Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:06 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Thank you one again for all of your replies.

I personally am of the opinion that your life is what you make it no matter where you are in the world.

I like my life at the moment, my husband doesnt like his life here, and he thinks we will all have a better life in Canada and heres the reasons hes given:-

We live in a large house (my dream home), we have a mortgage of approx £50,000 but the house is valued at £250,000 (this is at todays prices).
His sister who is in Canada now lives in one of those ranch style homes with a theatre room, games room, 5 bedrooms with a pool and a hot tub!!!!!! She bought the house for approx $350,000 canadian dollars, so immediately hes thinking if we moved there we would be mortgage free live in a big house like that with better weather and we would have a pool. She didnt have this when she was here, infact she lived in a semi detached 2 bedroomed home and could no way have afforded having anything near like this in the UK. If I ask him why he thinks we would be better off there, he will say we wont have a mortgage, we will still have money in the bank, and will have an overall better quality of life. These things dont bother me at all.

MY BIL (who lives in Canada) says that its better in Canada because when our children grow up there will be no way that they will be able to get on the housing ladder in the UK whereas they will in Canada, and also the job prospects are better in Canada too, but I dont know about this.

Other things I think about are the education system. We live in Scotland, so the way things stand just now my kids wont need to pay for their further education, whereas in Canada, we would need to pay for their education if they decide to go to college or university. My SIL has also said the education system isnt as good in Canada! I cant comment on this personally because I dont know.

When my FIL was speaking to me about it he told me to look at what SIL and her family have and compare it to what they had here, and told me to think about what we could have if we moved there. Also, when we went to visit SIL in the summer, her daughter (my neice) did some sort of community service thing through the school, and was given a bike (I think if I remember correctly that it was something to do with Tim Nortons or something, maybe someone can correct me on that). So immediately FIL thinks this is a brilliant thing, because "you would never see anyone in the UK doing that because they are all too busy lining their own pockets to think of the youth"!!!!!!

As I said I did miss Canada when I came home, and ive never felt like that when ive come home from a holiday before, and I really really missed Sephora lol.

I just dont want anyone thinking that Im not doing the best for my kids by NOT moving to Canada which is basically what my Inlaws are saying in a roundabout way.

I really miss my SIL when she moved, we were so close to them, and they have said they would love us to move over there, but I just dont know.

Jackie
Big houses and swimming pools don't a happy life make. They also cost a hell of lot more to maintain and heat - especially pools. You really need to discount material gain and look at things like social health, job satisfaction, eduction (which you did mention), you also need to come to terms with leaving family behind - some of us are able to do this - others not so easily.

Just because your SIL has had a positive move, doesn't mean you will. You
need to honestly ask yourself what makes you happy in life and if you are truly honest, I doubt it will be big houses and swimming pools.

You should also experience a true Canadian winter - it is a deal breaker for many. Not that I have experienced one living in Vancouver!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dboy,

these things dont bother me, but for some reason, my husband seems to think that this will be part of the bigger picture that will "give us a better life"

The thing thats most bothering me is with everyone saying "think of your kids, they will have a much better life over there", but I dont know if they will, maybe they will, maybe they wont, I just dont want anyone thinking im selfish and not doing the best for my children.

Jackie
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Just because your SIL has had a positive move, doesn't mean you will.
So true. I have friends here who are quite satisfied with their lot. Her brother moved over, stuck it out for 3 months and moved back, not before buying a house and fully furnishing it though.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but this is your experience I'm sure that there many who have improved their lives. I have top shelf health care, job security, sick pay (unlimited) and an excellent pension.

You are right in urging caution but don't assume that your situation applies to everyone, as much as mine doesn't.
Life in the public sector eh? I've got all those I hope. Though less sure of my pension as I can't rely on tax payers to fund it
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Life in the public sector eh? I've got all those I hope. Though less sure of my pension as I can't rely on tax payers to fund it
Cheers Alan I certainly appreciate you tax contributions. Please keep them coming - I am planning on a long retirement - preferably somewhere warmer!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

That anyone needs to say that because of their job they have topshelf healthcare rather shows that Canada has a crap system where you need a full time job to get benefits and to access those extras that the Canada Health Act doesn't deem to be medically necessary. Such as; OP prescription drugs. OP physiotherapy, fibreglass cast instead of plaster of Paris, dental of any kind, eye tests, loans of crutches, wheelchairs, splints and braces for joints.

The OP is very wise to look beyond the fancy house and pool and to consider what it would really mean. It may work out for her but getting and keeping a job isn't easy.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:47 pm

Hi dboy,

these things dont bother me, but for some reason, my husband seems to think that this will be part of the bigger picture that will "give us a better life"

The thing thats most bothering me is with everyone saying "think of your kids, they will have a much better life over there", but I dont know if they will, maybe they will, maybe they wont, I just dont want anyone thinking im selfish and not doing the best for my children.

