Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why did you want to leave the uk?

why did you want to leave the uk?

Old May 18th 2009, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why did you want to leave the uk?

I think certain people need to be careful this thread doesnt take a different route- ie/ racist.

I find it a little bit difficult to understand people complain about immigration whilst at the same time filling out their papers to emigrate themselves.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:43 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I think certain people need to be careful this thread doesnt take a different route- ie/ racist.

I find it a little bit difficult to understand people complain about immigration whilst at the same time filling out their papers to emigrate themselves.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:55 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
Yes, of course there are nice areas in the UK. Lots of them. But very few folk can afford to live in those areas. We're a relatively young family (not 30 yet)- there's no way we can live in those kind of areas AND provide the lifestyle we want our kids to have (which includes, amongst other things, me living within a short commute to my job- which by it's nature means I work in a city centre).

Besides, you can live in a nice area in the UK but never be more than a short drive from a really shitty area.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I had this conversation with my brother in manchester - he concluded anywhere nice was lacking in work or affordable housing. Problem is most brits are crammed into large urban areas where the work is and an undercurrent of violence. Few of us have the luxury of living in a village or on the south coast. Just like Charles Dickens used to say, there really are two Englands.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR POT
Has anyone on here been to Toronto, the reports seem good so far?
Yes, spent lots of time there with ex-boyf who lived there. Hated it, so built up and crowded. JMO though.

Also, think you may need to revisit your research on crime in Canada v UK - there are more murders per capita in Canada actually.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really nice

Surely there has to be a push to create a pull, because if their wasn't a push then emmigration would never be considered.

I wanted to leave the UK for three reasons:

It seemed the harder I worked and the more I earnt the more was taken from me in terms of the numerous taxes. Canada I feel people don't care what job you have or what you earn or who you are.

My kids have benefitted so much in the short time we have been in calgary, they have done things that would not have happened in the uk. Not because the UK does not have those activities but because they are expensive, and over crowded and were not local to where I lived.

The area where I lived was ok when I grew up (im 31 so 15-20 yrs ago) but recent examples of violence and crime never happened
Example 1 - Community Police Officer asked a teenager girl to pick up litter she had thrown on the ground, her response was for her and 20 friends to assault the officer and put him in hospital.
Example 2 - Group of teenager boys started assaulting and throwing chairs and at a security guard who tried to stop them shoplifting, An 80 year old woman was hit by a metal chair as she walked past the shop.

This is where I lived and incidents such as the above never happened until about 5 years ago.

Canada might not be Utopia but its everything I want for my family and my happiness.

Last edited by Kokanee; May 18th 2009 at 3:01 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
Personally I agree with everything he says - London is like Beirut now!
Oh good grief. Words fail me!
Old May 18th 2009, 3:06 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I had this conversation with my brother in manchester - he concluded anywhere nice was lacking in work or affordable housing. Problem is most brits are crammed into large urban areas where the work is and an undercurrent of violence. Few of us have the luxury of living in a village or on the south coast. Just like Charles Dickens used to say, there really are two Englands.
I have to disagree with this conclusion. There are many affordable areas that are also very nice and commutable to work in the cities or larger towns. Granted, the South (London area) is the second England but the rest of the UK North from there has many.

Plus, anybody likening the rest of the UK to Manchester would inevitably see the negatives
Old May 18th 2009, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by act1980
I think to be fair though that a lot of people do do their research, it's circumstance that effects peoples quality of life. Like so many that have lost their jobs in Canada at the moment which has jepordized thir status in Canada and caused financial issues.

I think some people have a lot of luck and settle well while others don't, hence why there is a mixed bag of opinions.

I still don't think that Canada is like the UK in a lot of ways.
Very true. Ones own circumstances will have as much as an influence as the place its self. Moving to a new place, no job, savings vanishing, relationship in the gutter due to the stress, kids miss their friends/grandparents etc.

Which is why you have to give it a reasonable amount of time to make a realistically informed decision. People leaving one place for another expecting a 'fix' to all their woes may be in for a shock.

Overall i have to give Canada the nod for overall better quality of life, and livability - but that's my bag and may not be someone else's. My memories of the UK of the eighties when I left are not very pleasant I'm afraid.

Why did i leave? I actually never 'left england' - just popped abroad for an adventure when i was 20 and expected to go back after 12 months - that was 20 years ago -and i never did go back.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

did you know if a non-caucasian is involved in a crime and race is brought into it by one party they are instantly arrested, this only applies to caucasians due to a loopholed law.
I thought he was joking until I contacted one of my college friends who is solicitor to find out its authenticity....
Your solicitor friend must have misunderstood you - you seriously believe there are laws that only apply to caucasians?!?

