Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by dbd33
To expand on that a little, I think emigrating from the UK to Canada is about cashing in one's household equity so as to be able to acquire more stuff upon arrival. That equity would otherwise pass to one's children so they are financially worse off for the move. They're also worse off in terms of opportunity since had they been raised in Europe they could later have emigrated to Canada, they're unlikely to be able to generate the assets in Canada required to support moving the other way.

What a load of hogwash!!............... You are obviously one of the newcomers ................ when I came to Canada 40 years ago the sale of my worldly goods in the UK would not have bought for me a semi-detached ranch .. and that includes the house I was unable to have ever finished paying for.

It is only the result of the overvalued properties in the UK .. a caused by the Thatcher policies .... that allows the immigrant fro the UK to Canada today to enjoy the advantage of supposed wealth .......... My kids have had the decided advantage to enjoy and accumulate the material and cultural wealth of four decades of being Canadian Citizens ............... your posts would suggest that you enjoy being "Devils Advocate" or you have a genuine aversion to everything Canadian ....... I do hope you also have enough wealth to be able to return to the place were obviously your heart is ..... Bon Voyage!...................
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
Nice try sunshine.
You obviuosly are not familiar with the area.
Why don't you tell everyone who you really are and where you really come from.
Sometimes Google isn't your friend

OK mate, it's all a big lie, all I want to do with my life is tell everyone that I lived in Stamford Hill, actually, no it's South Tottenham. Stamford Hill doesn't start until 2 streets away. Past the Esso station, up towards Safeway going past the Lubavitch.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why would an established poster of consistent opinions suddenly pretend to be from somewhere he's not? If someone were to do such a thing why, dear God, would they pretend to be from Tottenham?
Lol, too right, it's a craphole... If I was going to pretend, maybe it would be Kensington or Hampastead
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atfab
It is only the result of the overvalued properties in the UK .. a caused by the Thatcher policies .... that allows the immigrant fro the UK to Canada today to enjoy the advantage of supposed wealth!...................
Absolute wealth, surely?

you have a genuine aversion to everything Canadian .......
Not really, I just think it America-Lite, not a place to get worked up about.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

What a load of hogwash!!............... You are obviously one of the newcomers ................ when I came to Canada 40 years ago the sale of my worldly goods in the UK would not have bought for me a semi-detached ranch .. and that includes the house I was unable to have ever finished paying for.

It is only the result of the overvalued properties in the UK .. a caused by the Thatcher policies .... that allows the immigrant fro the UK to Canada today to enjoy the advantage of supposed wealth .......... My kids have had the decided advantage to enjoy and accumulate the material and cultural wealth of four decades of being Canadian Citizens ............... your posts would suggest that you enjoy being "Devils Advocate" or you have a genuine aversion to everything Canadian ....... I do hope you also have enough wealth to be able to return to the place were obviously your heart is ..... Bon Voyage!...................
Actually 40 years ago the British economy was a minnow compared with Canada and even the likes of France and Italy.

Love or hate Maggie, she set of the chain of events that made it possible for the UK economy to roar past the competition, including Canada.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:39 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Actually 40 years ago the British economy was a minnow compared with Canada and even the likes of France and Italy.

Love or hate Maggie, she set of the chain of events that made it possible for the UK economy to roar past the competition, including Canada.
This sounds suspiciously like bollocks. Have you got any statistics to back this up?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bazzz
This sounds suspiciously like bollocks. Have you got any statistics to back this up?

I can only go on GDP per Capita, but we overtook Italy in 1994, and France about 4 years ago, we are very close to the US now.

http://www.metro.co.uk/money/article...&in_page_id=36

This was also in the BBC, so I'm assuming there is a ring of truth in it. In fact I live in Canada and run my business in the UK and notice there is a lot more wealth around in the UK than at least my part of Canada

So it may sound like bollocks but there is definitely some evidence there. You could probably google it to check
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nice try sunshine.
A-trolling will we go
A-TROLLING WILL WE GO
E-aye-addio
A-trolling we will go.

<>

Last edited by Biiiiink; Feb 3rd 2008 at 2:15 am. Reason: Profanity removed
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jonfrank123;5876007]I can only go on GDP per Capita, but we overtook Italy in 1994, and France about 4 years ago, /QUOTE]

Excuse me, but when did "we" fall behind Italy in the first place?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Nice try sunshine.
I don't know what you mean by that, but if you're thinking of posting someone's personal details, don't.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A-trolling will we go
A-TROLLING WILL WE GO
E-aye-addio
A-trolling we will go.

<>
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
I can only go on GDP per Capita, but we overtook Italy in 1994, and France about 4 years ago, we are very close to the US now.

http://www.metro.co.uk/money/article...&in_page_id=36

This was also in the BBC, so I'm assuming there is a ring of truth in it. In fact I live in Canada and run my business in the UK and notice there is a lot more wealth around in the UK than at least my part of Canada

So it may sound like bollocks but there is definitely some evidence there. You could probably google it to check

Interesting statistics!, .................. and as Ex-Pat Brit who has spent the last 40 years working and enjoying life as a Canadian I have obviously become a little detached from real life events in the UK .......... my Sister visits often and from her I learn of the dismal social woes which seem to afflict many parts of the country and she also marvels at the seemingly cheapness of goods here as opposed to the UK ... at least she always manages to go back laden.

I am a little nonplussed at the economic news ....... what is Britain's source of revenue? ....... there is little or no manufacturing base thanks to the likes of Thatcher and successive governments .......... there is no resource wealth ..... Coal being a dirty word and Oil and Gas thoroughly mismanaged ........ there is an estimated 5 million on social welfare or something akin to it ........ the "Scrounger Culture" is many times larger than it ever was ....... teenage girls are encouraged to get pregnant so that they can be rewarded with a rent free apartment ..... so what is it that brings home the Bread? ............ Perhaps it is the reviled EU that is propping up Britain's end!!.

Interesting quote from inserted article by previous poster..............

"But despite the UK overtaking the US in terms of GDP per head, it does not mean the average Briton will suddenly feel wealthier than their American counterpart.

Americans are still likely to feel richer because goods and services are cheaper in the US, meaning they have stronger purchasing power."
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:29 am
Born again atheist

<>
Biiiink old gal. "Bugger" is a term of endearment in Newcastle. "dick" is merely a play on didikai's username. Surely "off" is inoffensive?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Biiiink old gal. "Bugger" is a term of endearment in Newcastle. "dick" is merely a play on didikai's username. Surely "off" is inoffensive?
would that be bugger when we missed the goal. off you shout at the ref at a foul. dick as in whitington when he was transfered to a london team
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:36 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by smiges33
would that be bugger when we missed the goal. off you shout at the ref at a foul. dick as in whitington when he was transfered to a london team
That's very perceptive smiges.

<I think we're both going to be banned>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.