Jackie
While I don't have kids, I do hear that kids generally settle here easily. I have also heard that they tend to stay kids longer than the UK, often living at home longer and continuing with education. I have noticed that kids tend to be more immature - which is either good or bad i suppose. of course, I am generalizing.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=dboy;8060724]
Originally Posted by fledermaus

Yes your caution is very real. I thought I said that somewhere. I too have struggled here, but then again the life I had in the UK was a hell of a lot harder. Life at times will "vomit on your hidadown" as Blackadder used to put it but that has less to down with where you are at the time, not discounting how harder things are without family/friends - believe me I know. I also had a very rough first two years here. But fortune rewards the brave and all that.And I wasn't trying to be smug, simply showing both sides of the coin. But I definitely agree that moving abroad if one already has a good life should not be taken lightly.
Fortune rewards the brave? Not always. Those who don't do well here aren't any less brave than you seem to think you have been. Some land on their feet, some don't. You can work bloody hard, minimum wage, get sick, lose a house, be as brave as you even, and still not make it.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Alan I certainly appreciate you tax contributions. Please keep them coming - I am planning on a long retirement - preferably somewhere warmer!
I bet it's index linked as well - you jammy bugger. Try not to get into any dangerous shoot outs near your retirement, especially if you've been showing your fellow coppers pictures of your future boat, beach house or whatever.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:01 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=fledermaus;8060823]

Fortune rewards the brave....

....He who dares Rodney, he who dares.

I think dboy is taking the namesake thing a little too far.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:08 pm

[QUOTE=bsmith;8060849]
Originally Posted by fledermaus

....He who dares Rodney, he who dares.

I think dboy is taking the namesake thing a little too far.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Hello there,

Ive already posted on this board under the "immigration" thread as my husband is thinking of moving to Canada, but im unsure.

Ive never been one that wants to live abroad, I dont know why, its just something Ive never thought of.

We were in Canada on holiday in the summer, and to be honest, when we came back home I really did miss Canada, and thought about it alot. My SIL (husbands sister) and her family live there, and we were very close to them before they moved to Canada last year and I do miss them very much.

My mum says theres nothing here (in GB) and we would be mad not to go, and my FIL and MIL say I should be thinking of our 2 kids because they will have a much better life in Canada than here. Why they think that I dont know because they have only been to Canada for 2 weeks before and that was with us, in the summer. They mean well and are only wanting the best for their grandchildren, but is moving to Canada the best thing for them?
Im now left feeling that if I dont go to Canada, people will be thinking that Im not doing whats best for my children, and that makes me very sad.

Is moving to Canada the best thing for us all?

Why did you want to move to Canada, and can I just ask how long does it roughly take for everything to go ahead? For my Sil it took approx 3 years.

Jackie

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
I wanted to move to Canada because I love the country (I've travelled all over it and holidayed out there many times), I love the people, I love the proximity of the US, I love the way of life...

I could go on. The truth is, though - having thoroughly researched the issue over the last 2 years - that I've decided these reasons are, for me anyway, not enough. So, I'm staying put. I've decided there are other priorities in my life, other things I want to do. At the time, it seemed like a good idea. Now... it's just the wrong thing. I can know that without even needing to try it.

I wish you luck with your own decision.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:14 pm

[QUOTE=fledermaus;8060823]

Fortune rewards the brave? Not always. Those who don't do well here aren't any less brave than you seem to think you have been. Some land on their feet, some don't. You can work bloody hard, minimum wage, get sick, lose a house, be as brave as you even, and still not make it.
Yes of course there is certain amount of luck in life. I agree and have in fact often said the same:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...38#post8042538

However, your comments are true of life anywhere.............. There is something to be said of making your own luck in life.

Last edited by dboy; Oct 31st 2009 at 11:19 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Hi dboy,

Jackie
Please, stop listening to what everyone else says. It has to be your decision. It has to be what you think is best. Personally, I'm always a bit dubious when people say they're doing it 'for the kids'. Are there any guarantees that what the kids get out there will be any better than what they get anywhere else? Why should you be feeling selfish about denying them something the outcome of which you cannot predict? Do your research thoroughly, get plenty of objective opinions. Don't listen to people who say 'you have to do it, otherwise you'll regret it' and 'think about your kids', because all they're doing is applying a moral pressure to the decision that can easily cloud your judgment - and that's not what you need with something so major.

When you start something like this, it takes on a momentum that can be difficult to control. I think it takes just as much bravery to back out of it as it does to go ahead - because you risk losing face, being shown up as a coward (that pressure from 'other people' again!), opening yourself up to regrets. You have to keep control of it, though. As I say, do your research... but don't over-analyze it. In the end, your head and your heart together will tell you what's right. It's YOUR decision. No one else's.

Whatever you do, good luck. If you do go ahead, I hope it works out well for you. If you don't go ahead, don't feel bad. There are always other alternatives.

Last edited by MartianTom; Oct 31st 2009 at 11:53 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Is there something wrong with the quote function?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.