Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Oink
My uncle moved to Canada in the early seventies, had to take a lower skilled and paid job. The schools his children went to were not very good to say the least. One cousin eventually went to a community college but left to have a baby, her truck driver boyfriend when he's at home beats her constantly but she can't leave him because she has no money, the other cousin worked in construction until he lost an arm in an work accident, got hooked on pain killers and is now homeless. The uncle died of stress related heart attack.

My other uncle stayed the UK, had a decent job took his family to lots of European holidays. The children prospered because they had the comfort and stability of their family and familiar culture. Both cousins went to university, one to Oxford the other to the LSE and now have lovely homes in the country, great jobs and lovely families. Unless there's a war, stay in your own country.
"A rolling stone gathers no moss"

It is more difficult than is generally acknowledged to plant strong enough roots in Canada. The reasons are mainly economic, but also, in my opinion, second and third generation Canadians are not as open socially as their ancestors were. However, new immigrant families can attain all the trappings of a 'rooted' Canadian fairly quickly with much less capital than would be needed in most other developed places. But capital you must have.

It is the younger family members that really make most of the sacrifices as new immigrant parents establish and immerse into Canadian society. There are fewer holidays here to share with the family, and going 'away' for the day together takes a lot of advanced planning because of the distances etc.

Younger immigrants learn quickly to wipe their collective memory out, or face a drawn out process in merging with Canadians. This process alone means avoiding parental influence and thus being more vulnerable to other influences, not all of them being of the savoury sort....especially now, since the underground drug scene is much larger than acknowledged until very recently. Loneliness is the greatest disease in Canada.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:33 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My uncle moved to Canada in the early seventies, had to take a lower skilled and paid job. The schools his children went to were not very good to say the least. One cousin eventually went to a community college but left to have a baby, her truck driver boyfriend when he's at home beats her constantly but she can't leave him because she has no money, the other cousin worked in construction until he lost an arm in an work accident, got hooked on pain killers and is now homeless. The uncle died of stress related heart attack.

My other uncle stayed the UK, had a decent job took his family to lots of European holidays. The children prospered because they had the comfort and stability of their family and familiar culture. Both cousins went to university, one to Oxford the other to the LSE and now have lovely homes in the country, great jobs and lovely families. Unless there's a war, stay in your own country.
I was making toast this morning and one slice popped out with such amazing force that it almost took my eye out. Be careful out there...
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:57 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
"A rolling stone gathers no moss"

It is more difficult than is generally acknowledged to plant strong enough roots in Canada. The reasons are mainly economic, but also, in my opinion, second and third generation Canadians are not as open socially as their ancestors were. However, new immigrant families can attain all the trappings of a 'rooted' Canadian fairly quickly with much less capital than would be needed in most other developed places. But capital you must have.

It is the younger family members that really make most of the sacrifices as new immigrant parents establish and immerse into Canadian society. There are fewer holidays here to share with the family, and going 'away' for the day together takes a lot of advanced planning because of the distances etc.

Younger immigrants learn quickly to wipe their collective memory out, or face a drawn out process in merging with Canadians. This process alone means avoiding parental influence and thus being more vulnerable to other influences, not all of them being of the savoury sort....especially now, since the underground drug scene is much larger than acknowledged until very recently. Loneliness is the greatest disease in Canada.
You're having a laugh aren't you. I swear to God no where is perfect but really...... Moving and changing jobs are leading causes of depression where ever that may be.

If I'm reading this correct you are suggesting that younger immigrants face a life of loneliness and drug addiction? Not to mention having to alter their collective psyche to assimilate to Canada.

Resistance is futile

Give me a break!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:00 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
You're having a laugh aren't you. I swear to God no where is perfect but really...... Moving and changing jobs are leading causes of depression where ever that may be.

If I'm reading this correct you are suggesting that younger immigrants face a life of loneliness and drug addiction? Not to mention having to alter their collective psyche to assimilate to Canada.

Resistance is futile

Give me a break!
It must be true, I was beginning to feel depressed just thinking about it
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I'd suggest the OP peruses the MBTTUK forum in general and does some searches on "Canada" in that forum as well - this will give you a feel for the potential downsides.
That'd be enough to put anybody off going anywhere!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator
That'd be enough to put anybody off going anywhere!
I go on there sometimes for a laugh.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Most people in the UK do not vote in National Elections. The EU, as I am sure you are aware, is made up of sovereign states that have agreed to "hand over" certain powers to the "federal" authority. The sovereign states retain exclusive control over all other areas.

If the electorate of the UK didn't like it, they could vote for parties that state they wish to withdraw the UK from the EU. People do not vote in sufficient numbers for this to happen, therefore, one must assume that the electorate of the UK is happy with the status quo.

You may not like it, but the majority of the electorate in the UK that are sufficiently concerned about it to vote evidently don't.

In any event, practically, it makes no difference whether the laws are enacted in the UK, in the EU or elsewhere in the world (if they applied to the UK). No matter what the policiticians do, some will agree, some won't, most won't care but will moan incessantly about it.

