Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005
People do tend to extrapolate their own personal experience as some kind of universal truth that will apply to all. Everybody does this to a certain extent.
The trick is it to know when you're doing it, and use a few fancy words and some convoluted research theory to back it up.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The trick is it to know when you're doing it, and use a few fancy words and some convoluted research theory to back it up.
Statistics are always good, as they look like you know what you're talking about with out actually meaning anything!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My. my, we are xenophobic?

It cuts both ways though and, other than the immigration one, I doubt many UK voters care about any of those and there are, of course, reciprocal rights that British citizens have in relation to other EU states.

I do like the British passport one though who'd ave thunk it
I always find it strange how much people in the UK hate being part of the EU. For me, being in the EU is in my top 3 favourite thing about the UK. When I think of all the things I miss from the UK, most of it stems from being part of the EU. I sometimes wonder if we should be kicked out of it and people will realise what they've lost and how much of a speck we would become on the world stage as well. I also find it ironic that immigrants from the UK have a problem with the immigration laws in the UK.

I thought I'd also add to what everyone else has said on here. Life in the UK really isn't that bad. It sounds like you're very happy and if I was you I wouldn't be leaving. As most people seem to say, if you have a positive outlook on life you will be happy almost anywhere. I think a lot of the unhappiness of people in the UK can stem from the media. Things like a good education and safe cities/neighbourhoods you can find in the UK and there is nothing wrong with growing up there. You won't find things like gun crime at home. If, however, you're main and only aim in life is to have a big house with a pool, etc the yes, Canada might be the way forward. I'm from Cardiff and I think it's amazing. Friendly people, incredibly safe for a city, a tonne of energy and not outrageously expensive. The UK is so diverse that just moving town or area could be like moving country. You will miss a lot of things that you took for granted if you move away, especially friends and family. That seems to be the hardest part for most people including myself.

The UK is going through some bad political and economic times but they will pass eventually. The media will always tell you that everything is going to shit but when you take a moment to look at it objectively, it's a pretty good place to be. All we need is a decent PM

I guess if none of this advice helps at all then above all make sure you have no regrets
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonfiction
I always find it strange how much people in the UK hate being part of the EU. For me, being in the EU is in my top 3 favourite thing about the UK. When I think of all the things I miss from the UK, most of it stems from being part of the EU. I sometimes wonder if we should be kicked out of it and people will realise what they've lost and how much of a speck we would become on the world stage as well. I also find it ironic that immigrants from the UK have a problem with the immigration laws in the UK.

I thought I'd also add to what everyone else has said on here. Life in the UK really isn't that bad. It sounds like you're very happy and if I was you I wouldn't be leaving. As most people seem to say, if you have a positive outlook on life you will be happy almost anywhere. I think a lot of the unhappiness of people in the UK can stem from the media. Things like a good education and safe cities/neighbourhoods you can find in the UK and there is nothing wrong with growing up there. You won't find things like gun crime at home. If, however, you're main and only aim in life is to have a big house with a pool, etc the yes, Canada might be the way forward. I'm from Cardiff and I think it's amazing. Friendly people, incredibly safe for a city, a tonne of energy and not outrageously expensive. The UK is so diverse that just moving town or area could be like moving country. You will miss a lot of things that you took for granted if you move away, especially friends and family. That seems to be the hardest part for most people including myself.

The UK is going through some bad political and economic times but they will pass eventually. The media will always tell you that everything is going to shit but when you take a moment to look at it objectively, it's a pretty good place to be. All we need is a decent PM

I guess if none of this advice helps at all then above all make sure you have no regrets
Very well said, sir (though I believe GB's a fundamentally decent bloke who's simply out of his depth... don't think Cameron's the one, somehow)
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you're very happy and if I was you I wouldn't be leaving.
Buy you are not. Just because one is happy in one place, does not mean they should not try something different. We were quite happy where we were in the UK and are equally satisfied where we are in Canada. Depends entirely on your motivation to move.

Things like a good education and safe cities/neighbourhoods you can find in the UK and there is nothing wrong with growing up there. You won't find things like gun crime at home. If, however, you're main and only aim in life is to have a big house with a pool, etc the yes, Canada might be the way forward.
Of course there is gun crime in the UK. There is also a lot of knife attacks. Physical violence occurs everywhere. Don't know of anybody who immigrated to Canada to get a bigger home or a swimming pool. I know lots of people who immigrated for a change though.

You will miss a lot of things that you took for granted if you move away, especially friends and family. That seems to be the hardest part for most people including myself.
You are assuming everyone responds the same as you, which they likley don't. Since we moved to Canada I see more of friends and family than we did in the UK. We were so spread out there and it was such an effort to travel half way across the country we usually didn't. Now they visit for a few weeks at the time and we have some great times together, rather than an odd day here and there.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Buy you are not. Just because one is happy in one place, does not mean they should not try something different. We were quite happy where we were in the UK and are equally satisfied where we are in Canada. Depends entirely on your motivation to move.
I completely agree. It's just Jackie seems quite unsure and my opinion is that when you have a family, friends and are already happy, moving country should be done with some strong sense of need or desire or you are really going to struggle through the hard times that most people encounter.

Of course there is gun crime in the UK. There is also a lot of knife attacks. Physical violence occurs everywhere.
There is gun crime, but not much. I think these stats are pretty good and if you take away London it's very good - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

I keep being told that crime is *so* bad in the UK but I still feel safe at night in my city and don't know any victims of these crimes. I don't claim to know what talking about but I can only assume that we are blanketing the whole of the UK the same as a some select areas.

