Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:19 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
It isn't that bad. Violent crime is recorded differently to other European countries. A drunken punch up in a pub is in the same category as a near attempted murder. Not the same thing I would say

I mean statistically speaking there were 750 murders in the UK last year and 20,000 in the USA, even cutting that by a fifth to compensate for a lower population, means you are6 times more likely to be murdered in the USA
But the stats prove that you are more likely to be burgled or robbed in the UK than in the States.Also rape and brutal assualt is more common in the UK than here in America.

I agree with you that the murder rate is higher here because guns are more available.Guns are not as easily purchased in the UK which probably explain why Knives are the weapon of choice.

Our criminals are cowards they don't want to be so agressive as to do hand to hand combat with their victims.Uk criminals obviously are far more agressive if they are bold enough to fight with knives.That mentality would worry me more.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
It isn't that bad. Violent crime is recorded differently to other European countries. A drunken punch up in a pub is in the same category as a near attempted murder. Not the same thing I would say
I can confirm this. The government likes to have figures for crime presented in such a way so that they can manipulate the figures to suit whatever aim they want to achieve this month.

Take for instance a collision between two vehicles, one of which was doing 5 mph over the limit when someone pulls out of a side road without looking. The Police have to record it as speed-related caused by the first car yet most ppl would say the second car was at fault for not checking for traffic. The government's point of view would be that if the first car was going at the legal speed limit, they'd have had more time to react and avoid the collision.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Feb 3rd 2008 at 7:51 pm. Reason: Space Bar not playing nice
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:29 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who used to work in the Civil Service, albeit many years ago, I can vouch for the fact that statistics are manipulated. I used to do the monthly stats for the Department of Employment Job Centres.........and they were always "fiddled" by someone more senior than me!
This is why I rarely trust statistics, particularly those isssued by any government..........they can be made to reflect whatever position is necessary at the time.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:31 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
But the stats prove that you are more likely to be burgled or robbed in the UK than in the States.Also rape and brutal assualt is more common in the UK than here in America.

I agree with you that the murder rate is higher here because guns are more available.Guns are not as easily purchased in the UK which probably explain why Knives are the weapon of choice.

Our criminals are cowards they don't want to be so agressive as to do hand to hand combat with their victims.Uk criminals obviously are far more agressive if they are bold enough to fight with knives.That mentality would worry me more.
Nationmaster seems to be letting itself get a bit out of date (which is a shame because it was a great site), but this seems to indicate that rapes & assaults were more prevalent in the US.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...pes-per-capita

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...lts-per-capita
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
As someone who used to work in the Civil Service, albeit many years ago, I can vouch for the fact that statistics are manipulated.
As a UK civil servant of over 30 years (including time in a job centre) I agree. I have a mate in the Fraud department. They meet their targets of X number of successfully prevented cases by concentrating on the more easily provable - the undeclared two week xmas job, for example, that only involved a couple of weeks worth of benefit - rather than the ongoing stuff that costs the country far more.

Then the 'saving' claimed is multiplied as if the real saving was more than just those two weeks. So numbers of successful cases are exaggerated, followed by inflating the actual cash savings.

I imagine there's just as much room, if not more, for manipulation of crime stats.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice

Not really, I just think it America-Lite, not a place to get worked up
about.[/QUOTE]

This statement truly typifies you ..... and begs the question .... Why in the name of heaven are you here in the first place? ............. With your 11000+ posts you must spend an inordinate amount of time in front of a computer screen .... after work that is! ........ and it is surprising that you have the time at all to form any accurate assessment of life as it really is in Canada.

However I wish you well and hope that you will eventually find some peace of mind and as our much maligned American Cousins would say "Don't let the Door slap your A... on the way out"
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atfab
This statement truly typifies you ..... and begs the question .... Why in the name of heaven are you here in the first place?
"Invites" rather than "begs", innit?

It was expedient to move abroad and I wanted to go somewhere that French was spoken.

............. With your 11000+ posts you must spend an inordinate amount of time in front of a computer screen .... after work that is! ........
At work. I don't touch a computer unless someone is paying for the time.

and it is surprising that you have the time at all to form any accurate assessment of life as it really is in Canada
I know Toronto. Toronto may not be Canada but I know it well.

