Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by manghams
We left Bradford to give our kids a better life; only been here 5 weeks, but so far, everyone is friendly, there appears to be far less stress, traffic, and much much more space.

Banks, schools, lawyers have all been more than helpful and people seem open to our strange ways.

My 16 yr old has been at school 2 weeks and has made new friends who are happy to go the extra mile to help him out, picking him up, helping him settle in.

However, so far, other than relatives all our new friends are ex-pats, and not necessarily through this site.

We haven't experienced any of the yob culture we left behind - we even decided to drive down town Windsor at 11.30pm New Years Eve to check it out - Horror - orderly queues!! Nobody rolling around the street, or yelling across the road, or being sick - nothing like Bradford or Bingley at the time on a average Friday or Saturday night.

I feel safer, if not more conspicuous, but not alienated.

We went into the Mall Friday pm, masses of teenagers, but security were not moving them out, they were well behaved, not intimidating and polite, nobody pushed, they even opened doors for us!
I appreciate that down town Toronto may not be at safe, but we didnt choose Toronto for that reason.

We are close to US border for shopping etc., but comfortably within the gentler Canadian society. Things are looking good.
Nice to hear you're doing fine!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
As I come from Tameside in Greater Manchester, this is exactly the kind of "reality thread" that hits home to me and makes me think whether what I'm going through really is homesickness or just a case of missing my memories of long gone! I left Hyde for Red Deer in 2003
I grew up in Disley and have relatives in Hawk Green, Hayfield, New Mills and Dukinfield. I was in Hyde in summer 2006 and parts of it looked rathy dodgy. Loads of kids just milling about looking like they were up to no good. Parts of Werneth Low looked quite nice although getting up to some of the houses near the top of the hill isn't the easiest.

I think you have make the right choice.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Personally I don't think Canada should let any more Brits in, I hear they're all chavs and scumbags.
All the good brits have emigrated....all that is left are the chavs/scumbags and n'er do wells.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cneldred
got back visit for a fortnight that will sort your head out....there is a huge exodus of British citizens for one reason, the country is going down the toilet...FAST. No respect, no community spirit, over priced, under policed, drunken teenagers causing trouble everywhere at the weekends, need i go on.

Chris

That's how I felt when I visited a couple of years ago! I was all set to go back but then picked up on what you're saying and didn't like the place at all, doesn't feel like the Britain I used to know and I've only been gone 10yrs. Just seemed like a completely different place and quite violent, and I couldn't wait to leave and come back to NZ.

But now I want to go to Canada, lol.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:33 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking at the UK with fresh eyes after a year in Canada and I see lots of reasons not to move back there.

Can the last person out turn off the lights.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agr
I agree about Cheese Whizz, never had to resort to KDs. But, honestly, tiger ice cream is something I would travel halfway around the world for.
blimey, now I just HAVE to try this 'tiger ice cream.' Hag N Daz will always be my true love...do they have that in Canada?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
For me it's the chavs

What is this new phenomenom known as "chavs"?? I've only been gone 10yrs but I didn't hear that word used 10yrs ago....do you mean scum bags?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy

I read a report recently that the UK was not even in the top 40 of county's education acheivers,

That's shocking!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lucyspoon
UK is becoming so violent, and people just dont seem to care anymore.

Yeah, that was the most heartbreaking thing for me to see, the people just don't seem to care anymore. It's not the England I used to know.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:58 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
What is this new phenomenom known as "chavs"?? I've only been gone 10yrs but I didn't hear that word used 10yrs ago....do you mean scum bags?
Here are a few examples.

Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Protest groups organised when a local coucil refused planning permission for a mosque...so the council overturned it...let them knock down the Christian church and replace it with the mosque.
[/B][/I]

That's disgusting!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Danny B
Here are a few examples.

Urgh yuck, the visuals are worse than the imagination. I know who you mean now, they used to be called 'scum.' What's with the "chavs" what does that mean?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Scumbags indeed....hoodies, little baseball caps, trackers tucked into their socks, some of them will wear scarfs around their faces too showing only their eyes.....they usually congrigate in numbers outside off-licences or on corners. Some of them are absolutely harmless and are just kids "hanging around" but the ones we used to deal with were little b*st*rds, cocky foul mouths and "I'm hard and I know it" exterior!! They are getting worse, mainly due to the fact that they know they're untouchable because they're "just kids" and the law can't do much.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:07 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
they know they're untouchable because they're "just kids" and the law can't do much.
Can't and sometimes won't.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Can't and sometimes won't.
I agree.....they just have too much paperwork and hundreds of calls complaining of "chavs" to deal with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.