Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Is there something wrong with the quote function?
No... it seems to be working...
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
No... it seems to be working...
Yes, doesn't it? What is this thread about by the way?
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't think so.
Sometimes it gets screwed up if you bold/italic things dodgily - tho I wish people would go back and put the [] in the right places. I've no idea who's quoting who in half of this thread. It's as if fledermaus and dboy have merged into some weird hybrid opinion machine.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Yes, doesn't it? What is this thread about by the way?
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:57 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had trouble which is why one of my previous ones was in bold.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:58 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Sometimes it gets screwed up if you bold/italic things dodgily - tho I wish people would go back and put the [] in the right places. I've no idea who's quoting who in half of this thread. It's as if fledermaus and dboy have merged into some weird hybrid opinion machine.
A disturbing thought. I'm afraid I haven't read the thread though. Should I?
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Perhaps they should take a crash course in HTML!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You've probably read it before. Many times I should think.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think you'd have some interesting insights to share.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:00 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

My SIL has been there for just over a year and loves it, says if she won the lottery she wouldnt come back to UK to stay.

I dont know why im reluctant, its my nature to worry anyway, so its probably just me. Ive told my husband I would like him to have a job to go to, as he has an occupation which is on the "list", but we dont know how we start the ball rolling.
My BIL has given us the name of the emmigration lawyer that he dealt with, so I suppose we should start there.

Oh decisions decisions.

Think I will be on this forum alot over the next few months.

Jackie
My uncle moved to Canada in the early seventies, had to take a lower skilled and paid job. The schools his children went to were not very good to say the least. One cousin eventually went to a community college but left to have a baby, her truck driver boyfriend when he's at home beats her constantly but she can't leave him because she has no money, the other cousin worked in construction until he lost an arm in an work accident, got hooked on pain killers and is now homeless. The uncle died of stress related heart attack.

My other uncle stayed the UK, had a decent job took his family to lots of European holidays. The children prospered because they had the comfort and stability of their family and familiar culture. Both cousins went to university, one to Oxford the other to the LSE and now have lovely homes in the country, great jobs and lovely families. Unless there's a war, stay in your own country.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:03 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My uncle moved to Canada in the early seventies, had to take a lower skilled and paid job. The schools his children went to were not very good to say the least. One cousin eventually went to a community college but left to have a baby, her truck driver boyfriend when he's at home beats her constantly but she can't leave him because she has no money, the other cousin worked in construction until he lost an arm in an work accident, got hooked on pain killers and is now homeless. The uncle died of stress related heart attack.

My other uncle stayed the UK, had a decent job took his family to lots of European holidays. The children prospered because they had the comfort and stability of their family and familiar culture. Both cousins went to university, one to Oxford the other to the LSE and now have lovely homes in the country, great jobs and lovely families. Unless there's a war, stay in your own country.
And this is the moral of your story? We are all the architects of our own fortune or misfortune.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

...but bear in mind that that's only one set of experiences (common though they may be).

I've read so many stories about people who've gone out there with the best of intentions and full of optimism - only to return within a year (even those who've done the research). Then again, there are those who go and make a roaring success of it. Like anything else... you can't know for certain until you try. The best way to approach it, probably, is as a calculated risk. Again... do the research. Don't just go because 'other people' think it's the right thing. 'Other people' are just that!

Last edited by MartianTom; Nov 1st 2009 at 12:21 am.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:06 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure there are many families that have prospered by moving abroad. It's equally as shortsighted to assume that staying put will afford a good life as it is to assume that things will improve abroad. I did alright without shared culture and family as I'm sure many others have.

The UK is not all big houses in the country you know
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I'm sure there are many families that have prospered by moving abroad. It's equally as shortsighted to assume that staying put will afford a good life as it is to assume that things will improve abroad. I did alright without shared culture and family as I'm sure many others have.

The UK is not all big houses in the country you know
It is if you live there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.