Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by googlemonster
I'm talking about how immigrants "just turn up" in the UK. The UK system is way easier to game, every immigrant knows this, that's why soo many turn up on UK shores. Most of this riff raff can't even speak English never mind do anything else. When they come to the UK with no education and no money it puts a strain on all public services - did you know over 2/3 of Somalis claim unemployment benefits in London for example? The UK does not need these people at all.

I'm not talking about the education system which is probably similar. England has suffered from un-educated migrant problems for years, but having said that, we have the same problem with large elements of society in general like the whole population of somewhere like Rotherham.
Stop the bus ROTHERHAM? not every one who lives there spent there educational years in the dunce hat
My nan has lived all here life in rotherham apart from a few years she spent at oh let me see OXFORD UNIVERSITY and by the way until i moved to doncaster for a change i was raised and educated in oh ROTHERHAM and i have two bachelors degrees from redbrick universities and a place on a masters when i return to the uk, SO BACK OFF ROTHERHAM
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:13 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
Stop the bus ROTHERHAM? not every one who lives there spent there educational years in the dunce hat
My nan has lived all here life in rotherham apart from a few years she spent at oh let me see OXFORD UNIVERSITY and by the way until i moved to doncaster for a change i was raised and educated in oh ROTHERHAM and i have two bachelors degrees from redbrick universities and a place on a masters when i return to the uk, SO BACK OFF ROTHERHAM
So why do you confuse "Her" and "Here"? Notice a lot of people on here also confuse "To" and "Too" and "There" and "Their" mmmmmmmmmm Feel a song coming on here
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:16 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow this thread makes interesting reading!

I know I'm coming to this very late but here are my reasons:-

1) When we went on a reccie to Canada we stayed with my brother and for the first time we allowed our kids (11 and 8) to take themselves off to the park as we felt it was safe. Sadly my kids can't even stand and wait outside the house for the icecream van here as they got a load of abuse by little thugs last time they did.

2) The class sizes are daft, they have merged three classes into two and there are now 35+ kids per class and the kids are definately suffering for it, as are the teachers.

3) A couple of nights ago I stopped two young little boys (no older than six or seven) chucking cones into the paths of oncoming cars. So they picked up a brick and chucked it at our house instead - nice - and at 10 oclock at night.

4) We can't afford to live! We can't afford to put petrol in the car! We are taxed to the hilt, we can barely afford to pay for staff any more because it has got so daft here with all the various taxes. Our gas bill for six months came to £700!!

5) "Bad" immigration has got out of control here, I'm not talking about immigrants that come to the country live and work by the rules, I'm talking about those that are flooding the country and bleeding it dry. I know we will be immigrants but as my husband has always said and as I've read on here we will move over, live and work by the rules of the country that we go to, we will stop at stop signs, we will park our car on the path rather than the road and so on - the fact that we didn't have to do it here in the UK is no excuse for not doig it in the country where we move to - we fully intend to live by their laws.

6) My brother & his family are in Canada (my sister in law and my nieces are canadians), as is my dads brother, my dad also has several cousins in Canada and I have cousins too so Canada has always had big ties with Canada, my parents tried to emmigrate there several times but stopped due to aging parents and so on, so somehow this feels like an inevitability.

7) My eldest daughter is very bright but it worries me she won't get a place in a university because she isn't from a broken family or disabled or isn't a foreign national etc. This is already beginning to happen, where bright british middle class kids are being discriminated against because they are "born with opportunities" and therefore places are being given to those without these so called opportunities. I have read several instances of this happening and it worries me how much further this will go in the next few years.

8) Again my eldest is getting to that age where she is demanding independence and it won't be long before she wants to go out clubbing at night and so on and this really worries me. We were in the city centre last night and it was just horrible - full of drunks and thugs and people off their faces with drugs and I can't help but worry like crazy but I don't want to hold her back.

Mostly though I am doing it for the children, I believe they will have a better quality of life over there and for that we are willing to give up our family and friends here, just to give them a fighting chance of a better future.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:29 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=heidi_K;6846723]Wow this thread makes interesting reading!

5) "Bad" immigration has got out of control here, I'm not talking about immigrants that come to the country live and work by the rules, I'm talking about those that are flooding the country and bleeding it dry. I know we will be immigrants but as my husband has always said and as I've read on here we will move over, live and work by the rules of the country that we go to, we will stop at stop signs, we will park our car on the path rather than the road and so on - the fact that we didn't have to do it here in the UK is no excuse for not doig it in the country where we move to - we fully intend to live by their laws.

There is bad immigration around most of Europe at the moment, it just seems extra bad though in the UK, but this is partly due to their generous attitude to immigrants. Unfortunately, these immigrants will just go on milking the system and ruin it for those that really do need the support of the NHS. Most people I think when going to Canada or AUS etc go with your attitude anyway, which is the right attitude when going to a new country And this is what makes these countries, great places for those that will follow in your footsteps
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

desperate36 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was an immigrant in UK under the highly skilled immigrant program.

We decided to move to Canada because I think the government are just pure dunce.

My husbands makes about £200k per year and pays tax. But we were told we won't qualify for citizenship or even permanent residency because he travels a lot. I am pratically in the UK all year round but I am told I will not qualify too.

So, guess what? We decided to move here, where I am quaranteed of getting my citizenship after just 3years (it is 6-7yrs in the UK), and if we have a good lawyer, we can make a case for my husband who is still doing his job to get his citizenship too.

Another thing that amazes me about UK is their lack of pride in their culture. How can foreigners come to your country and you put your culture aside to accomodate them? It just blows my mind. What is the goverment scared off? A British guy cannot go to say Qatar (my husband works there and I visit a lot) and try to force his culture on them there. Why can't the British goverment and people be known to stand by their culture. I just wish the British people will make a firm stand.

