Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's very perceptive smiges.

<I think we're both going to be banned>
nah havent been shown the yellow card yet.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Biiiink old gal. "Bugger" is a term of endearment in Newcastle. "dick" is merely a play on didikai's username. Surely "off" is inoffensive?
Silly me. When you put it like that...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Good on you. I am proud and happy to be moderate with such an enlightened moderator.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
skating on thin ice comes to mind Nov. very thin ice.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smiges33
skating on thin ice comes to mind Nov. very thin ice.
We're OK. This is Canada. In February. Thin ice? I wish!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

We're OK. This is Canada. In February. Thin ice? I wish!
alright for some im still in germany and not any ice at all here
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atfab
Interesting statistics!, .................. and as Ex-Pat Brit who has spent the last 40 years working and enjoying life as a Canadian I have obviously become a little detached from real life events in the UK .......... my Sister visits often and from her I learn of the dismal social woes which seem to afflict many parts of the country and she also marvels at the seemingly cheapness of goods here as opposed to the UK ... at least she always manages to go back laden.

I am a little nonplussed at the economic news ....... what is Britain's source of revenue? ....... there is little or no manufacturing base thanks to the likes of Thatcher and successive governments .......... there is no resource wealth ..... Coal being a dirty word and Oil and Gas thoroughly mismanaged ........ there is an estimated 5 million on social welfare or something akin to it ........ the "Scrounger Culture" is many times larger than it ever was ....... teenage girls are encouraged to get pregnant so that they can be rewarded with a rent free apartment ..... so what is it that brings home the Bread? ............ Perhaps it is the reviled EU that is propping up Britain's end!!.

Interesting quote from inserted article by previous poster..............

"But despite the UK overtaking the US in terms of GDP per head, it does not mean the average Briton will suddenly feel wealthier than their American counterpart.

Americans are still likely to feel richer because goods and services are cheaper in the US, meaning they have stronger purchasing power."
Service industry earns a lot more than manufacturing stuff.

The Chief of IBM was being interviewed a few years back, and they asked him why they sold off all their PC manufacturing to China.

Replied " WE can earn 20$ on making a laptop or charge out 300$ per hour for consultancy"

That has what has happened to Britain, Insurance, Finance, Advertising, has taken over the old industry's and pays much better. The City of London is the worlds leading finance centre etc

Canada makes it's money by digging stuff out of the ground and selling it, mainly to the Americans, totally different to the UK
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Service industry earns a lot more than manufacturing stuff.

The Chief of IBM was being interviewed a few years back, and they asked him why they sold off all their PC manufacturing to China.

Replied " WE can earn 20$ on making a laptop or charge out 300$ per hour for consultancy"

That has what has happened to Britain, Insurance, Finance, Advertising, has taken over the old industry's and pays much better. The City of London is the worlds leading finance centre etc

Canada makes it's money by digging stuff out of the ground and selling it, mainly to the Americans, totally different to the UK
best hope there is not a downward flow in finance then
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:06 am
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

A-trolling will we go
A-TROLLING WILL WE GO
E-aye-addio
A-trolling we will go.

<>
Simply no challenge here.
Every bulletin board is the same.
There's half a dozen people who post opinions on everything. They back each other up with lot's of 'Right on!

You can never get a decent discussion going, as the minute you make a point they can't answer you are a 'moron' or an 'idiot'

I try to participate on subjects that interest me, but once the 'clique' start the personal attacks I resort to playing with their heads.

It's not trolling, it's just being bored and retaliating to a bunch of shut ins.

I've finished my project on the computer, so I don't need to fill in time any more.
I'll probably be back when I'm stuck on this keyboard for days again.

No Mrs Moderator I would never post anyones personal details, but I could if I wanted to. So don't threaten me
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

No Mrs Moderator I would never post anyones personal details, but I could if I wanted to. So don't threaten me[/QUOTE]

meeeooh. oooh cats claws are out.

a challenge i like a challenge
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:13 am
Born again atheist

No Mrs Moderator I would never post anyones personal details, but I could if I wanted to. So don't threaten me

a challenge i like a challenge[/QUOTE]

Given that didikai offered to vacate the board, at least for a while, I'll unsubcribe from this thread.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

a challenge i like a challenge
Given that didikai offered to vacate the board, at least for a while, I'll unsubcribe from this thread.[/QUOTE]

thought the title was why do you want to leave the uk not why do you want to leave the thread
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:05 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyspoon
MY oh has lived within a mile of where he was born for 45 yrs - Cheltenham Spa in the Cotswolds - and very pleasant it used to be. I have been here for 10 years and in that time the place has just gone downwards. The icing on the cake that made us make the decision to leave was him walking home from our local at around 23.30hrs one summer eve and 5 youngsters aged aroun 13-15 passed him on pushbikes and hurled abuse at him - stupidly he replied ' what did you say? ' and they cam back tohim, surrounded him, asked him for a fight and all pulled screwdrivers on him and went to stab him..... he is 2nd Dan in Karate and decided that he would be better off leaving quick - so he pushed then and ran. The sad thing is we did not go to the police as they do nothing around here - and he felt so angry and humiliated but these kids thought they were supehuman and truly did not give a toss. He said theyseemed to be drugged out of their heads!

We do not go out late at night, especially into Town, we are alarmed and double locked at home and we have still had break-ins and thefts.
UK is becoming so violent, and people just dont seem to care anymore.
That is scary.I've read statistics that show the UK percentage per population has more crime than here in America.The stats also show the UK has more violent crime than the other western European countries.How did things get so bad there? Aren't the laws tough on crime in the uk?

Maybe they need capital punishment like here in the States.Sounds like the mentality is darn near similar to the old wild west seen in old B -movies were people are commiting crimes against one another knowing the law can't police the communities.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

best hope there is not a downward flow in finance then
Also best hope there isn't a downward flow in oil prices for Canada either
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
That is scary.I've read statistics that show the UK percentage per population has more crime than here in America.The stats also show the UK has more violent crime than the other western European countries.How did things get so bad there? Aren't the laws tough on crime in the uk?

Maybe they need capital punishment like here in the States.Sounds like the mentality is darn near similar to the old wild west seen in old B -movies were people are commiting crimes against one another knowing the law can't police the communities.

It isn't that bad. Violent crime is recorded differently to other European countries. A drunken punch up in a pub is in the same category as a near attempted murder. Not the same thing I would say

I mean statistically speaking there were 750 murders in the UK last year and 20,000 in the USA, even cutting that by a fifth to compensate for a lower population, means you are6 times more likely to be murdered in the USA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.