Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by googlemonster
http://www.researchasylum.org.uk/?lid=139

"Somalis in Camden and 71% of respondents claim state benefits,"

and don't troll my other threads with comment's out of context please.
Those numbers are for Camden. A single borough with a large immigrant population. Your earlier claim referred to London.

I haven't trolled, you wanted an opinion on Halifax and, given your concern with race, I thought it helpful to point out that Halifax is pretty white.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:14 pm
Banned

googlemonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Those numbers are for Camden. A single borough with a large immigrant population. Your earlier claim referred to London.

I haven't trolled, you wanted an opinion on Halifax and, given your concern with race, I thought it helpful to point out that Halifax is pretty white.
Ya, well they settle in ghettos, London was just to show which general area they resided in.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ubdai
If it was still Rhodesia, the country would not be in the sh*t state it is now.
Just ask the normal average black who they would like in charge. When the white farmers were there at least everyone had food to eat.

ubdai
I should pull out of the debate with dbd33 if I were you ubdai. Clearly he's living in cloud cuckoo land. Canada is far less accessible to most economic migrants, particularly those from Eastern Europe & Africa etc. and far stricter in its border controls. The UK offers a generous benefit system making it an obvious country of choice. The link dbd33 referred to was 3 years old and compiled from statistics taken years earlier, so completely out of date and still showing 55% unemployment fro the particular group you referred to. Also stated an 'Employment Rate of 16%' so work that one out ! As for the comparison between a poor but free and rich but slaves. What a ridiculous statement. South Africa whilst it still has its problems would be a better example than Zimbabwe where they are both slaves and poverty stricken !
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
I should pull out of the debate with dbd33 if I were you ubdai. Clearly he's living in cloud cuckoo land. Canada is far less accessible to most economic migrants, particularly those from Eastern Europe & Africa etc. and far stricter in its border controls. The UK offers a generous benefit system making it an obvious country of choice. The link dbd33 referred to was 3 years old and compiled from statistics taken years earlier, so completely out of date and still showing 55% unemployment fro the particular group you referred to. Also stated an 'Employment Rate of 16%' so work that one out ! As for the comparison between a poor but free and rich but slaves. What a ridiculous statement. South Africa whilst it still has its problems would be a better example than Zimbabwe where they are both slaves and poverty stricken !
The line about poverty and slaves is a quote from Sékou Touré.

Canada is far less accessible to migrants because of the ocean, not because of policy; Somalian refugees, indeed refugees from many countries are welcomed here.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Wow

Just out of curiosity, what would some of you guys do if you lived in those countries mentioned and had family to bring up ?

The UK does a hell of a lot for others - Why is that a bad thing ?

For those emigrating from the UK to anywhere in the world, are surely doing so to better their own lives, family and childrens. Isn't it the same thing ?

Can't quite understand the difference, other than the obvious lifestyle of each country (some have no alternative and I feel it's a real shame).

Peace to the world I say
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:57 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76
Just out of curiosity, what would some of you guys do if you lived in those countries mentioned and had family to bring up ?

The UK does a hell of a lot for others - Why is that a bad thing ?

For those emigrating from the UK to anywhere in the world, are surely doing so to better their own lives, family and childrens. Isn't it the same thing ?
Kate your bang on

The problem is so many on here are just a bunch of hypocrites

Running from the UK with as much equity as they can muster just to join another similar country but this time as an immigrant and reap the benefits of that country and taking jobs in that country that many locals probably think should be theirs

The real irony is that to get those super sized houses many move out to those cheaper areas that often as not have the higher unemployment rates
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:48 pm
Banned

It's NOT civilised:

Teen gets jeered and jumps to death

In a final sickening act, some of those responsible for the abuse outside the Westfield shopping centre in Derby rushed from behind the police cordon to take pictures of the teenager's body on their mobile phones.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:59 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

It's NOT civilised:

