Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do you want to move to Canada

Hello there,

Ive already posted on this board under the "immigration" thread as my husband is thinking of moving to Canada, but im unsure.

Ive never been one that wants to live abroad, I dont know why, its just something Ive never thought of.

We were in Canada on holiday in the summer, and to be honest, when we came back home I really did miss Canada, and thought about it alot. My SIL (husbands sister) and her family live there, and we were very close to them before they moved to Canada last year and I do miss them very much.

My mum says theres nothing here (in GB) and we would be mad not to go, and my FIL and MIL say I should be thinking of our 2 kids because they will have a much better life in Canada than here. Why they think that I dont know because they have only been to Canada for 2 weeks before and that was with us, in the summer. They mean well and are only wanting the best for their grandchildren, but is moving to Canada the best thing for them?
Im now left feeling that if I dont go to Canada, people will be thinking that Im not doing whats best for my children, and that makes me very sad.

Is moving to Canada the best thing for us all?

Why did you want to move to Canada, and can I just ask how long does it roughly take for everything to go ahead? For my Sil it took approx 3 years.

Jackie

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:22 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Cos England's _ _ _ t

Do it do it... adventure!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:29 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Cos England's _ _ _ t

Do it do it... adventure!
The whole of England ? Wow, you HAVE travelled
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Much of the Uk is pretty good all things considered and if my circumstances were to change and I had to return, it would not be the end of the world. Main impact would be financial and no longer being able to enjoy the life style I have become accustomed to here in Canada.

Its a huge move, more so for a family, jobs and missing family/friends in the UK, apparently the main reasons for it not working for many who make the move and end up returning after a year or so.

Think long and hard...lots of pro's and cons to be sure....and spending some time here on vacation is a world away from living here 24/7 with all the initial turmoil that such a life altering decision will involve. When considering something new, we tend to get a little over optimistic and see things as we would prefer to see them rather than how they really are....

Best of luck....
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Things may be different now, but when we came to Ottawa in 1963, life in the UK was still very bleak (housing and education).
Our two children were born in the UK and both settled in quickly to Canadian life.
My son went to University in Ottawa and got his Bcom in 1980. He is now in Washington with the IMF.
Our daughter didn't want to go to university, but has a very fulfilling life in Montreal.
Both are married and we have a 27 year old grandson who is a pilot with the UN.
I left school at 14 but worked hard at getting an education, finally becoming a Design Draftsman, which lead to a job offer in Ottawa.
Have rarely returned to the UK and never had any regrets.

Canada (IMO) has a much better future than the UK.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:18 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
Things may be different now, but when we came to Ottawa in 1963, life in the UK was still very bleak (housing and education).
Canada (IMO) has a much better future than the UK.
I'm with you on this comment Both daughters have settled in (it was harder for the 18 year old) and despite their cries of wanting to move back to the UK after our trip back this year, they both decided they would prefer to stay here.

PS the life in the UK was bleak (housing, crime and education) when we left in 2005
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

My SIL has been there for just over a year and loves it, says if she won the lottery she wouldnt come back to UK to stay.

I dont know why im reluctant, its my nature to worry anyway, so its probably just me. Ive told my husband I would like him to have a job to go to, as he has an occupation which is on the "list", but we dont know how we start the ball rolling.
My BIL has given us the name of the emmigration lawyer that he dealt with, so I suppose we should start there.

Oh decisions decisions.

Think I will be on this forum alot over the next few months.

Jackie
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dave & Jules,

ive just had a wee look at your pictures (hope you dont mind), I really love the winter ones, they look brilliant.

Jackie xx
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w
My mum says theres nothing here (in GB) and we would be mad not to go, and my FIL and MIL say I should be thinking of our 2 kids because they will have a much better life in Canada than here. Why they think that I dont know because they have only been to Canada for 2 weeks before and that was with us, in the summer. They mean well and are only wanting the best for their grandchildren, but is moving to Canada the best thing for them?
Im now left feeling that if I dont go to Canada, people will be thinking that Im not doing whats best for my children, and that makes me very sad.

