Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Whoopi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by JAJ

EU defacement of the British passport?

That will do for starters.
I am looking at my British passport prior to taking it to CHC in London for my shiny visa... It doesn't appear to be defaced...

Hmm....
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah - it's hardly an incentive though is it. It would be better just to give employees the option of buying extra holiday. All this makes me realize how lucky I was being able to transfer my job here rather than start from scratch.
In practice the change in holiday pay will probably coincide with an annual inflationary pay rise, so its likely to be hidden in that. Even if it doesnt your annual take home pay remains the same, its not really going down, even if it looks that way...

If you can get a transfer here and keep all the UK benefits then good for you. The rest of us just have to go with the Canadian flow, few of us are so fantastically employable that we can afford to make far reaching demands at hiring time, especially ones that will set precedents for the rest of the work force
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:24 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I get 24 days which I think is excellent by Canadian standards. Though I lost 6 when I transferred over here... grrr!
I do well - i get 5 weeks plus 10 stats plus 2 weeks for being on call. I also can convert overtime to time off. I also find being on a 4 door week that it's plenty. I have carried unused time off from year to year and currently have close to 4 months of leave banked from when I worked patrol!

Something else here is the casual approach many employers have to giving you 'the rest of day off' or time in between stats around xmas to give you time off. We have a single dad at work and he has extraordinary flexibility around his schedule for day care issues.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't work for less than that amount of vacation time a year and anyone offering less will be missing out on my services (and I'm very good at what I do, even if I do say so myself)
Well then I guess we would be one of the companies missing out on your outstanding abilities. I feel sure we'll survive the loss though.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Well then I guess we would be one of the companies missing out on your outstanding abilities. I feel sure we'll survive the loss though.
Haha, don't worry. I realize what side my breads buttered. I'm staying where I am.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
In practice the change in holiday pay will probably coincide with an annual inflationary pay rise, so its likely to be hidden in that. Even if it doesnt your annual take home pay remains the same, its not really going down, even if it looks that way...

If you can get a transfer here and keep all the UK benefits then good for you. The rest of us just have to go with the Canadian flow, few of us are so fantastically employable that we can afford to make far reaching demands at hiring time, especially ones that will set precedents for the rest of the work force
Just curious... why is it that their vacation times are short? Is it a different work ethic? Is it about maximising productivity? And are Canadians, in general, satisfied with the arrangements when they compare them to the holidays we enjoy. In my 30 years of work, even the stingiest employer gave me a month on full pay.

Perhaps our unions are just better at negotiating and securing employee benefit deals

Last edited by MartianTom; Nov 3rd 2009 at 4:31 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I do well - i get 5 weeks plus 10 stats plus 2 weeks for being on call. I also can convert overtime to time off. I also find being on a 4 door week that it's plenty. I have carried unused time off from year to year and currently have close to 4 months of leave banked from when I worked patrol!

Something else here is the casual approach many employers have to giving you 'the rest of day off' or time in between stats around xmas to give you time off. We have a single dad at work and he has extraordinary flexibility around his schedule for day care issues.
And then there are those that have to work for a living
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:31 pm

I never said it was illegal. I wouldn't impose laws on employers anyway - it's up to employee's to negotiate their own holiday rates either through unions or individually. The fact is anything less than 20 days sucks. I wouldn't work for less than that amount of vacation time a year and anyone offering less will be missing out on my services (and I'm very good at what I do, even if I do say so myself)
I agree - when i started in the police i was shocked to find only three weeks off a year - although we did get an extra day off every 6 weeks for working 12 hours shifts (which is where the bulk of my banked time is from). Given the stress in policing, i see it has a real problem. Mind you we have unlimited sick days. Which is another thing I don't get. My OH gets 5 sick days a year which she is expected to use or lose????????? Why not give an extra week off instead. Seems very odd to me.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lot of spare time. I hope you don't spend it eating doughnuts.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And then there are those that have to work for a living
It's taken me 10 years though. I'm staring to slow down a bit these days and actually take some time for myself. I see way too many burnt out cops around me - thus why i took yesterday and today off - just for the hell of it.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:33 pm

I agree - when i started in the police i was shocked to find only three weeks off a year - although we did get an extra day off every 6 weeks for working 12 hours shifts (which is where the bulk of my banked time is from). Given the stress in policing, i see it has a real problem. Mind you we have unlimited sick days. Which is another thing I don't get. My OH gets 5 sick days a year which she is expected to use or lose????????? Why not give an extra week off instead. Seems very odd to me.
I never understood the sick pay thing. My current employer doesn't do that fortunately (and this applies to the entire office, not just me).
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
Just curious... why is it that their vacation times are short? Is it a different work ethic? Is it about maximising productivity? And are Canadians, in general, satisfied with the arrangements when they compare them to the holidays we enjoy. In my 30 years of work, even the stingiest employer gave me a month on full pay.

In my experience, Canadians simply wouldn't believe you. I have found that it is not the case of being able to convince Canadians that a system is better, it's the ability to convince them that there is another system. If it is not contained in a textbook, or if a "Professor" hasn't published an article about it, to Canadians, it doesn't exist.

Perhaps our unions are just better at negotiating and securing employee benefit deals
Don't you mean "their's"
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its just a North American thing as far as I can tell...work hard, play hard etc etc. Could be union related, but the UAW at its peak was very powerful over here, getting great benefit deals etc, and yet vacation time never really came up as an issue.

To be honest after a dozen years here it doesnt really bother me, but then I enjoy my job and dont have a lot to get stressed out about, so no great desire to escape for weeks at a time... Just as well really

It does seem to be an attitude that is slowly shifting though, maybe in part due to the experience of all the immigrants in other places, and in part as employers see the value in productivity, sick pay rates and staff retention of giving more time off. Its slow progress though, especially in "traditional" jobs in manufacturing or the skilled trades.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 3rd 2009 at 4:39 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My french colleagues get waaay more. 40 days a year is the norm plus bank holidays.

That said, i'm lucky as so far this year i've had 6 weeks off to date, and 2 weeks at xmas. Not too shabby. I would dread having a minuscule number of paid time off and would probably be in the same mindset as Alan.

My work is fairly stressful and if i only had 2 or 3 weeks per year to deal with it, i'd go mental
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Its just a North American thing as far as I can tell...work hard, play hard etc etc. Could be union related, but the UAW at its peak was very powerful over here, getting great benefit deals etc, and yet vacation time never really came up as an issue.

To be honest after a dozen years here it doesnt really bother me, but then I enjoy my job and dont have a lot to get stressed out about, so no great desire to escape for weeks at a time... Just as well really

It does seem to be an attitude that is slowly shifting though, maybe in part due to the experience of all the immigrants in other places, and in part as employers see the value in productivity, sick pay rates and staff retention of giving more time off. Its slow progress though, especially in "traditional" jobs in manufacturing or the skilled trades.
Yep, plus we look like a vacation mecca compared to the US!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.