When people actually take the time to look at the laws being enacted, most intelligent people will opine that the "best" laws come from the EU anyway. Without the EU, employees in the UK would have nothing like the protection they do. In my experience, most of the objections to laws enacted by the EU come from misinformed readers of articles written by lazy or biased reporters of tabloids in the UK who have nothing better to do than spout crap about "bananas that are not straight enough" etc.

It is not much different in Canada. The Feds whine about the Provinces, the Provinces whine about the Feds, the municipalities whine about the Provinces, all pushing their own objectives, but, a great deal of the time, missing the bigger picture. For the purposes of this paragraph, I am talking about the politicians.
Not that simple. People don't vote for who they want in power, they vote against who they don't want in power. If one party was truly better than the rest then there wouldn't be any other parties. A great many people realise that politicians are in it for their own gain and they don't bother to vote for any of them.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Classy.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by NotTooShabby
People don't vote for who they want in power, they vote against who they don't want in power.
Speak for yourself, not all do.

If one party was truly better than the rest then there wouldn't be any other parties.
What's best for one group may not be considered best for another. Different parties look out for what they think is best for their demographic group.

A great many people realise that politicians are in it for their own gain and they don't bother to vote for any of them
Some maybe, again not all. Then some people cannot be bothered to vote then moan about the policies of the party that got in. Even if they don't think their vote would make much difference. Those that do nothing should not moan about the outcome.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:05 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

For every sad story like the example from Oink, there are equally positive experiences or the stories are the same but the countries reversed.

My experience is that you have to throw yourself into 'being an immigrant' and really open your mind to the new experience, you will succeed.

Don't harp on about how the UK has better roads, theatres, restuarants, ..... I hear UK immigrants doing that all the time. I dont think the Canadians have a whinging Pom term, but it amounts to the same thing. If life was so much better for you in the UK go back.

For me it has been a very positive experience (beyond the possessions) I have a job that I would probably not be able to get in the UK. The reason I couldnt get this sort of job in the UK is the obesssion with people going to the 'right university' or living in the 'right area' or having the 'right accent'.

My experience has been if you are good at what you do and have any sort of british accent they assume you REALLY know what you are doing.

My teenage daughters found it hard to settle, but they are now. The eldest dropped out of university here and she probably would have done in the UK. But she has just brought herself a mini home on a deli-counter salary (that would be very unlikely to happen in the UK). She has now applied to study as a nurse and is determined to see it through. She is more mature now so probably will.

The youngest is in University and she has a different personality and will probably see it through. She has amibitions and can see a path to realising them.

Jules has had a hard time, and sometimes feels isolated, but she is starting her own business doing something she wants to do (which we could not have afforded to do in the UK). The family has moved, survived and is starting to prospered on one salary. It is coming up to our fourth canniversary and I think it will take 5 years to fully settle down. (Much like it did when in the UK we moved south from our home town).

Every move is personal and the outcome of it depends on your personal outlook and committment. Moving away from home is never easy, and moving abroad makes it harder than away from home in the UK. You will experience the "emigration wobble" every few months, wondering if you did the right thing etc... my advice is stick it out because you probably came for the right reasons. If you need a better job then resume education and gain some qualifications that will get you the job. Volunteer using the skill you wish to develop and if you do a good job it will get around in the community, etc... you get the picture. You really do have the ability to influence the future for yourselves just realise that the challenges are barriers raised to stop those with a weaker will from climbing over to the other side.

Good luck with your decision. If you apply for the visa then I suggest that while you are waiting to come over you don't just sit there and wait, use the time to prepare. For example study for certifications in whatever the job market is looking for(check the internet job sites for the target area); learn French in a big way (bilingualism is a big bonus especially here in NB and essential for federal jobs), Boost your job prospects in whatever field you are in because an employed immigrant is a happy one.

Good luck

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Nov 1st 2009 at 11:07 am.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

and a new pair of 'made in the UK' rose tinted spectacles....
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Lisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hi dboy,

these things dont bother me, but for some reason, my husband seems to think that this will be part of the bigger picture that will "give us a better life"

The thing thats most bothering me is with everyone saying "think of your kids, they will have a much better life over there", but I dont know if they will, maybe they will, maybe they wont, I just dont want anyone thinking im selfish and not doing the best for my children.

Jackie
Hi Jackie,

Your kids are growing up with parents who would consider moving abroad if that's in their best interests! That's about as good as it gets!! If moving abroad is something that you think would benefit you/them, then yes - great - but if you're already living a good life, then don't let anyone tell you that moving abroad will offer your kids anything of more value than they have already - namely the backing of parents who consider their childrens' wellbeing before their own!

That could probably be put better, and I'm not going to be led on the whole argument for economic plusses / minuses... I just think THAT's the question you're actually asking, and the rest is all bye the bye (or is it by the by???!!).

Lisa.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Nice.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Classy.
thanks - but there are some who go on there who have a serious lack of objectivity and can't take anything that amounts to constructive criticism and whose responses are, ...... well entertaining to say the least.

But I don't come anywhere your ability to wind people up

Last edited by dboy; Nov 1st 2009 at 3:44 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - but there are some who go on there who have a serious lack of objectivity and can't take anything that amounts to constructive criticism and whose responses are, ...... well entertaining to say the least.

But I don't come anywhere your ability to wind people up
Touche And you are right of course it is entertaining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.