Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:53 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Tangram
The whole of England ? Wow, you HAVE travelled
The taxes and fuel prices are all the same wherever you go in England. Quality of life could be better ONLY if you can afford it.

Last edited by Edo; Oct 31st 2009 at 4:36 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Most people in the UK do not vote in National Elections.
The general election turnout is about 60%, so it is simply not true to say that "most people in the UK" so not vote.

If the electorate of the UK didn't like it, they could vote for parties that state they wish to withdraw the UK from the EU. People do not vote in sufficient numbers for this to happen, therefore, one must assume that the electorate of the UK is happy with the status quo.

You may not like it, but the majority of the electorate in the UK that are sufficiently concerned about it to vote evidently don't.
DO you mean like the BNP or something? None of the main parties are advocating pulling out of the EU. You are possibly confusing not having a choice with agreement.

When people actually take the time to look at the laws being enacted, most intelligent people will opine that the "best" laws come from the EU anyway. Without the EU, employees in the UK would have nothing like the protection they do. In my experience, most of the objections to laws enacted by the EU come from misinformed readers of articles written by lazy or biased reporters of tabloids in the UK who have nothing better to do than spout crap about "bananas that are not straight enough" etc.
Are you saying that anybody who does not think that the "best" laws came from the EU is unintelligent. Unlike you I presume. Good lord.

BTW UK employees have had employment protection long before the EU came along.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Most people in the UK do not vote in National Elections. The EU, as I am sure you are aware, is made up of sovereign states that have agreed to "hand over" certain powers to the "federal" authority. The sovereign states retain exclusive control over all other areas.
The old Soviet Union had a fairly similar constitutional structure.

If the electorate of the UK didn't like it, they could vote for parties that state they wish to withdraw the UK from the EU. People do not vote in sufficient numbers for this to happen, therefore, one must assume that the electorate of the UK is happy with the status quo.

You may not like it, but the majority of the electorate in the UK that are sufficiently concerned about it to vote evidently don't.
Which is the fundamental problem. That and the fact that Britain has effectively become a one-party state, there may still be a fiction of three different parties but their substantive policies on the real issues are identical.

The distinction I would draw between Britain and Australia/Canada/NZ is as follows. Politicians in the three latter countries are not perfect but it's fair to say that the majority know what country they belong to and believe in doing what is best for their country, even if that is misguided. It used to be that way in Britain. Whereas now, the majority of British politicians are more interested in serving the interests of the EU (effectively Brussels, Paris and Berlin) even if these conflict with vital British interests.

If or when the British electorate wakes up to this they may find at that point that EU membership will be as voluntary as that of the former Warsaw Pact.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

I'm gonna go for the "cos England's ***t" comment, can't argue with it and I have travelled the length and breadth of the country, the only happy people here are the ones with plenty of money, The rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer and the working class paying for all the f****** illegal immigrants and dole wallers/benefits cheats!!!
In my humble opinion which I am entitled to before someone gets all high and mighty!!!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

As for Canada, I found it to be a friendly place with helpful, friendly people, clean parks, safe streets, relaxing driving conditions and of course the more for your money regarding housing always helps.
Add to this the breathtaking scenery and National Parks and clean air!!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Kokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hello there,

Ive already posted on this board under the "immigration" thread as my husband is thinking of moving to Canada, but im unsure.

Ive never been one that wants to live abroad, I dont know why, its just something Ive never thought of.

We were in Canada on holiday in the summer, and to be honest, when we came back home I really did miss Canada, and thought about it alot. My SIL (husbands sister) and her family live there, and we were very close to them before they moved to Canada last year and I do miss them very much.

My mum says theres nothing here (in GB) and we would be mad not to go, and my FIL and MIL say I should be thinking of our 2 kids because they will have a much better life in Canada than here. Why they think that I dont know because they have only been to Canada for 2 weeks before and that was with us, in the summer. They mean well and are only wanting the best for their grandchildren, but is moving to Canada the best thing for them?
Im now left feeling that if I dont go to Canada, people will be thinking that Im not doing whats best for my children, and that makes me very sad.

Is moving to Canada the best thing for us all?

Why did you want to move to Canada, and can I just ask how long does it roughly take for everything to go ahead? For my Sil it took approx 3 years.

Jackie

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
The Lifestyle is the major difference.

Its is the availability and affordability that makes a difference.
There is nothing in Canada I couldnt do in the UK but not sitting in traffic for an hour, not queueing and not feeling ripped off makes a big difference.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Is moving to Canada the best thing for us all?
If you have a decent quality of life now and you are reasonably happy, I would think very hard about moving here.

Things are not the same here as they were a few years ago, the major push factors for us at the time were the good exchange rate, booming economy, and my children being at that perfect age to move. 11 & 4.

Now you have a crap exchange rate and it's much harder to get a job. Having said that, if you are lucky enough to secure a decent job from the UK, go for it
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:34 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The general election turnout is about 60%, so it is simply not true to say that "most people in the UK" so not vote.

DO you mean like the BNP or something? None of the main parties are advocating pulling out of the EU. You are possibly confusing not having a choice with agreement.

