Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Why do you want to leave the UK?

Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:48 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by cneldred
got back visit for a fortnight that will sort your head out....there is a huge exodus of British citizens for one reason, the country is going down the toilet...FAST. No respect, no community spirit, over priced, under policed, drunken teenagers causing trouble everywhere at the weekends, need i go on.

Chris
No, you needn't ... how is The Daily Mail these days?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:08 am
Just Joined

mawb66 is an unknown quantity at this point

My initial push was because I lived in a poor area and although the neighbours were good,there were lots of incidents, including a nearby attempted stabbing.
I've now moved to a better area and house , but in general probelms still remain
I see immigrants legal and illegal nearly everyday and mostly from Africa. I don't blame them for wanting a better life, but sometimes I do feel swamped!
There is a feeling of "It's not my country anymore" and a lot of that could be to do with age. I also moved because if my kid went to the local school, then he'd not only be the (white) ethnic minority but probably be overlooked as the teachers try to help those whose first language is not English.
Prices of housing and food and fuel are far too expensive.
I teach and have learnt first hand that respect is something the kids don't give adults anymore.
Education has been dumbed down, I can't even fail them, just put them up for re-takes!
Also the roads and the Uk in general is far too crowded, our population density has been greatly increased in the last decade and as more housing is needed, then the coutryside will be taken over.
Politaclly I'm sick of the UK towing the US line and admire the Canandian Govet for not seding loads into Iraq. Shame about Afganistan tho'.
I do worry about the Canadian oil situation and the fight for Artic oil, but hope that can be resloved peacfully. I know Canada has its' problems too - drugs and gangs but when I visited I saw less graffiti and more respect.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

aroncai is an unknown quantity at this point

The great shame with the UK is that the vast majority are fine and good people, its the minority of rubbish that don't give a damn who now seem to have the upper hand. The Governments solution to any social/crime issues is to throw money at it, a recovering/non recovering drug addict or criminal will find far more Government funding than any industrious person having been made redundant.
As for immigration i havent a problem with those entering the country to fill jobs that Brits dont want but i do have a problem with those entering who slipped through the net with no checks, many being criminals. Entry into Canada seems far more difficult than the uncontrolled open door policy in the Uk.
The Uk seems to be creeping towards lawless society, the only persons not concerned are those employed within the industry for dealing with it.
If it continues down this road within ten years it will reach the same same stage as that of present day South Africa.
Add to that the terrible weather, the dilution of the education system, the armed forces/national security and mutual respect for one another and ones Country and there's not much left to stay for.
In its defense you will probably be better off financially should you stay in the UK. If i ever do leave this Country it will be a very sad day for me but a better future for my familly

aroncai
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I commuted to Cheltenham for work for over 8yrs - lived in various small villages near Evesham. Worked in Montpellier Walk, Imperial Square, Crescent Place and in Whittington too. Lots of good memories of that area.
Anything to do with the lovely Cotswold Country pubs

I'm a Cheltenham girl & the changes are unbelievable. People have this idea that it's this affluent regency spa town - which granted parts are.

My Dad a few years ago had some 'hoodies' try to grab a bag off him in broad daylight in Cheltenham town centre - my parents are keen to follow us to Canada & i'm glad they want to.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:54 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting to see that, once again, a perfectly innocent question can provoke such hostility and rudeness.......the very things that many of you say you want to escape!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
It's interesting to see that, once again, a perfectly innocent question can provoke such hostility and rudeness.......the very things that many of you say you want to escape!
On the surface a perfectly innocent question, Yes, but that is hardly the case and thus the reactions, at least by a few, are entirely predictable. It is not realistic to presume that a thread of this nature will generate comments which are placid and laid back. Of course there will be passion. For example when a member of ones family has been a victim of violence, or a potential victim, one can hardly expect posters to report on it as if it were a Sunday afternoon picnic.

What I find depressing are the comments on the level of violence prevalent in the UK and the lack of respect for the young towards their elders.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:34 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
On the surface a perfectly innocent question, Yes, but that is hardly the case and thus the reactions, at least by a few, are entirely predictable. It is not realistic to presume that a thread of this nature will generate comments which are placid and laid back. Of course there will be passion. For example when a member of ones family has been a victim of violence, or a potential victim, one can hardly expect posters to report on it as if it were a Sunday afternoon picnic.

What I find depressing are the comments on the level of violence prevalent in the UK and the lack of respect for the young towards their elders.

I totally agree with you, but I was commenting on the personal attacks made by posters to each other. It seems to me there is often a lack of respect for each other's opinions on this forum, and it degenerates into a free for all. I'm reading the thread because, I too, am struggling with the notion of going back......I don't want to have wade through all the silly crap that some people feel they just have to contribute.

I left the UK for many of the reasons cited; I was also a victim of house burglary, my daughter was attacked and bullied, I have been threatened and spat on by kids in the street..........and no, I don't expect any of it to be treated like a Sunday picnic........but come on, people, show a little respect for each other and stop behaving like the thugs on the street you so desperately want to escape from! If you're wondering why, after all I've said, I'm think of going back, you'd have to go to MBTTUK because I don't want to repeat myself.
Internet forums make it very easy for people to behave as badly and rudely as they want without fear of repercussion or physical retaliation.............shame.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am moving 'home' I guess, which is a slightly different stance on most people here.