Do you qualify for a visa? If no, the question is somewhat academic.

If you do qualify to migrate, don't go expecting a "better life" in the short term as you may be disappointed and if you're within the majority, missing friends and family will be a big deal.

That said, looking into the future Canada probably has a much better future than Britain because, a. it has a stronger sense of national identity and b. it is not standing by as its democracy and national freedom are taken over step by step in the EU.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie - Start here. Put the kettle on, pull up a chair, and get comfy. Read it once, then read it all again - then come back on here and start asking questions.

Be aware that immigration lawyers are perhaps a good idea if you have a more complicated case but cost many pounds or dollars. Many on this site have managed to do all the paperwork themselves.

And finally, if you still really don't want to move after getting lots of information, that is fine too. It's not compulsory and you shouldn't feel pushed into it.

Welcome to the madhouse.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do you qualify for a visa? If no, the question is somewhat academic.

If you do qualify to migrate, don't go expecting a "better life" in the short term as you may be disappointed and if you're within the majority, missing friends and family will be a big deal.

That said, looking into the future Canada probably has a much better future than Britain because, a. it has a stronger sense of national identity and b. it is not standing by as its democracy and national freedom are taken over step by step in the EU.
Hello Jaj,

I dont know if we qualify for a visa as my husband hasnt looked into this properly because ive been unsure. My husband has a job which is on the list dont know if that means we have a better chance of getting in or not.

Its something we have to look into more.

Jackie
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
Jackie - Start here. Put the kettle on, pull up a chair, and get comfy. Read it once, then read it all again - then come back on here and start asking questions.

Be aware that immigration lawyers are perhaps a good idea if you have a more complicated case but cost many pounds or dollars. Many on this site have managed to do all the paperwork themselves.

And finally, if you still really don't want to move after getting lots of information, that is fine too. It's not compulsory and you shouldn't feel pushed into it.

Welcome to the madhouse.

Thank you Anne,

Will have a look at details you have provided.

Jackie xx
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I'm with you on this comment Both daughters have settled in (it was harder for the 18 year old) and despite their cries of wanting to move back to the UK after our trip back this year, they both decided they would prefer to stay here.

PS the life in the UK was bleak (housing, crime and education) when we left in 2005
Our kids were 3 & 6 so they hadn't formed any real attachment.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
it is not standing by as its democracy and national freedom are taken over step by step in the EU.
Most people in the UK do not vote in National Elections. The EU, as I am sure you are aware, is made up of sovereign states that have agreed to "hand over" certain powers to the "federal" authority. The sovereign states retain exclusive control over all other areas.

If the electorate of the UK didn't like it, they could vote for parties that state they wish to withdraw the UK from the EU. People do not vote in sufficient numbers for this to happen, therefore, one must assume that the electorate of the UK is happy with the status quo.

You may not like it, but the majority of the electorate in the UK that are sufficiently concerned about it to vote evidently don't.

In any event, practically, it makes no difference whether the laws are enacted in the UK, in the EU or elsewhere in the world (if they applied to the UK). No matter what the policiticians do, some will agree, some won't, most won't care but will moan incessantly about it.

When people actually take the time to look at the laws being enacted, most intelligent people will opine that the "best" laws come from the EU anyway. Without the EU, employees in the UK would have nothing like the protection they do. In my experience, most of the objections to laws enacted by the EU come from misinformed readers of articles written by lazy or biased reporters of tabloids in the UK who have nothing better to do than spout crap about "bananas that are not straight enough" etc.

It is not much different in Canada. The Feds whine about the Provinces, the Provinces whine about the Feds, the municipalities whine about the Provinces, all pushing their own objectives, but, a great deal of the time, missing the bigger picture. For the purposes of this paragraph, I am talking about the politicians.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w

Why did you want to move to Canada, and can I just ask how long does it roughly take for everything to go ahead? For my Sil it took approx 3 years.
Only you can know if its best for you and your family. My PR application took a little under 8 weeks start to finish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.