Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why did you want to leave the uk?

why did you want to leave the uk?

Old May 21st 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Mooredog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why did you want to leave the uk?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Happy? How happy would you be if a cow shat on your head? Cow shit is runny.
They tell me it's good for hair loss!
Old May 21st 2009, 1:35 pm
Banned

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MR POT
Hello All,

Please note that the following is based upon my experience as a chartered construction manager who has worked and lived all over the uk employing thousands of people over the last ten years.....

I am looking to relocate (maybe Toronto) and have been suprised by some of the threads on here.
I have been looking into it for some time now and have researched the crime rates/employment/laws for canada and so far I cannot see how the UK compares. My partner and I are both finishing our masters degrees so I dont think we will have any problems getting in as we both have specific disciplines.
I live in east london and work as a construction manager for the railway and have had a lot of colleagues in the last few years emergrate to canada or australia and the only feedback I have ever received is that they wish they had dont it earlier.
I have noticed that some people have said that the crime is the same, I dont know if they have been to London but look at the international problems when the two french students where killed.
THAT HAPPENS IN THE UK EVERY DAY AND THE FRENCH WHERE SHOCKED
I know a couple that moved to Toronto from the met police to work for them and they have said there is more crime in a small uk borough than a major city in canada?
As for sexual harassment and rape etc, there are some serious problems between ethnic groups in the uk.
Young Asian men are now responsible for 98 percent of the above two which has risen 75 percent in the last ten years, now I am not racists or one for statistics but this is from the police stats directly.
One of my other friend is a black guy who patrols brixton, not only is he racial abused on a daily basis by members of the public from the same ethnic background, he has told me that he feels sorry for me as I am caucasian as the law does not protect me because of it, did you know if a non-caucasian is involved in a crime and race is brought into it by one party they are instantly arrested, this only applies to caucasians due to a loopholed law.
I thought he was joking until I contacted one of my college friends who is solicitor to find out its authenticity....

I have travelled the world and been to many places and met many people and cultures to find the feedback I have received is uniform.

The following reasons are the reality of day to day life in the uk, unless your one of these people that goes to work, comes home, goes to the local restaurant or the pub once a week and then went back home.
You see when you are in a box of a protected enviroment you are unlikely to witness or be involved in the following daily incidents and people.

Most people dont work and will never work

The same people steal, take drugs and spread disease

I pay 40 percent tax for these people

There children end up being exactly the same, then the problem multiplies

Education is crashing fast, I have two teachers in my family, one moved the Vietnam due to the increasing violence in schools. Funny as it sounds the chavs are multiplying and taking over, the economy will struggle to recover

As a chartered provisional I can guarantee that people are not interested in professional qualifications, the uk is a society of blaggers and chancers (I get hundreds of their cv's every week).
Do you need any qualifications/trade or a job to get in the uk.
The answer is NO but you do in Canada or Australia, that instantly wipes out 90 percent of the rubbish.

The uk is one of the only country I have ever been to where people do not smile towards one another, what is wrong with people

In Australia/canada if you do not have a job that the country needs then your on the plane going back, in the uk they just get a council flat for the rest of their lives

Any feedback would be appreciated as I am looking to raise a family where people are actually nice to each other

Try somewhere in the Sahara desert, honestly, there are NO people, and there ARE no blacks, Asians, Caucausians etc,. There are no houses, streets etc nothing. IN FACT, if you live in the Sahara THERE IS DEFINATELY NO TAXES TO PAY !!!!!!!!!

Even a big plus one, is the fact that there no blaggers. You might want to learn some survival skills courses though......try www.survival.com that will help you out.

IN fact, you dont need to even bother about people smiling at YOU, cause its just the usual snakes etc,

Honestly give it a go mukker, and then let me know how you get on. You might even utilise your Master degree and Chartered professional qualifications on the Snakes and other things that live there !!!

Its a UTOPIA !!!

Old May 21st 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Has'nt Canada got its fair share of free loaders and bloody immigrants ?
Are'nt you a bloody immigrant ?
Not where i am, we are all hard working honest folk.

who you calling an immigrant? You racist b*********
Old May 21st 2009, 3:01 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skyturner
Manchester....made me loadsa brass.
Good for you. I was speaking of my experiences and mine alone. Vancouver has made me lots of money.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I know many decent, well-meaning, liberal minded people who share your view of the UK. They come from differing backgrounds, have different levels of education, different amounts of money, were even born and brought up in different countries. The only common characteristic they have is that they are all white.

