Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:46 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You obviously don't read the vast majority of the posts on here as to why people move then. I would say the number one reason is the ability to be able to afford a big house.
unless one is moving to vancouver and you may actually end up with a smaller one.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
unless one is moving to vancouver and you may actually end up with a smaller one.
but what about the house?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:58 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:00 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
very good I walked right into that one......
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy
very good I walked right into that one......
Blimey... it must be big, then
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

MarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Cos England's _ _ _ t

Do it do it... adventure!
This is the reason why I want to move - the adventure
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
This is the reason why I want to move - the adventure
Do it for the adventure - not because you think England's s**t (if that's what you do think). I've seen too many examples of people who've gone because they're fed up with this country - only to find that things aren't so rosy somewhere else after all.

Better to think that you're moving towards something rather than away from something.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
many examples of people who've gone because they're fed up with this country - only to find that things aren't so rosy somewhere else after all.
Maybe it was not the country after all!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Maybe it was not the country after all!
Aye.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:07 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously don't read the vast majority of the posts on here as to why people move then. I would say the number one reason is the ability to be able to afford a big house.
Not anyone I have met has moved for that reason. Out of the what 430,000 or so people or so who come to live and work in Canada (2007 figures), how many are active on this site? It seems most on here want to leave Britain as they seem to think it has gone to the dogs. Then there are those that want to leave Canada when they think Canada was unkind to them and Britain was not such as hole after all.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 2nd 2009 at 12:12 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Not anyone I have met has moved for that reason. Out of the what 430,000 or so people or so who come to live and work in Canada (2007 figures), how many are active on this site? It seems most on here want to leave Britain as they seem to think it has gone to the dogs. Then there are those that want to leave Canada when they think Canada was unkind to them and Britain was not such as hole after all.
I don't dispute that at all and we have actually ended up with a smaller house over here but...try telling the plumber from London that the reason for moving to Canada is for a better quality of life. The reality is that most Brits want a bigger house. They may deny it but that is the overwhelming reason why they come over and why, for example, destinations such as New Brunswick are so popular. If it was really about the "standard of living" bullshit that they talk about, they would have moved to Devon or Cornwall, but they couldn't afford a mansion with 110 acres down there.

The reason why I run when I hear a British accent over here is that I am sick of hearing about how big their houses are, how new their vehicle is, etc, before they have told me what their name is or they have asked where can they bu Walkers crisps.

Sorry, but nothing can convince me of otherwise. We came for the skiing, the proximty to the US and the "more chilled out lifestyle". Reality is, the lifestyle is no more chilled over here than it is in the UK. Yes, on the face of it, life may be a little more chilled out at work, the skiing is great, and the US is right on our doorstep, but the mediocrity that is life in Canada is not the be all and end all. The craziness that is the H1N1 virus in Calgary is evidence of that. I am sure that in the UK, no-one gives a shit about it. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Nov 2nd 2009 at 12:42 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:36 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Other things I think about are the education system. We live in Scotland, so the way things stand just now my kids wont need to pay for their further education, whereas in Canada, we would need to pay for their education if they decide to go to college or university. My SIL has also said the education system isnt as good in Canada! I cant comment on this personally because I dont know.
Never ever ever use your hard earned savings to pay for your kids education. That's what student loans are for, and kids need to learn the VALUE of education. It amazes me how many people think this is a good idea. It's not.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:17 am

The reason why I run when I hear a British accent over here is that I am sick of hearing about how big their houses are, how new their vehicle is, etc, before they have told me what their name is or they have asked where can they bu Walkers crisps.
In 15 years I have never heard any of that from British immigrants. I have heard a few say how bad Canada has been to them, those were the ones that thought the world owed them a living. The Brits I have encountered here have been quite modest.

The only obnoxious, foul mouthed, bigoted, Brits I came across were tourists on a fishing holiday.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't dispute that at all and we have actually ended up with a smaller house over here but...try telling the plumber from London that the reason for moving to Canada is for a better quality of life. The reality is that most Brits want a bigger house. They may deny it but that is the overwhelming reason why they come over and why, for example, destinations such as New Brunswick are so popular. If it was really about the "standard of living" bullshit that they talk about, they would have moved to Devon or Cornwall, but they couldn't afford a mansion with 110 acres down there.

Sorry, but nothing can convince me of otherwise. We came for the skiing, the proximty to the US and the "more chilled out lifestyle". Reality is, the lifestyle is no more chilled over here than it is in the UK. Yes, on the face of it, life may be a little more chilled out at work, the skiing is great, and the US is right on our doorstep, but the mediocrity that is life in Canada is not the be all and end all. The craziness that is the H1N1 virus in Calgary is evidence of that. I am sure that in the UK, no-one gives a shit about it. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
I guess I must be the only Brit whose intention in emigrating to Canada was to 'downsize'. I intended looking for a small apartment to rent so I could live as cheaply as possible - ergo, hopefully I wouldn't have to work so many hours to maintain my lifestyle, and I'd have more time to enjoy Canada.

I'll continue to enjoy it now as a tourist instead.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point

I never realised that there would be so many replies to this thread.

Ive had a little think about Canada and so far the positives (and to be honest are not serious enough to say im going there to stay) ive come up with are:-

America is easier to get to (never thought of that until someone here mentioned it).
Its definetly like Christmas in the winter (we would be going to Ontario)
I have Sephora and Mac stores at the Eton Centre in Toronto lol

Sorry just thought I would lighten up the "chat" a little bit.

Jackie xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.