Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

I can't be bothered to read through all the silly vitriolic remarks on this thread, but since it is entitled "Why do you want to leave the UK?" rather than "Why do you want to come to Canada?", shouldn't it be moved to the Lounge or the Take It Outside forum, instead of polluting the Canada forum?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingbat
until you find out whether you can actually get into Canada, or Bahrain
Oh ffs now we're resorting to searching through each others post history.
Yes, we looked in to Bahrain/Dubai as a temporary measure whilst our SW application went through. The tax free status would have allowed us to save more money for when we got PR. Since then, I was offered 9 interviews in Alberta- and I'm expecting a couple of offers in the next couple of days.

I dont think I know better than anyone. That's the difference between me and you. I'm happy to make my own mistakes. I dont need know it alls trying to spoil the adventure.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Wow - I seem to have stirred up a wasp nest by resurrecting this thread with the post of an immigrant to the UK fleecing the UK taxpayer.
That was what my post meant to highlight - someone who had come to the UK looking for asylum, he'd been refused asylum however he was still there and had claimed *~UKP25k in benefits over around five years, even though he had over half a million in the bank. My point being that when caught he was given a slap on the wrist - and is still there, probably still not paying a penny in tax. I feel he should have been put on the first plane back to Tehran, together with his family, but the toothless authorities didn't do this. Whatver his reason for wanting asylum - he was refused, yet he stayed in the country - the same country that would not allow Mrs Snave "Indefinite leave to remain" - claiming benefits.

I didn't intend this thread to turn into a name calling brawl.
* UKP = pounds - I'm on a laptop with no numeric keypad.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Mountain Runner will become famous soon enoughMountain Runner will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I can't be bothered to read through all the silly vitriolic remarks on this thread, but since it is entitled "Why do you want to leave the UK?" rather than "Why do you want to come to Canada?", shouldn't it be moved to the Lounge or the Take It Outside forum, instead of polluting the Canada forum?
hmmm...interestingly I started a thread 'Why Canada', as an antidote to this thread, to try and get some positive response from people as to why they have chosen to emigrate to Canada, or would like to emigrate to Canada (as opposed to why do they want to leave the UK).

Oddly enough the response is much less on that thread.

I think it's the same reason that 'positive' story newspapers have never succeeded...us humans would rather listen to the bad than the good (and yes I'm generalizing, before anyone bites my head off!!!!)
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Opportunities- growing up in a decent neighbourhood, wildlife, the outdoors, skiing on our doorstep, not having to save for 10+ years just for a deposit to get on the housing ladder.
The first certainly holds for property owning British immigrants, if you sell up in the UK you can move to a better neighbourhood in Canada. The stuff about widlife and the outdoors is, in my view, romanticised nonsense, residents of say Brampton have no more access to polar bears and downhill skiing than residents of Bracknell. I don't know that getting on the housing ladder is easier in Canada than the UK, obviously it's easier in Manitoba than London but, overall, given the lower wages in Canada it's probably a wash.

I think emigrating (UK to Canada) is good for the people who do it, sell house, buy boat and snowmobile and whatnot but the benefits are probably lost by the next generation; the children of emigrants have less choices than their parents did since they can ill afford to move to Europe. I think emigrating is something one does for oneself against the interests of one's children.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
lap on the wrist - and is still there, probably still not paying a penny in tax. I feel he should have been put on the first plane back to Tehran, together with his family, but the toothless authorities didn't do this.
The Canadian authorities are certainly better at sending people off to be tortured in the Middle East though I've never thought of that as a desirable attribute before.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mountain Runner
hmmm...interestingly I started a thread 'Why Canada', as an antidote to this thread, to try and get some positive response from people as to why they have chosen to emigrate to Canada, or would like to emigrate to Canada (as opposed to why do they want to leave the UK).

Oddly enough the response is much less on that thread.
Relative lack of response to your other thread doesn't surprise me. There's really no way of predicting where some will choose to vent their bile about all the tedious crap that you can find in this thread. It's a sort of herd instinct.

But usually these people have no positive reasons (except myths) for moving from the UK to anywhere else in particular, so a title like this thread's is easier for them to deal with without having to invoke conscious thought processes.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:31 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The first certainly holds for property owning British immigrants, if you sell up in the UK you can move to a better neighbourhood in Canada. The stuff about widlife and the outdoors is, in my view, romanticised nonsense, residents of say Brampton have no more access to polar bears and downhill skiing than residents of Bracknell. I don't know that getting on the housing ladder is easier in Canada than the UK, obviously it's easier in Manitoba than London but, overall, given the lower wages in Canada it's probably a wash.

I think emigrating (UK to Canada) is good for the people who do it, sell house, buy boat and snowmobile and whatnot but the benefits are probably lost by the next generation; the children of emigrants have less choices than their parents did since they can ill afford to move to Europe. I think emigrating is something one does for oneself against the interests of one's children.
Oh ddddd,dear this thread has gone awry.

"emigrating is something one does for oneself against the interests of one's children"...

That is sure to stir up positive feedback and rather a strange statement to make.

Surely the only people who know what is in their childrens interests are the people in the family. Before we launch on a crusade about parenting and the selfishness of parents I want to point out there is no blueprint or manual (that works in all cases) about how to bring up your kids we all just try the best we can with the knowledge and experience we have as children growing up, and adults who watched others parent their children. We have two daughters and they have completely different personalities, what works with one causes mayhem with the other.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
"emigrating is something one does for oneself against the interests of one's children"...

That is sure to stir up positive feedback and rather a strange statement to make.
To expand on that a little, I think emigrating from the UK to Canada is about cashing in one's household equity so as to be able to acquire more stuff upon arrival. That equity would otherwise pass to one's children so they are financially worse off for the move. They're also worse off in terms of opportunity since had they been raised in Europe they could later have emigrated to Canada, they're unlikely to be able to generate the assets in Canada required to support moving the other way.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:40 pm
Born again atheist

We have two daughters and they have completely different personalities, what works with one causes mayhem with the other.
How unusual! I'd recommend shipping the bolshy one off to somewhere more challenging. Perhaps Dubai?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:43 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian authorities are certainly better at sending people off to be tortured in the Middle East though I've never thought of that as a desirable attribute before.
And you dont think the UK participated in "extraordinary rendition" in anyway, shape or form?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:43 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How unusual! I'd recommend shipping the bolshy one off to somewhere more challenging. Perhaps Dubai?
Or even back to the UK! What a masterpiece of an idea
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

To expand on that a little, I think emigrating from the UK to Canada is about cashing in one's household equity so as to be able to acquire more stuff upon arrival. That equity would otherwise pass to one's children so they are financially worse off for the move. They're also worse off in terms of opportunity since had they been raised in Europe they could later have emigrated to Canada, they're unlikely to be able to generate the assets in Canada required to support moving the other way.

i have no equity, i rent my house. I have 2 vans and a car, not much savings,but earn £20ph at moment.
so is your above comment valid??

Last edited by englishintruder; Jan 27th 2008 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

And you dont think the UK participated in "extraordinary rendition" in anyway, shape or form?
Of course. I don't see the treatment of citizens by the authorities or the administration of refugee claims as being significantly different between the countries; both Canada and the UK are beholden to the US on these issues and it's hairsplitting to find differences.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by englishintruder
i have no equity, i rent my house. I have 2 vans and a car, not much savings,but earn £20ph at moment.
so your is your above comment valid??

I thought you just wanted to get away from the immigrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.