Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:11 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by MartianTom
Perhaps they should take a crash course in HTML!
The pedantic in me wishes to point out that it's actually BBCode.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:13 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
It is if you live there.
Yes if. But how many do? If life was all tea and cucumber sarnies I doubt people would be looking for something better over seas.

Certainly not my memory of the place I'm afraid. Life was more like that Uncle of yours.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:14 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Yes if. But how many do? If life was all tea and cucumber sarnies I doubt people would be looking for something better over seas.

Certainly not my memory of the place I'm afraid. Life was more like that Uncle of yours.
People come here with similar aspirations though.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The pedantic in me wishes to point out that it's actually BBCode.
I stand corrected! It looks similar...
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:19 am

People come here with similar aspirations though.
Yes, but the tea is not the same and there's too much mayo on the sarnies!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:21 am

Yes, but the tea is not the same and there's too much mayo on the sarnies!
Careful, Novo's reading this. You'll send him on a tim hortons mayonnaise rampage.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

My Aunt used to make the best prawn sarnies. She'd put on that pink sauce you'd get in a pub prawn cocktail.

If you're single, no children etc, sure why not go off for a new experience. And if certain circumstances happen I can certainly see why people might want to stay. Each to their own but you constantly hear 'I want a better future for my kids' which is fine but why move half way around the world to do it? Unless you are looking through the philosophical prism of the Daily Mail, the UK has many different aspects to it, many different career choices and many diverse areas in which to reside, without the emotional and financial upheaval of emigration.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:04 am

My Aunt used to make the best prawn sarnies. She'd put on that pink sauce you'd get in a pub prawn cocktail.

If you're single, no children etc, sure why not go off for a new experience. And if certain circumstances happen I can certainly see why people might want to stay. Each to their own but you constantly hear 'I want a better future for my kids' which is fine but why move half way around the world to do it? Unless you are looking through the philosophical prism of the Daily Mail, the UK has many different aspects to it, many different career choices and many diverse areas in which to reside, without the emotional and financial upheaval of emigration.
Yes quite. I said something similar to my brother - far less eloquently than you of course.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:14 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes it gets screwed up if you bold/italic things dodgily - tho I wish people would go back and put the [] in the right places. I've no idea who's quoting who in half of this thread. It's as if fledermaus and dboy have merged into some weird hybrid opinion machine.
I'm traumatised by the thought.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:14 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w
but for some reason, my husband seems to think that this will be part of the bigger picture that will "give us a better life"
How does he define 'a better life'? This is your definition not anyone elses.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator
How does he define 'a better life'? This is your definition not anyone elses.
People do tend to extrapolate their own personal experience as some kind of universal truth that will apply to all. Everybody does this to a certain extent.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I'm traumatised by the thought.
i was rather excited!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

My uncle moved to Canada in the early seventies, had to take a lower skilled and paid job. The schools his children went to were not very good to say the least. One cousin eventually went to a community college but left to have a baby, her truck driver boyfriend when he's at home beats her constantly but she can't leave him because she has no money, the other cousin worked in construction until he lost an arm in an work accident, got hooked on pain killers and is now homeless. The uncle died of stress related heart attack.

My other uncle stayed the UK, had a decent job took his family to lots of European holidays. The children prospered because they had the comfort and stability of their family and familiar culture. Both cousins went to university, one to Oxford the other to the LSE and now have lovely homes in the country, great jobs and lovely families. Unless there's a war, stay in your own country.
Now I get why you were discouraging me from moving with teenagers. And what happened to your family is awful but those things can happen anywhere. My uncle was also a construction work and lost his arm in a work accident in the UK.

He didn't become homeless - but like your uncle, he took painkillers for the rest of his life, because of the pain from the nerve damage. And he died this year, at only 57. I have no doubt that the painkillers contributed to his death - some of the side effects of these drugs are terrible. But what do you do when you really need them?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:16 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest the OP peruses the MBTTUK forum in general and does some searches on "Canada" in that forum as well - this will give you a feel for the potential downsides.

I'd also suggest that those who leave for strongly negative generic reasons (UK is crap, gone to the dogs, blah blah) are frequently delusional and their opinion should be avoided - head to Canada for positive reasons about expanding life experiences and not the supposed negatives of EU bureaucrats or immigrants etc as these sorts of issues arise in all developed countries.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hello there,

Ive already posted on this board under the "immigration" thread as my husband is thinking of moving to Canada, but im unsure.

Ive never been one that wants to live abroad, I dont know why, its just something Ive never thought of.

We were in Canada on holiday in the summer, and to be honest, when we came back home I really did miss Canada, and thought about it alot. My SIL (husbands sister) and her family live there, and we were very close to them before they moved to Canada last year and I do miss them very much.

My mum says theres nothing here (in GB) and we would be mad not to go, and my FIL and MIL say I should be thinking of our 2 kids because they will have a much better life in Canada than here. Why they think that I dont know because they have only been to Canada for 2 weeks before and that was with us, in the summer. They mean well and are only wanting the best for their grandchildren, but is moving to Canada the best thing for them?
Im now left feeling that if I dont go to Canada, people will be thinking that Im not doing whats best for my children, and that makes me very sad.

Is moving to Canada the best thing for us all?

Why did you want to move to Canada, and can I just ask how long does it roughly take for everything to go ahead? For my Sil it took approx 3 years.

Jackie

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
If it was me, I'd buy a cheaper house near the SIL and use her pool .

Only you can make the decision on emigrating though. And I guess you have to really think about what you do value in life most and what you want and decide whether you can get that in Canada, or Scotland.

It sounds like the house thing isn't important to you. But you need to ask yourself what is, before you make the decision. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.