Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:21 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
Sorry - had to point out, after you pointed out the spelling in the post above, that you seemed to have missed a word or two in your paragraph?

"I just want people contemplating a move to this country,(?to know??) it's not all smiles and "have a good day".

Sorry - I just thought it was a bit pot and kettle! , but meant in a humorous way!

N
Thanxs fer sppoting tht, NatsnSid, butt at leest my spellin wos korekt!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:58 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oldbag
I work in Stratford, Ontario in a very large office where I see miserable Canadians trudging in, every day, clutching their cup of Timmy's. I just want people contemplating a move to this country, it's not all smiles and "have a good day". And yes, there is a "samaritan" law....doesn't mean people abide by it. There's also a law against theft and murder..........need I say more.

Hint..........use spellcheck, it'll make it easier to unravel what you're trying to say.

I guess stratford is one of the more run down and deprived areas then. I have driven through a couple while in Toronto, i dont remember the place names. But generally, like for like areas, Van compared to London seemed a nicer place to live.

What do you think the reason Vancouver consistently scores so high in surveys like this? http://www.mercer.com/referenceconte...ontent=1128060
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marclouis
I guess stratford is one of the more run down and deprived areas then. I have driven through a couple while in Toronto, i dont remember the place names. But generally, like for like areas, Van compared to London seemed a nicer place to live.

What do you think the reason Vancouver consistently scores so high in surveys like this? http://www.mercer.com/referenceconte...ontent=1128060

I think these surveys can be taken with a pinch of salt!! I've not been to Vancouver but am absolutely bemused how Toronto can score higher than Montreal in liveability and quality of life

In terms of London and Vancouver, it's an unfair comparison, how can a 2000 year old city of up to 12 million at the centre of world trade be compared to a brand new (relatively) city almost in the middle of nowhere geographically (I don't mean that in a nasty way)
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess stratford is one of the more run down and deprived areas then. I have driven through a couple while in Toronto, i dont remember the place names.
No. It's a physically attractive small town on a river some sixty miles west of Toronto and is famous for the annual theatre festival. You're probably thinking of Leaside.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

I guess stratford is one of the more run down and deprived areas then. I have driven through a couple while in Toronto, i dont remember the place names. http://www.mercer.com/referenceconte...ontent=1128060
I agree with DBD33 - Stratford is an attractive town. We have visited several times as my father was born and grew up there. If we had decided to move to Ontario then Stratford would have been pretty high on our list.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:40 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you assume Stratford is one of the "more run down areas". It isn't - in fact it is an attractive town which attracts thousands of tourists, particularly during the Shakespeare Festival, for which it is famous. Like all towns and cities there is a seedier area, but I doubt if this would have been the one you drove through - if you did in fact drive through it, as you yourself have some doubt about even that - as it is well off the main highway which runs through the centre.

I was not so much commenting on towns and places in Canada, but on the people's attitudes.................they are no more happy and smiley than elsewhere, and this Samaritan law you mentioned doesn't carry a whole lot of weight.

If you can't remember place names on your drives through, I'd be careful about making disparaging remarks........if you must do so, then don't put names to them!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oldbag
Thanxs fer sppoting tht, NatsnSid, butt at leest my spellin wos korekt!

N
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Mountain Runner will become famous soon enoughMountain Runner will become famous soon enough

As someone who does want to emigrate from the UK at some point, I have been reading this thread with some interest. Here's my thoughts (for whatever they're worth):

I agree with the person who said that moving to Canada should be more about the attraction of Canada rather than the negativity of the UK.

I think people are being far too rosie-eyed about Canada (or lets face it anywhere but the UK!). There is violence all over the world not just the UK and I think that is generally (perceived) to be on the increase everywhere. Don't underestimate the role the media has in all this. There have always been kids hanging round the UK in groups being a nuisance and committing crime. I remember being moved on as a punk over 20 years ago. Mods and rockers fought, punks and skins fought, now it's whoever the gangs are. I agree that youngsters have less respect than they used to but I'm not convinced that's a UK thing. What's the difference here in the UK? The trouble is that this is a small place and so it feels more concentrated.

