Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do I sound like Hugh Grant?

Wikiposts

Why do I sound like Hugh Grant?

Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of
Default Why do I sound like Hugh Grant?

I do.

I'm from a Yorkshire fishing town but to hear me carry on since I arrived in Vancouver you would think I was 43rd in line to the throne. My father asked me why I was 'talking like a tw*t' when I last spoke to him.

I had no idea I sounded any different and thought he was winding me up (as my father is fond of doing) but my brother suggested I should try out for the Royal Shakespeare Company such was the ridiculous change in my voice.

Anyone else turned into little Lord Fauntleroy?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do I sound like Hugh Grant?

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
I do.

I'm from a Yorkshire fishing town but to hear me carry on since I arrived in Vancouver you would think I was 43rd in line to the throne. My father asked me why I was 'talking like a tw*t' when I last spoke to him.

I had no idea I sounded any different and thought he was winding me up (as my father is fond of doing) but my brother suggested I should try out for the Royal Shakespeare Company such was the ridiculous change in my voice.

Yeah, wanna make something of it?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
I do.

Nope. Maybe you have a desire to a posh person and now without social confinements you have free reign to follow your dream. That's what moving to Canada is all about.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Ectually, ... one has been aware that one sometimes sounds "more British than the British"; ..... sometimes so much so that one is occasioned to wonder how the 'eck one normally would pronounce things back in the Old Country.....

I think it is a result of all the odd accents by which one finds oneself surrounded whilst living "abroad" as one does .....

My folks have said that I sound "Canadian" when talking to them on Skype or phone, and my SIL said she was relieved to find my accent really had not changed at all when I went back to visit!

I perceive that I am, in effect, accentuationally challenged!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:33 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

My Mrs. is starting to sound Australian?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:38 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

oh no - not the rising inflection at the end of every sentence, whether or not is is a question? eh?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to be spending 60% of my (new job) working day speaking to people who's first language is NOT English.

Therefore my English accent these days is terribly proper and pronounced and correct - and slow - and my new boss is taking the mickey out of me for sounding so terribly English. (She is a Brit from Hertfordshire who has lived here for 30 years so her accent is a bit all over the place.) But I think this has been a slow morph over the past few years anyway as I amend my vocabulary and my voice so as to be understood.

I'm a Surrey girl that can swing from (copying my husband's) saff lundun accent (don't tell him I said that!) to almost posh. Depends on situation, company and amount of vino collapso consumed.

Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

My accent is pretty peculiar. I can speak proper like, received pronounciation and all that but I tend to talk in a muddle influence by whomever I am talking to at the time.

When I was in England people used to ask me where I was from and guess at Irish. Here they think I am Scottish

Planet Fled accent I suppose.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:09 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

The change in my accent started long before I ended up in Canada.

Originally from the North East (Sunderland) I went to University in Surrey where my accent mellowed in order to be understood by the home counties set.

Most of my UK working life was spent in East Anglia/Cambs so a bit more of the accent was lost.

Then on to Canada and Quebec where i worked for a company staffed by most of the world's nationalities so my accent mellowed even more. The same happened in Ontario and now Saskatchewan, My speech is slower and the accent more BBC North East than an extra from Auf Weidersen Pet.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:28 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I seem to be spending 60% of my (new job) working day speaking to people who's first language is NOT English.

Therefore my English accent these days is terribly proper and pronounced and correct - and slow - ....
Ah, you might be on to something there ..... my ESL patients often say they find me easier to understand than they do a Canadian! ... hmmmm ....
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

When I arrived, conscious of my manc accent, I tried to speak a bit more slowly, enunciate my words better etc.
Now I just cant be arsed so I speak the way I normally speak, innit.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an accent. I'm English and this is how words spoken in English are meant to sound when they are pronounced correctly.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:04 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
When I arrived, conscious of my manc accent, I tried to speak a bit more slowly, enunciate my words better etc.
Now I just cant be arsed so I speak the way I normally speak, innit.
....if you speak slowly and have a manc accent you're just gonna sound pissed surely?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't have an accent. I'm English and this is how words spoken in English are meant to sound when they are pronounced correctly.
Are you Jeremy Clarkson in disguise?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:04 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Ah yes, if you are having trouble in placing my accent, it's culture.

Despite growing up in East Anglia and living and working for 14years in Essex, I have a pretty much RP accent, although I can do Estuarial English when required (innit). I was once asked by a colleague in Essex whether 'when yer pissed, do you stop talking all posh and tawlk like us then?' to which I replied, 'no, dear boy, when I'm in my cups, I get even posher'. He called me a banker or some similar term......

I don't believe that my accent has changed much in the 5 years or so I've been here. North American's still get a kick out of it....'Gee I just luuurve your accent!'. What I am concious of doing, is using local idioms and manners of speaking. Friends and colleagues find it amusing when a, very, British bloke talks about what's 'On the go', 'Clewing something up' and other such Newfisms. Err 'By'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.