I've lived in a fashionable suburb, an unfashionable one, downtown and a long commute away. I've worked for many companies in and around the GTA. I've twice been banned from Scotland Yard once from Mickey Finn's. Spent a night in St. Mikes, one in TEGH and one at 52 division. I've had sex in the CN tower, the Monoxide Towers (with several people though not at once) and the art deco water filtration plant. I was a regular at the Cafe Brussel and the Q club, still am at La Maquette. I once came third in the $20 admission 10reds Sunday snooker competition in the place opposite the Brass Rail (where the famous shootings happen). I tried to bail someone out of the Don jail but they'd lost track of him in the system. I've spat on Jack Layton and participated in a Don River clean up. I've seen someone in public shot, shooting up, having gay sex. I've been to maybe a hundred ice hockey games at Moss Park (hence watching the ugliness while smoking outside) very many more at MLG and the Hershey Centre. I purchased a carton of Marlboro a week for twenty years in Toronto, all of them smuggled. I have two Ontario and one Canada corporations. I've played in softball and soccer leagues in the city (by twist of fate the Scotland Yard softball team's bats are in the garage now solely owned by ex). Oh yes, I've been divorced in Toronto, sued in Toronto, fined for traffic offences in Toronto. I've attended fifteen year's worth of ballet recitals in suburban Toronto. I've taken an obviously mentally disabled child to umpteen restaurants in Toronto and attended countless "what to do with her" meetings with the school board. I've been fired in Toronto and won a claim for unfair dismissal. I'm a member of a yacht club in Toronto, sometimes I sail. I'm a sponsor of tall ship sailing in Toronto by dint of one my children being a tallship sailor. The other sentinent one is a lifeguard so I've fetched and carried her to most of the city's pools, I learned a lot from that; who knew there's a city pool with a metal detector "is that a gun in your trunks or..."

What you done?

However I wish you well and hope that you will eventually find some peace of mind and as our much maligned American Cousins would say "Don't let the Door slap your A... on the way out"
Even my fabulous arse doesn't deserve capitalization hon.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice

[QUOTE=dbd33;5880371]"Invites" rather than "begs", innit?

What you done?

I see through you Cocky!!.............................
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

It was expedient to move abroad and I wanted to go somewhere that French was spoken.

At work. I don't touch a computer unless someone is paying for the time.

I know Toronto. Toronto may not be Canada but I know it well.

I've lived in a fashionable suburb, an unfashionable one, downtown and a long commute away. I've worked for many companies in and around the GTA. I've twice been banned from Scotland Yard once from Mickey Finn's. Spent a night in St. Mikes, one in TEGH and one at 52 division. I've had sex in the CN tower, the Monoxide Towers (with several people though not at once) and the art deco water filtration plant. I was a regular at the Cafe Brussel and the Q club, still am at La Maquette. I once came third in the $20 admission 10reds Sunday snooker competition in the place opposite the Brass Rail (where the famous shootings happen). I tried to bail someone out of the Don jail but they'd lost track of him in the system. I've spat on Jack Layton and participated in a Don River clean up. I've seen someone in public shot, shooting up, having gay sex. I've been to maybe a hundred ice hockey games at Moss Park (hence watching the ugliness while smoking outside) very many more at MLG and the Hershey Centre. I purchased a carton of Marlboro a week for twenty years in Toronto, all of them smuggled. I have two Ontario and one Canada corporations. I've played in softball and soccer leagues in the city (by twist of fate the Scotland Yard softball team's bats are in the garage now solely owned by ex). Oh yes, I've been divorced in Toronto, sued in Toronto, fined for traffic offences in Toronto. I've attended fifteen year's worth of ballet recitals in suburban Toronto. I've taken an obviously mentally disabled child to umpteen restaurants in Toronto and attended countless "what to do with her" meetings with the school board. I've been fired in Toronto and won a claim for unfair dismissal. I'm a member of a yacht club in Toronto, sometimes I sail. I'm a sponsor of tall ship sailing in Toronto by dint of one my children being a tallship sailor. The other sentinent one is a lifeguard so I've fetched and carried her to most of the city's pools, I learned a lot from that; who knew there's a city pool with a metal detector "is that a gun in your trunks or..."

What you done?

Even my fabulous arse doesn't deserve capitalization hon.
Nice one. Remember rule #10 of the lamented "Frequently Answered Questions" thread?

atfab should do a search on that.

Oh, but I do think your derriere is capital.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=atfab;5880420]
Originally Posted by dbd33

What you done?

I see through you Cocky!!.............................

Eh?

I thought maybe you'd been in Canada for a while and were losing your English.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Nice one. Remember rule #10 of the lamented "Frequently Answered Questions" thread?
Afraid not, head like a sieve.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a burglar in the USA I'd be sh*t scared the owner was going to plug me with their gun. Not too many folks in the UK keep a Smith & Wesson under the pillow, hence the higher rate of burglaries.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Oh, but I do think your derriere is capital.

Sorry Old Mate! .................... I am going to have to take your word for that!!......................
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:50 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd rather be robbed, burgled and raped than murdered. But then, I don't believe in little baby jesus, so I try to avoid dying as much as possible.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

Heard the latest taxation.
Lorry drivers are to get a fine of £200 if they drive through London and there emmisions are to high on there lorry.
Later it will be used in other cities in and around the UK and be expanded to include Buses, Coaches, Taxis and Van drivers.
So ill scrap my van because it has to much emission only to be scrapped and melted down which would cause more emissions to be sold to the far east causing even more emisions getting there
Crazy British do gooders :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.