Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by JAJ
The ban on Britain controlling immigration from other EU states?
Obligation to give those from other EU states full access to British education facilities?
Extradition on demand of British citizens to other EU states?
EU defacement of the British passport?

That will do for starters.
Really can't be arsed to read the whole thread, but this is just such crap I couldn't let it pass, so apologies if somebody else has already jumped on him.
  • Ban on Britain controlling immigration from other EU states = the right of Britons to live and work in any other EU state, providing all sorts of opportunities for anybody without a narrowminded "Britain is Best" attitude to go out and live a little.
  • Obligation to educate EU citizens: again, this is reciprocal, and gives thousands of British students the opportunity to study abroad, broaden their minds, and hopefully limit the spread of the sort of xenophobic claptrap found in posts like this
  • Extradition on demand - OK, so there is potentially a point here... the case of Andrew Symeou springs to mind. But the European Arrest Warrant is no more damaging than the asymmetric extradition agreement with the US that has led to Gary McKinnon being sent to the US for trial. Not the EU's fault.
  • EU "defacement" of British passport? Oh, FFS, that's just ridiculous. It's a passport. It contains a photo, some biometric data, some pages for visa stamps. Does anybody really care what colour the cover is? Get real.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

martikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant future

pthom - Im tortured now ......... I dont want to make a HUGE MISTAKE especially having the kids ..... I have been back to the UK every year for a month for 10 years and always cry when I have to come back to Canada. I feel alive in the UK when I visit. When I get back here I find myself sitting in my garage smoking my head off and dreaming of walking down the seafront and high street. Its so dull and depressing here. Im not sure whether moving out of Province would help ?! I am at such a crossroads in my life here and Im 40. I dont want to make a HUGE mistake but dont want to spend the rest of my days miserable and depressed.
If someone can help work this one out for me I will think your AMAZING !!!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martikaxx
pthom - Im tortured now ......... I dont want to make a HUGE MISTAKE especially having the kids ..... I have been back to the UK every year for a month for 10 years and always cry when I have to come back to Canada. I feel alive in the UK when I visit. When I get back here I find myself sitting in my garage smoking my head off and dreaming of walking down the seafront and high street. Its so dull and depressing here. Im not sure whether moving out of Province would help ?! I am at such a crossroads in my life here and Im 40. I dont want to make a HUGE mistake but dont want to spend the rest of my days miserable and depressed.
You had better move SOMEWHERE if its been like that for ten years!

Canada is huge and diverse. I think in terms of lifestyle its probably possible to find somewhere that suits most people, but what you cant easily replace is a lifetime of friends and family and familiarity. Some people can deal with that, others cant.

Personally I love living in small town Canada, and I'm close enough to Toronto or Ottawa to get a dose of that now and then as required. But that's me, others would hate it for the same reasons I like it I suspect.

What's important in deciding to immigrate is to know what is important to you, and to home in on that. Ultimatley I think it has to be something positive, rather than a list of negatives about where you are leaving. Once you leave you wont have those factors in your face everyday to remind you why you are putting yourself through this, you need positives that you will see and remember during the inevitable tougher times when you miss the people and sights you left behind.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need to visit Vancouver or Victoria even for just a weekend.

I'm very serious. It's an hour and 20 minute flight away from you.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Sephora in Canada doesn't sell Chanel or Shisheido. Can you cope with that? Do you know why it closed in the UK? There used to be one in Milton Keynes and I seem to remember that at the time it was because of lack of customers. I know I was disappointed with the place and the Eaton Centre one just seemed the same to me.

BTW which part of Ontario would you be looking to move to? If shopping is important to you then this would be a factor.

What's your husband's line of work?

Hi there,

I would love it if there was a Sephora in the UK. I didnt know there used to be on in Milton Keynes and have no idea why it closed.

If we were moving to Ontario it would be to Hamilton as that is where SIL and her family live.

My husband is a time served fabricator/welder. Within his line of work, he has done pipe fitting and worked on quarries. He was self employed for a time, and during that time did work for Hanson and Norbord. The Manager at the Hanson quarry where he worked will give him a very good reference, as he basically ran one of their quarries for the best part of a year and turned it right round. The Norbord wont matter because I think its only their headquarters that are in Toronto, and they dont have an actual factory there.