Teen gets jeered and jumps to death

In a final sickening act, some of those responsible for the abuse outside the Westfield shopping centre in Derby rushed from behind the police cordon to take pictures of the teenager's body on their mobile phones.
For every story you produce like that from the UK, something equally as tragic could be found happening in Canada.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by R I C H
For every story you produce like that from the UK, something equally as tragic could be found happening in Canada.
Bollocks. Find me a story of people cheering someon jumping off a building - clown'ish comment
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:08 pm
Banned

Bollocks. Find me a story of people cheering someon jumping off a building - clown'ish comment
Edit: haha you put pea brain
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:09 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I clearly didn't say that there's an identical scenario, just that similarly tragic things happen here too. The UK's not got exclusive ownership of idiots.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by R I C H
I clearly didn't say that there's an identical scenario, just that similarly tragic things happen here too. The UK's not got exclusive ownership of idiots.
I know that, but damn dude, UK has major problems with society in general. It comes from the top imo.

A jeering crowd taunted a suicidal teenager as he threatened to jump from the top of a city-centre car park.

In a shocking indictment of modern Britain, youths who gathered in the street below yelled at 17-year-old Shaun Dykes to kill himself over the course of three hours.

One allegedly shouted: 'How far can you bounce?'
Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

lifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nice

Hmmm... not wanting to get into a debate on here but find a lot of the comments about immigrants in the UK upsetting and inaccurate. I've been living in the UK as an immigrant for 4 years (from the US) and like all of you already in Canada have had to pay ridiculous fees to live here, pass Knowledge of the UK tests, "relearn" how to drive and pass said exam, take a lower paying job as my degree and experience weren't recognised, etc. etc. Just saying that a lot of us are here having jumped through a million hoops, paying all sorts of money, and so on, so far from sponges.

Anyhoo...why I want to leave the UK? Well my husband and I are hugely fed up with the drink/violence/benefits culture. He's lived in the UK all his life and in the past two years has gotten up close and familiar with the violence - only a few months ago dh and his friend were jumped by a group of drunk teens on the train for no reason. Both our cars have been broken into and vandalised. The constant abuse and intimidation when walking down the street - or in Asda last night.

Also have saved up and pay a fortune for a house we bought just over a year ago for three houses in our street to have been bought and let out to riff-raff who have trashed their lawns, have children who shout abuse at you, and to have to listen to drunken violent arguments and fights in the street every weekend. Woken up at 3am last night to the sound of men shouting at each other and another man chasing a guy down the street waving a huge stick....is this a civilized country?!?!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:52 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Hmmm... not wanting to get into a debate on here but find a lot of the comments about immigrants in the UK upsetting and inaccurate. I've been living in the UK as an immigrant for 4 years (from the US) and like all of you already in Canada have had to pay ridiculous fees to live here, pass Knowledge of the UK tests, "relearn" how to drive and pass said exam, take a lower paying job as my degree and experience weren't recognised, etc. etc. Just saying that a lot of us are here having jumped through a million hoops, paying all sorts of money, and so on, so far from sponges.

Anyhoo...why I want to leave the UK? Well my husband and I are hugely fed up with the drink/violence/benefits culture. He's lived in the UK all his life and in the past two years has gotten up close and familiar with the violence - only a few months ago dh and his friend were jumped by a group of drunk teens on the train for no reason. Both our cars have been broken into and vandalised. The constant abuse and intimidation when walking down the street - or in Asda last night.

Also have saved up and pay a fortune for a house we bought just over a year ago for three houses in our street to have been bought and let out to riff-raff who have trashed their lawns, have children who shout abuse at you, and to have to listen to drunken violent arguments and fights in the street every weekend. Woken up at 3am last night to the sound of men shouting at each other and another man chasing a guy down the street waving a huge stick....is this a civilized country?!?!
Never understand why Americans want to live in the UK or Europe, especially when you have so much more in your own country. Suppose in your case it was family connections.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:58 am
Just Joined

lifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nicelifeisgood is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Never understand why Americans want to live in the UK or Europe, especially when you have so much more in your own country. Suppose in your case it was family connections.
It was a case of my husband is Scottish and didn't want to move away from his family at the time....we had to choose one or the other. And I suppose a lot of us still buy into the myth that there's loads of culture and a sophisticated lifestyle in Europe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.