Most people dont work and will never work
'Most people'?!? Methinks that is a tad of an exaggeration. Of course there are the layabouts that sponge off the state, but every country has them.

Education is crashing fast, I have two teachers in my family, one moved the Vietnam due to the increasing violence in schools. Funny as it sounds the chavs are multiplying and taking over, the economy will struggle to recover
No here it isn't, our schools are excellent. One of my major concerns about moving to Canada is that I don't think the education for my children will be anywhere near as good.

Do you need any qualifications/trade or a job to get in the uk.
The answer is NO but you do in Canada or Australia, that instantly wipes out 90 percent of the rubbish.
Yes, you do. Ask a Canadian or Aussie (or US citizen, etc) how they would get a visa for the UK and you'll find they'd also need a skill or trade. Not just anybody can come here, you appear to be misinformed on that.

The uk is one of the only country I have ever been to where people do not smile towards one another, what is wrong with people
You're clearly living in the wrong part. Not only have I received smiles in all the various areas I've travelled or lived in the UK, but most people even (shock, horror!) chat to me too.

In Australia/canada if you do not have a job that the country needs then your on the plane going back, in the uk they just get a council flat for the rest of their lives
Again, you are misinformed. No Canadian or Aussie that didn't contribute to the country would get anything.

Any feedback would be appreciated as I am looking to raise a family where people are actually nice to each other
Then you need to move to where I live. Lovely neighbours, fab small village school, children play out safely in the streets, no crime and not a yob in sight.

That can all be found in the UK you know, you simply need to move areas.

Old May 18th 2009, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

I gotta disagree on this one to an extent......yes, poorer classes and ethnics tend to be grouped in poorer area's and unfortunately become aclimatised to their surroundings and are not offered much support from the government or LA's (Local Authority).

However, in more rural area's it is quite possible to buy homes at an affordable price. In my village for example two up houses are selling at an average of £80,000, and in neighbouring villages I have been offered property for as little as £55,000! We are 30mins bus ride (15 by car from major cities and towns where I would imagine there are ample employment opportunities).
Old May 18th 2009, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
I have to disagree with this conclusion. There are many affordable areas that are also very nice and commutable to work in the cities or larger towns. Granted, the South (London area) is the second England but the rest of the UK North from there has many.

Plus, anybody likening the rest of the UK to Manchester would inevitably see the negatives
Not really manchester i would go as far as to say the north west. Dickens was referring to class distinctions and not south vs north. I too was sharing your view that there surely must be nicer places to live than manchester. Happen a lot of people are not as adventurous as you or I.

While i constantly knock manchester on here, I don't pretend to know all of the uk. But i do suspect after living/visiting a number of major urban areas in the UK that the issues are much the same from one place to another.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

But i do suspect after living/visiting a number of major urban areas in the UK that the issues are much the same from one place to another.
I'm sure you're right, but then people can choose not to live in those urban areas. Property prices are generally cheaper and life is much nicer (imo).

Old May 18th 2009, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what makes anyone think Manchester is any different to other major cities in the UK. It's not.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by skyturner
I gotta disagree on this one to an extent......yes, poorer classes and ethnics tend to be grouped in poorer area's and unfortunately become aclimatised to their surroundings and are not offered much support from the government or LA's (Local Authority).

However, in more rural area's it is quite possible to buy homes at an affordable price. In my village for example two up houses are selling at an average of £80,000, and in neighbouring villages I have been offered property for as little as £55,000! We are 30mins bus ride (15 by car from major cities and towns where I would imagine there are ample employment opportunities).
Well there you go, I'll let my brother know. Problem on here is there is no way to generalize. Manchester vs Vancouver or Winnipeg vs London etc. Can't imagine what type of property you can get for 55,000 quid.
Here's what you can get 10 miles from manchester - my old neck of the woods: (just like coronation street)

http://www.findaproperty.com/searchr...=1&bedrooms=02

Last edited by dboy; May 18th 2009 at 3:24 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm sure you're right, but then people can choose not to live in those urban areas. Property prices are generally cheaper and life is much nicer (imo).

I;m sure you are right - but you have to look at life without the rose tinted specs. My brother has 4 kids, and needs the family support in the area, is in debt up to his eyeballs due to borrowing his way out of financial stresses, probably cant sell his house and then there is the issue of work. Not just as simple as packing up and moving to the country. I dare say he is typical of many people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.