Finally, contrary to what many people are saying on this forum, not all immigrants are a drain on the system. We contribute our fair share to the economy of our host country.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:23 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by desperate36
I was an immigrant in UK under the highly skilled immigrant program.

We decided to move to Canada because I think the government are just pure dunce.

My husbands makes about £200k per year and pays tax. But we were told we won't qualify for citizenship or even permanent residency because he travels a lot. I am pratically in the UK all year round but I am told I will not qualify too.

So, guess what? We decided to move here, where I am quaranteed of getting my citizenship after just 3years (it is 6-7yrs in the UK), and if we have a good lawyer, we can make a case for my husband who is still doing his job to get his citizenship too.

Another thing that amazes me about UK is their lack of pride in their culture. How can foreigners come to your country and you put your culture aside to accomodate them? It just blows my mind. What is the goverment scared off? A British guy cannot go to say Qatar (my husband works there and I visit a lot) and try to force his culture on them there. Why can't the British goverment and people be known to stand by their culture. I just wish the British people will make a firm stand.

Finally, contrary to what many people are saying on this forum, not all immigrants are a drain on the system. We contribute our fair share to the economy of our host country.
This is what democracies do for you, they weaken the national identity of a country in order to accomodate the culture and identities of others (There are some exceptions) On the one hand this is a good thing as it shows tolerance and acceptance of others, but sadly somewhere in the process the country itself gradually loseses its own identity. The normal habits and lifestyles of the people in the country, now start to come under threat if these habits etc somehow offend the new immigrants that have arrived and agree with you as it certainly shouldn`t be like this.

Here in Spain the Spanish flag is constantly on show outside houses etc but have noticed in the UK, if the Union Jack is put on show it seems to be seen as something racist, but Why?????? Its the national flag of the UK and if the residents of the UK want to display it when and how they please, then they should be allowed to do it without upsetting other cultures there.

Surprising that Canada is easier than the UK for citizenship but saying this I don`t know too much about immigration into the EU so it may well be quite difficult.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:33 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by googlemonster
I'm talking about how immigrants "just turn up" in the UK. The UK system is way easier to game, every immigrant knows this, that's why soo many turn up on UK shores. Most of this riff raff can't even speak English never mind do anything else. When they come to the UK with no education and no money it puts a strain on all public services - did you know over 2/3 of Somalis claim unemployment benefits in London for example? The UK does not need these people at all.

I'm not talking about the education system which is probably similar. England has suffered from un-educated migrant problems for years, but having said that, we have the same problem with large elements of society in general like the whole population of somewhere like Rotherham.

So its ok for you to emigrate but not them. You're allowed to find a new life but they cant?
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:47 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Londonuck
So its ok for you to emigrate but not them. You're allowed to find a new life but they cant?
I doubt if the postee is going to Canada to sponge off the state and I imagine he will adapt quickly as language and culture won`t be an issue for him. So I don`t think his situation is the same as immigrants that come to the UK to milk the system.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperate36

He wouldn't here either.

Only if you entered as PR. But that might take a very long time, or indeed be impossible, if your husband is working for a foreign (not Canadian) company in the Middle East.

Ha! I somehow don't think you'd like Canada. For all its warts, it's extremely open to all sorts of cultures from wherever people happen to arrive from. This may be less true of some rural areas and Alberta. But you wouldn't want to live there anyway.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you jules, i dont think he or we will demand that all canadian flags are removed so as not to insult the UK.
We will live in Canada with Canadians obeying the Canadian way of life and laws.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This may be less true of some rural areas and Alberta. But you wouldn't want to live there anyway.
There you go again with the sweeping generalisation and misconception of Alberta.

Why is it that people from eastern Canada more specifically Ontario want to believe and have everyone else believe that we in Alberta are all homophobes and intolerant of anyone who isn't white or Anglo-Saxon?

Calgary Population by Ethnic Origins + Language by Mother Tongue
Source Calgary Economic Development and Statistics Canada, 2006 Census.

<Steve walks off sadly shaking his head.>

Last edited by Steve_P; Oct 5th 2008 at 6:19 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:12 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Steve_P
There you go again with the sweeping generalisation and misconception of Alberta.

Why is it that people from eastern Canada more specifically Ontario want to believe and have everyone else believe that we in Alberta are all homophobes and intolerant of anyone who isn't white or Anglo-Saxon?

Once heard that Calgary has one of the largest Chinese cultural centres in North America!!!!!!!! Always believed as well, that it was a popular destination for different ethnic minorities coming to Canada.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you Steve_P about Alberta getting a bad rap. You Westerners are often portrayed as bigoted rednecks and racists. All untrue. Quebec has also gotten a bad rap. True, in these parts we do have insane signage laws, but that does not mean residents here are all hostile to Anglos and immigrants. On the contrary.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:21 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Agree with you Steve_P about Alberta getting a bad rap. You Westerners are often portrayed as bigoted rednecks and racists. All untrue. Quebec has also gotten a bad rap. True, in these parts we do have insane signage laws, but that does not mean residents here are all hostile to Anglos and immigrants. On the contrary.
A Canadian friend of mine a French speaker from Quebec who now lives in Toronto, once told me that when she returns to Quebec with her Toronto or Ontario plated car, she sometimes has problems getting petrol and being served quickly at gas stations in Quebec. It is only when she speaks in French that she is treated differently. Don`t now how true this is or is it just an isolated case.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Calgary Population by Ethnic Origins + Language by Mother Tongue
Source Calgary Economic Development and Statistics Canada, 2006 Census.

Guilty as charged. But despite the presence of some extremely decent folk there, you have to notice that a right wing government has been in power for most peoples' living memory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.