However, having not been in Canada since I was 5 (apart from holidays), I am seizing a chance to go.

I decided at the start of 2007 that if I weren't married or doing exceeding well competing my horses, I'd look to move away from the UK. I gave myself 12 months, and I am now horse-less and man-less and so taking the opportunity to move.

I am not running away from the UK, I have a good job, a house, car, circle of friends etc, and lifestyle I quite enjoy.

I do however have an adventure streak, which means I have the chance and ability to do something different, and know that if things aren't as I want them after trying to live in canada for a while, I can come back!

I am excited about this year, and hope to be 'up and running' in Canada by about summer / fall of this year!

As for the politics / economics - I am not well up on the Canadian side to make too much of a statement, but I loathe the current UK government, and the seeming decline into thuggary of all children, and parents who really don't care.

Anyway - nothing too personal - just a fantastic chance to see life from another angle - we only get once chance at it, and should make the most of it!

Bandit!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:16 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oldbag
It seems to me there is often a lack of respect for each other's opinions on this forum
This is because a lot of people have really stupid opinions.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Re: Why do you want to leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Danny B
There is no difference in EU Migrants coming to the UK for a better life than you going to Canada for a better life.
Oh but there is! At least in Canada you are vetted and have to come and support yourself.

As the majority of the EU are allowed in without question now - we have all and sundry coming over. They are not vetted, the majority can't finance themselves and they don't know squat about English culture. So going to the local fishery nicking the Carp (which is a delicacy in Poland) and stealing it/eating it (we don't fish to keep over here) and GUTTING OF LIVESTOCK in an open field, leaving the entrails and taking home the meat is a frequent occurance near me! (5 cows at a time from a farmers field!!!).

So there is a VAST difference. I sincerely believe that there is an undercurrent of migrants who have set up their "underworld" already.

In a nutshell instead of enhancing our country as it was supposed to do - we've lost our identity and are being over taken. I feel for the "genuine" migrants who come here to do well for their young family (i.e. bring them with them and dont ship their money home - Oh and we pay for some of theirs kids back home too!!!!).

I must sound angry, I am and must seem a hypocrite, I hope im not but there is a differnce and I just wish we'd install the Canada/USA or Aus way of "screening" - the UK nationals would feel ALOT better then!

N
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Rich n Emma is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with NatnSid, its getting beyond a joke. There's also the matter of assylum seekers that are rejected but slip through the net and never actually leave the country. I'm fed up with paying taxes to fund other people who can't be bothered to work.

Last edited by Rich n Emma; Jan 13th 2008 at 3:45 pm. Reason: I can't spell!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich n Emma
I totally agree with NatnSid, its getting beyond a joke. There's also the matter of assylum seekers that are rejected but slip through the net and never actually leave the country. I'm fed up with paying taxes to fund other people who can't be bothered to work.
Well, that would apply to both those who are English (British) and those newly arrived on English soil.

Most brits will use the system to their advantage and not work - in fact, it wholly works against those who may want to work, but are better off on benefit!

It's the British Government that have got the system wrong, and the smart people are coming here to abuse it. Without fundamentally changing the social state, the use and abuse of it will continue, regardless of people's origins!

B
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
Oh but there is! At least in Canada you are vetted and have to come and support yourself.

As the majority of the EU are allowed in without question now - we have all and sundry coming over. They are not vetted, the majority can't finance themselves and they don't know squat about English culture. So going to the local fishery nicking the Carp (which is a delicacy in Poland) and stealing it/eating it (we don't fish to keep over here) and GUTTING OF LIVESTOCK in an open field, leaving the entrails and taking home the meat is a frequent occurance near me! (5 cows at a time from a farmers field!!!).

So there is a VAST difference. I sincerely believe that there is an undercurrent of migrants who have set up their "underworld" already.

In a nutshell instead of enhancing our country as it was supposed to do - we've lost our identity and are being over taken. I feel for the "genuine" migrants who come here to do well for their young family (i.e. bring them with them and dont ship their money home - Oh and we pay for some of theirs kids back home too!!!!).

I must sound angry, I am and must seem a hypocrite, I hope im not but there is a differnce and I just wish we'd install the Canada/USA or Aus way of "screening" - the UK nationals would feel ALOT better then!

N
"A" and "LOT" are two different words. You'll need to know that for your language vetting exam.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rich n Emma
Yes there are the UK "new generation" who have kids to get a council house and benefits to stay there. The parenting has changed, the laws have changed the PC correctness has gone doolally! All culminating in a new age "nightmare" - add to that the Migrants who come and gleen - us people who work our nuts off, don't have the latest threads/cars and luxuries on tick find it hard to actually live!

Whats going on with the France Border houses? Oh France are great at "NIMBY" (Not in my back yard) aren't they - they store em up and say "you ain't coming here" and then ship them all over to us with a great big boot up their jacksy!

They probably even pay for them to land here waving gleefully as they see them off! Byeeeee enjoy England!!!

N
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
"A" and "LOT" are two different words. You'll need to know that for your language vetting exam.
Thanks for being so "up your own jacksy" to point that out

No really, Thanks :O)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.