I really resent the people who have said that it's just scum that remain in England. I have two teenage girls that don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't swear at me and are really nice girls. They aren't alone either. There's loads of them around. Again, you're just picking up on the extreme stories in the press.

I live in a 'nice ' place in northern England. There's barely any graffiti, crime is low (front page news when some trees in the park were vandalised!) and I don't have any worries walking about at night. How many of you who have a problem in England live in cities? Well, I'm sorry but cities the world over are plagued by violence.

As for miserable faces in London, well that's London. I wouldn't live 'down south' if you paid me (and I could earn loads more money down there) because I find southerners (and especially Londoners) rude and miserable. Here in rainy Yorkshire people are a bit more friendly and bit more happy. A better quality of life.

So why do I want to emigrate? Because of the outdoors. Skiing, mountain biking, whitewater rafting and just miles and miles of space!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mountain Runner
As someone who does want to emigrate from the UK at some point, I have been reading this thread with some interest. Here's my thoughts (for whatever they're worth):

I agree with the person who said that moving to Canada should be more about the attraction of Canada rather than the negativity of the UK.

I think people are being far too rosie-eyed about Canada (or lets face it anywhere but the UK!). There is violence all over the world not just the UK and I think that is generally (perceived) to be on the increase everywhere. Don't underestimate the role the media has in all this. There have always been kids hanging round the UK in groups being a nuisance and committing crime. I remember being moved on as a punk over 20 years ago. Mods and rockers fought, punks and skins fought, now it's whoever the gangs are. I agree that youngsters have less respect than they used to but I'm not convinced that's a UK thing. What's the difference here in the UK? The trouble is that this is a small place and so it feels more concentrated.

I really resent the people who have said that it's just scum that remain in England. I have two teenage girls that don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't swear at me and are really nice girls. They aren't alone either. There's loads of them around. Again, you're just picking up on the extreme stories in the press.

I live in a 'nice ' place in northern England. There's barely any graffiti, crime is low (front page news when some trees in the park were vandalised!) and I don't have any worries walking about at night. How many of you who have a problem in England live in cities? Well, I'm sorry but cities the world over are plagued by violence.

As for miserable faces in London, well that's London. I wouldn't live 'down south' if you paid me (and I could earn loads more money down there) because I find southerners (and especially Londoners) rude and miserable. Here in rainy Yorkshire people are a bit more friendly and bit more happy. A better quality of life.

So why do I want to emigrate? Because of the outdoors. Skiing, mountain biking, whitewater rafting and just miles and miles of space!
Excuse me some of us live down south work in London and are not miserable does that prove it we are also slightly mad that helps
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
does that prove we are also slightly mad
Yes.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mountain Runner

hear hear!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

I keep reading the title of this thread and i just have to say it, been stopping myself for days...

Because it is a S***hole!!!

There you go i feel better. We moved over here for the quality of life, and we are thoroughly enjoying it.

Chris
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:24 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

If I had come from Brentwood, I might agree with you. The whole of the UK is not a shit-hole, far from it.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
If I had come from Brentwood, I might agree with you. The whole of the UK is not a s***hole, far from it.
Hey!! I haven't followed this thread recently but I moved away from Brentwood in 2004 and it certainly wasn't a, quote "s***hole" then. Whatever cneldred thinks!

In the right circumstances I'd move back there in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Hey!! I haven't followed this thread recently but I moved away from Brentwood in 2004 and it certainly wasn't a, quote "s***hole" then. Whatever cneldred thinks!

In the right circumstances I'd move back there in a heartbeat.
There are lots of great people and lovely places in the UK North and South, there are dumps in the North and Dumps in the South same goes for miserable people, no two people are the same and no two places are the same or peoples experiences, It is the same in Canada, you have to make the best choices for yourself and your family,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.