Thankfully, the instances of overt racism in the UK are declining: the beatings, disfigurements and sexual assaults (real and threatened) are rare. Even the name calling is nowadays seen by most people as inappropriate. (Though, prejudice against people because of their religion seems to be perfectly acceptable, especially if the vast majority of the followers of a religion have a dusky hue.)

However, the casual racism is still there, and it is pervasive. The trouble is that white people just don't see it. It is part and parcel of the British way of life. The greatest difficulty in trying to explain it is that it is the culmination of many small things, each of which would be dismissed as meaningless or as an overreaction on its own, but that together leave person with the clear message that they are not "one of us". If they are lucky, they will be tolerated.

I tolerate toothache until I can get to the dentist. A tolerant society is a hell of a lot better than an intolerant one, but it is hardly a basis for building a future.

There is an attitude that Britain has a proud cultural heritage that should be defended. Therefore, anyone not of the culture (in other words visible minorities) needs to be treated with suspicion. I don't find that attitude in Vancouver. (I have only lived in Metro Vancouver so I can't speak for the rest of Canada.) Here a very large part of the population are immigrants, and a large part of them are visible minorities. Such a large part that the term itself ceases to have any real meaning. Here there is little to defend, but a future to create. Anyone with something positive to add to this future is welcome.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy
I'm slightly confused with the 'living to work' bit here when Canada have such ridiculously short holidays
That's very subjective. Not everyone has no holidays. I get 5 weeks plus stats. I can also carry them over year to year or bank overtime as time off. My leave bank has about 4 months worth in it.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:11 pm

I think the standard holiday entightlement is two week a year !!! Really generous Coupled with the ridiculously high tax I wonder if it is all worth it ? Your boss has six weeks because he is the boss and bosses make the rules. One of those rules in Canada is that the workers work a minimum of 50 weeks a year, and just have two miserly weeks off to rest.

At least the boss will give you a pat on your back, the same way he pats his favourite labrador.
Income tax is no higher in Canada than the UK and RRSP contributions can reduce it significantly.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by dboy
That's very subjective. Not everyone has no holidays. I get 5 weeks plus stats. I can also carry them over year to year or bank overtime as time off. My leave bank has about 4 months worth in it.
You visiting Manchester for 4 months then gis us a job, go on, I can do that...
Old May 21st 2009, 3:16 pm

Not as many as in the UK and we still are entightled to a minimum of 4 weeks holiday per year on top. I suppose its one of the benefits of living in the Queens favoured land and home, rather than a remote outpost.
I believe canada has more but it is different from province to province. There are 9 paid in BC (4 provincial and 5 national) - although boxing day is optional. I get it paid so have 10. If i work one i get paid double time and a half - or i have the option of banking it and taking the time later.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:19 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
Income tax is no higher in Canada than the UK and RRSP contributions can reduce it significantly.
PLUS...can i add that if you OH and kids (that dont work) that you can claim for them as well, which reduces the tax even more.....

OH was on a real good salary in the uk, now back to hands on, GOOD hours, FAB over-time rate, LONG weekends and better quality of life
To top it off we get to live in a lovely country, kids are free to play out doors, we are relaxed, lower monthly out goings...erm do i carry on...........

OK its not everyones cup of tea, so look somewhere else or stay in the uk.
The ones that have moved to canada that love it have mega lists why they stop here, for others get over it and move on

This is why you left the UK....Looking on here somedays make me think

"THANK GOD I HAVE FACEBOOK"
Old May 21st 2009, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by skyturner
You visiting Manchester for 4 months then gis us a job, go on, I can do that...
No I;m too busy to get that much time off, which is why it keeps carrying over. If you like dealing with the worse scum in society, I can get you a job. And yes there is lots of scum in Canada - just like anywhere else.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I often wonder, though, why it appears that whites are the only ones that wring their hands over such issues.
What makes you think it is only whites?
Old May 27th 2009, 10:19 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A cow pat.
whooooooooooooooosh
Old May 27th 2009, 3:17 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
whooooooooooooooosh