Jackie
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

martikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant future

That might be a cheaper option .... Lychee, Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:54 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

Martijaxx:
Lychee's suggestion sounds great. Maybe if you can take a few trips to other parts of Canada it might help you to settle better, even in another city. Do you go into Calgary much? If you're not tied to Red Deer because of work you might find Calgary has more to offer.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

No... I hate Alberta for the winters It would have to be Vancouver Island or suchlike, but Im almost trying to convince myself even that wont make me happy ... its more than the weather I feel
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:57 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

No... I hate Alberta for the winters It would have to be Vancouver Island or suchlike, but Im almost trying to convince myself even that wont make me happy ... its more than the weather I feel
You would like Victoria, very english feeling, same flowers, similar climate to south east england, very Victorian, seaside feel to the place, english style pubs and the like not to mention absolutely beautiful. Complete opposite of Red Deer. But as you say, it may be that you just feel you belong in Blighty. Home is where the heart is and all that. I too am now at the big 40 and find myself getting more sentimental about family as my parents age and my brother's wife keeps popping out kids at an alarming rate - certainly makes you question what is important of in life, especially as my ex couldn't have children. I feel a bit left out at times.

Try an extended stay in the UK for a few months. See it as an experiment of sorts then see how you feel. Good thing is that you can always go back to red deer - perish the thought. Pic of Victoria:

.Why do you want to move to Canada-8631803-md.jpg

Last edited by dboy; Nov 2nd 2009 at 10:01 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=MartianTom;8064053]
I guess you know how long winter lasts in Ontario! Not trying to put you off or anything! I have a friend out there who told me they got the last snows of last winter in June... and the first snows of this winter in early October!
QUOTE]

I must ask....where does your friend live?

I'm a Canadian, currently living in southern Ontario (Toronto area) and we have not seen snow yet this season.....thank God!!! It also didn't snow here in June either. I believe for this area, last snow would have been in April - TOO LATE in my opinion....I don't want to see that stuff after March and not before end of November/December.

Weather is one of the biggest issues on why this Canuck is going to pack up and move Down Under (hopefully before the real snow and cold hits)

Anyway, been following this thread with some interest to see what brings people to Canada.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hi there,

I would love it if there was a Sephora in the UK. I didnt know there used to be on in Milton Keynes and have no idea why it closed.

If we were moving to Ontario it would be to Hamilton as that is where SIL and her family live.

My husband is a time served fabricator/welder. Within his line of work, he has done pipe fitting and worked on quarries. He was self employed for a time, and during that time did work for Hanson and Norbord. The Manager at the Hanson quarry where he worked will give him a very good reference, as he basically ran one of their quarries for the best part of a year and turned it right round. The Norbord wont matter because I think its only their headquarters that are in Toronto, and they dont have an actual factory there.

Jackie
Have you looked into what's involved in getting work in that trade? Does he need certification here and how will he have to go about getting it. He may not want to have to sit exams and study again. Is there work for him around Hamilton?? Once you have all this info then you can make a more informed decision.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:46 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
The whole of England ? Wow, you HAVE travelled
Was a joke

wow... whoosh
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=paularn;8065678]
Originally Posted by MartianTom
I guess you know how long winter lasts in Ontario! Not trying to put you off or anything! I have a friend out there who told me they got the last snows of last winter in June... and the first snows of this winter in early October!
QUOTE]

I must ask....where does your friend live?

I'm a Canadian, currently living in southern Ontario (Toronto area) and we have not seen snow yet this season.....thank God!!! It also didn't snow here in June either. I believe for this area, last snow would have been in April - TOO LATE in my opinion....I don't want to see that stuff after March and not before end of November/December.

Weather is one of the biggest issues on why this Canuck is going to pack up and move Down Under (hopefully before the real snow and cold hits)

Anyway, been following this thread with some interest to see what brings people to Canada.
Sorry - wrong person! The friend I meant lives near Regina, SK.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:50 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Was a joke

wow... whoosh
Sorry but there was no indication that it was a joke. Perhaps a roll of eyes etc would have helped.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:49 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Sorry but there was no indication that it was a joke. Perhaps a roll of eyes etc would have helped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.