Are you saying that anybody who does not think that the "best" laws came from the EU is unintelligent. Unlike you I presume. Good lord.

BTW UK employees have had employment protection long before the EU came along.
But he's right. You just don't feel strongly enough about it at all. If you did you would do something, but you don't. You just like moaning about it.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mags1972
I'm gonna go for the "cos England's ***t" comment, can't argue with it and I have travelled the length and breadth of the country, the only happy people here are the ones with plenty of money, The rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer and the working class paying for all the f****** illegal immigrants and dole wallers/benefits cheats!!!
In my humble opinion which I am entitled to before someone gets all high and mighty!!!
Oh dear. You do know that the tax burden is about the same here don't you? Canadian government is huge and spends other peoples money in the same way that the UK one does.

Economically the country is fcked though. Those things you have complained about will have to stop anyway as government spending needs to be cut significantly. The same will happen here when the stimulus bill comes in, however the UK's will be much higher.

Still, quite a bit of the UK is actually quite nice. Edinburgh, Dorset, Yorkshire Dales, Lake district etc.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:56 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Life is what you make of it where ever you are. Some find a better life here in Canada (i did) others don't. As already stated, if you like your life and are well connected with family and friends, then think long and hard, especially if you are in stable, well paying employment. You will often hear people referring to the push rather than the pulls. That is some leave because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that the UK has gone to the dogs and there are limited opportunities for themselves and their kids and better ones overseas. Other may leave simply for specific work experience, adventure, for a change etc (or like some of us to be with a foreign spouse).

Attitude is a big one and uprooting one self is a major stressor, wrought with challenges. Take a look at the heading back to the uk thread. Many who do want to go home, seem to have found that their lives were no better (although it amazes me that some give up so quickly after only a few months) and ironically seem to head home for the very reasons they left (rose tinted glasses on backwards?).

Not trying to put you off, but it really is a huge decision and yes you can always go back, though financially and practically speaking it's not quite that straight forward.

I also believe that different stages in your life impact your ability to adapt to a move. 25 with no real prospects or responsibility in one place is very different than mid 40s with kids and secure job and house to sell.

I would have to think very long and hard about ever leaving vancouver at this stage in my life, as I would simply have way too much to lose and very little to gain.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I can see only one reason to immigrate to another country and make it successful - Change for the sake of change.

Most immigrating and expecting an sudden change in the quality of life is likley going to be disappointed. The exception would perhaps be those coming from under developed countries, which contrary to what some may think, the UK is not one of them.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I can see only one reason to immigrate to another country and make it successful - Change for the sake of change.

Most immigrating and expecting an sudden change in the quality of life is likley going to be disappointed. The exception would perhaps be those coming from under developed countries, which contrary to what some may think, the UK is not one of them.
Those selling houses in the UK between '05 and '07 and moving when the exchange rate was 2.30/2.40 could expect a step change in quality of life as they could live mortgage free. That's not the case now - and there is truth in what you say.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

TheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant future

There's really no doubt that the cliche of, "the grass is always greener on the other side" is applicable with most cases of immigration. That's the whole point of it, yes, but it is also misleading.

And, as for those who claim that they have experienced everything that the UK has to offer, I will say this. Unless you are approaching your 220th birthday, no. You have not. If you ever experience everything which the UK has to offer, I will be long dead, so you will not be able to brag about it to me. Quick-temperedness and impatience are not good motivating factors for immigrating to another country, especially one which isn't the UK.

There are plenty of good reasons that people have, and have thought carefully about, for moving to Canada. And, I respect that. But, claiming that the UK is not a good country is simply incorrect, almost to a comical extent.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:07 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

These type of questions always draw out a myriad of response that trigger strong reactions.

Generally people move for different reasons and have different perspectives on the state of the UK. If you shoot at it then a mass of people complain about your post and if you claim the UK is fine and why do people see Canada as anyway specifically better, then a different group rise to the bait and put their points/opinons forward.

For me I grew angry with the politicians, the wilful targeting of my income bracket as the county's cashpoint machine, the destruction of my pension fund plus the seemingly ever increasing hand over of our sovereignty to the EU. If I was going to pay high taxes I may as well live somewhere with a better quality of life .... and the rest is history.

I now (in nearly four years) have a better house, car, job, work - life balance, than I had from 1996 through to 2005 in the UK. during which my life style seemed to be one of spiralling down and work was overwhelming my time.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:15 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

To go to the orginal questions:

I'd like to experience living abroad (again, but only if 4 months counts!)
The place I am aiming for is beautiful - lake, mountains, ski resorts
The weather - hot dry summers, snowy winters & less wind & rain than uk
Proximity to USA where I like to visit (however depends which side given E - W distance)
Some family are already there.
Love to travel in Canada - whales, bears, sea etc
Am looking for partial retirement (work but less hassle job) than here

No kids though so I don't have that to consider.

good luck with your choice - it has taken me 4-5 yrs to make my mind up, so I would suggest you take as long as you need to be comfortable with the choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.