the city has loosened up some of it;s overly restrictive bylaws allowing booze to be served till 2 am at restaurants (used to be midnight). Definitely not much of a happening night life here though.

Downsides in my mind are the shocking real estate costs and traffic. Public transit is not great outside of the city and is certainly not on a par with London. There are plans to build a city wide tram system which might be good though. There is also a problem with begging in the CBD due to proximity to the DTES - although you do get used to it - bit of a pain though.

Weather is a mixed bag - great summers and late springs/early fall but a bit dreary and wet in the winter/fall months - sure is splendid at the minute though.

Vancouver is very much a work in progress. It is nice place to live, some from major cities like London or New York might find it a bit sleepy though.
Thank you very much for the information very helpful.

What is CBD and DTES?

In your opinion how far is it sensible to live from East Hastings?

(sorry for the random questions)
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What is CBD and DTES?

Central Business District. DownTown EastSide.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

What is CBD and DTES?

CBD = Central Business District
DTES = Downtown Eastside

East Hastings is a very very long street - most of it's perfectly fine. It's the few blocks around Main and Hastings that's sketchy. You wouldn't live near there anyway. You won't just accidentally end up there. It's a small area, regardless. One block away from East Hastings are perfectly fine neighbourhoods. Chinatown essentially starts at Main and Hastings. I wouldn't worry about proximity to East Hastings if I were you. The weird thing about Vancouver, especially the downtown peninsula, is that you can have sketchy areas and one block over, or even around the corner, you can have elite yuppy residential blocks with high end restaurants and what have you.

Last edited by Lychee; Nov 3rd 2009 at 6:50 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

What is CBD and DTES?

I encourage you to explore East Hastings via Google Street View to see what it's really like. It'll put things into perspective. It's not so much East Hastings as it is Carrall and Cordova and the few blocks surrounding.

http://tinyurl.com/yjp4lew
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's the thing for me. Vancouver is like a provincial city in the UK that is always trying to big itself up. This annoyed me at first, now I find it funny. We all know that Vancouver itself isn't that exciting - but it's good enough and we are all here for the garden anyway.
It's funny you say that because I got the complete opposite impression that it wasn't trying to be a New York or London like Toronto does. It seems quite content with the type of city it is - a visually stunning playground. I wonder where we both get these conclusions from? I don't really know why I think that.

I find it surprising that Vancouver doesn't have better arts funding and good galleries just because it seems to be mostly made up of arty types (that's based purely on the people I've met here). I wish they would put more funding into arts as I find the downtown core escpecially could do with some creativity.

I think the statement that it isn't that exciting is a bit off the mark, perhaps it depends on what you find exciting. The longer I stay here, the more exciting things (to me) I see developing. It seems in the tech/software/web/etc industry it's really just starting to kick off in a big way and there is a strong sense of community within it. Which is exciting for me as I'm a total nerd. Also, while the licensing laws seem archaic it's no reflection on the people here, they still like a drink and to socialise/party. The more Canadians I meet the more I am finding there is a lot more to them than their polite exteriors. It also helps that everyone in Vancouver seems to be from anywhere but Vancouver. Even the Canadians here are mostly from Ontario. Everyone is on an adventure away from home
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by simonfiction
It's funny you say that because I got the complete opposite impression that it wasn't trying to be a New York or London like Toronto does. It seems quite content with the type of city it is - a visually stunning playground. I wonder where we both get these conclusions from? I don't really know why I think that.

I find it surprising that Vancouver doesn't have better arts funding and good galleries just because it seems to be mostly made up of arty types (that's based purely on the people I've met here). I wish they would put more funding into arts as I find the downtown core escpecially could do with some creativity.

I think the statement that it isn't that exciting is a bit off the mark, perhaps it depends on what you find exciting. The longer I stay here, the more exciting things (to me) I see developing. It seems in the tech/software/web/etc industry it's really just starting to kick off in a big way and there is a strong sense of community within it. Which is exciting for me as I'm a total nerd. Also, while the licensing laws seem archaic it's no reflection on the people here, they still like a drink and to socialise/party. The more Canadians I meet the more I am finding there is a lot more to them than their polite exteriors. It also helps that everyone in Vancouver seems to be from anywhere but Vancouver. Even the Canadians here are mostly from Ontario. Everyone is on an adventure away from home
Oh come on - It's not content at all! The media is constantly banging on about putting Vancouver on the map, how it's a world class city etc etc. And whenever there are initiatives such as some push for greenness it is never just a good thing in itself, it has to be that Vancouver has to be the "greenest" city in the world. Gayest, bike friendliest, etc, it's laughable. And I don't see any sense of community in the tech industry - it's just a bunch of people doing jobs - like anywhere else in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.