Don't know of anybody who immigrated to Canada to get a bigger home or a swimming pool. I know lots of people who immigrated for a change though.
I agree. That's basically why I'm not in the UK I'm all about the variety.

You are assuming everyone responds the same as you, which they likley don't. Since we moved to Canada I see more of friends and family than we did in the UK. We were so spread out there and it was such an effort to travel half way across the country we usually didn't. Now they visit for a few weeks at the time and we have some great times together, rather than an odd day here and there.
I didn't mean to come across as the one true answer to her question. Everyone's situation is different but I think for most people, being in a different continent will mean seeing less of their friends and family. Especially if you move as far as the west coast. The cost of flights will most likely only get higher as well and what I have found most frustrating is getting only 2 weeks holiday from work doesn't give you much time to visit anyone or spend time with visitors.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had so many replies from you all and I am truely grateful.

I am VERY unsure about moving to Canada, but I will give it alot of thought. AS my husband really wants to go there to stay I think I owe it to him at least to think about it, so thats what I will do.

Jackie xx
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Cardiff and I think it's amazing. Friendly people, incredibly safe
You have obviously not been to a football match at Cardiff as an away supporter ...
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You have obviously not been to a football match at Cardiff as an away supporter ...
I was thinking the same thing.

When Spurs ever play Cardiff in the Cup, the local scallies all come out of the woodwork so you end up having to take large group down just to discourage them from having ideas above their station.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Lol. Good point.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 8:24 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course there is gun crime in the UK. There is also a lot of knife attacks. Physical violence occurs everywhere. Don't know of anybody who immigrated to Canada to get a bigger home or a swimming pool. I know lots of people who immigrated for a change though.

I was chatting with my mother the other day, and she told me that she speaks with me more often than my brother who lives a few miles away. He is so busy with two young ones. She usually sees him for 5 mins when he drops off the kids.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackie_w
I have had so many replies from you all and I am truely grateful.

I am VERY unsure about moving to Canada, but I will give it alot of thought. AS my husband really wants to go there to stay I think I owe it to him at least to think about it, so thats what I will do.

Jackie xx
Good. And as you're unsure, he also owes it to you to think about it. It's a two-way thing. You both have to be happy about it, on balance - not 100%, because that's not possible with something so big. But on balance.

Whatever you do, good luck.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
I wanted to move to Canada because I love the country (I've travelled all over it and holidayed out there many times), I love the people, I love the proximity of the US, I love the way of life...

I could go on. The truth is, though - having thoroughly researched the issue over the last 2 years - that I've decided these reasons are, for me anyway, not enough. So, I'm staying put. I've decided there are other priorities in my life, other things I want to do. At the time, it seemed like a good idea. Now... it's just the wrong thing. I can know that without even needing to try it.

I wish you luck with your own decision.
Good for you Martian Tom! its tough to make that decision either way...once you have researched, thought and analysed it enough....it simply comes down to should I stay or should I go? and as I said either decision is tough.

I wanted to move to Canada for very much the same reasons you have stated above, they were my main reasons (of course including the economic and politcial state of the UK) , another reason was me being a single guy, no kids, both parents passed away sometime ago, I felt nothing was keeping me there, as all my friends and family around me were settling into family life, obviously I didnt feel part of this, so thought why not turn that to my advantage....go and do it, make that move, I had no one else to consider except for myself, and very much felt I may regret it if not.

Ive been here 5 months now, and things have not gone to plan at all, I wont bore you with the details, its not important, but the main issue is not being able to obtain employment, except for a bar tending job, which I dont feel is going well, but what has occurred to me more, is me desparately missing the family I have remaining and my close friends, who I have built life lasting friendships with. Im not missing the UK as such, except for maybe a decent pint! but friends and family....I knew I would miss them, but wow.... never thought I would miss them like this, its an acute feeling of emptiness I have inside somedays.

I can also relate to what you have said Martian Tom...your staying put because you have other priorities in your life, other things that you want to do. I have similar thoughts to this now, I think if things were going to plan here, I would be a lot less inclined to have these thoughts, but I am barely existing here at the moment, due to the lack of proper employment.

Someone else commented that age is a big factor combined with your chosen aspirations and intentions in life when you make your move, even though times are hard, I didnt think i would still be out of work and without even a pin prick of light or hope at the end of the tunnel, 5 monts down the line, it certainly hasnt been through lack of trying, so at the moment life has stagnated. This last 5 months have felt like years, and all the time..... time is ticking away...

To summarise, I have begun to realise that family and close friends, are far more important to me than anything material, and to some extent my lifestyle (within reason - I dont want to live as a pauper) and an opportunity to visit many beautiful places and meet many interesting people, I still have this yearning inside of me to explore this fantastic country, but sometimes feel perhaps I may have made the move a little too late in my life (I am 39) particualry when I combine that with other things I want to achieve before I get too old, like a family for example.

I dont know what it is, but I am refusing to give up, 5 months isnt a long time I know, but that all depends on the individual's situation. I suppose one of the things still making me determined to make it work is that, I lived in a real nice area in the UK, I loved my house, even tho it was only small, but one of the final issues that made my mind up to move was that I couldnt actually afford to live in that house, and I already had a decent job, if I couldnt even afford the simple pleasures of living in a small house in my chosen area, then was there a future there for me? Its a double edged sword I feel when I look at it like that.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Nov 1st 2009 at 9:01 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know of anybody who immigrated to Canada to get a bigger home ...
You obviously don't read the vast majority of the posts on here as to why people move then. I would say the number one reason is the ability to be able to afford a big house.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You obviously don't read the vast majority of the posts on here as to why people move then. I would say the number one reason is the ability to be able to afford a big house.
Followed by denying it once they get here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.