Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why did you want to leave the uk?

why did you want to leave the uk?

Old May 20th 2009, 3:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why did you want to leave the uk?

Originally Posted by pgtips
I always say be thankful for what you have, no matter how much or little.
Hmmm, i'm really not trying to centre you out but.......

....should somebody be thankful for having to endure famine or being born with Aids, for example?

Should they really be thankful that they have to endure hell while somebody else has the choice to purchase 4 properties (2 of which they don't need), gallivant across the globe with ease, purely because they were born in a different area?

Or should people be thankful for having terminal cancer? I know i wouldn't.

I personally appreciate what i have right now. I'm certainly not thankful.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You ARE from Manchester arent you

First of all, it's "aren't"

Nope i actually live in a very nice area of London. I'm just unfortunate that the elderly people on the ground floor bought their slightly disturbed and very very unhygienic son a top floor apartment next to mine

He's well known in the building as "Stinky Guy"
Old May 20th 2009, 3:20 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Hmmm, i'm really not trying to centre you out but.......

....should somebody be thankful for having to endure famine or being born with Aids, for example?

Should they really be thankful that they have to endure hell while somebody else has the choice to purchase 4 properties (2 of which they don't need), gallivant across the globe with ease, purely because they were born in a different area?

Or should people be thankful for having terminal cancer? I know i wouldn't.

I personally appreciate what i have right now. I'm certainly not thankful.
el_richo I did not say I purchased 4 properties.
I bought 2 and inherited 2. Hence why a couple are being sold so somebody else can benefit from living there.

I am not saying you should be thankful for the bad things that happen to you, just appreciate the good times.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I feel a sociology paper coming on
The study of people who don't need to be studied by people who do.

Always liked that one.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I always say be thankful for what you have, no matter how much or little.
I've noticed you always saying that. It doesn't make it any less saccharine to repeat it.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
My view is that people will always be afraid of what is different. Some people are openly racist and prejudice and some tiptoe around it but ultimately the fear of what is different is what makes people racist whther they choose to be or not. We all have an element of prejudice in us and we have to fight it because ultimately we are all flesh and red blood.

My experience of Canada is different to yours as I have only ever holidayed in Vancouver. But on day to day living and working in Toronto and London I would have to say that immigrants from certain parts of the world are given a fairer crack of the whip in London than they are in Toronto.

I respect Canada and see it as liberal and multicultural but I also view the UK as incredibly tolerant. For people to call the UK racist upsets me because I can think of umpteen examples where other countries are more racist. Living in London and having worked with many different types of people and kids I am impressed with how all the people in London integrate and support each other.
I know many decent, well-meaning, liberal minded people who share your view of the UK. They come from differing backgrounds, have different levels of education, different amounts of money, were even born and brought up in different countries. The only common characteristic they have is that they are all white.

Thankfully, the instances of overt racism in the UK are declining: the beatings, disfigurements and sexual assaults (real and threatened) are rare. Even the name calling is nowadays seen by most people as inappropriate. (Though, prejudice against people because of their religion seems to be perfectly acceptable, especially if the vast majority of the followers of a religion have a dusky hue.)

However, the casual racism is still there, and it is pervasive. The trouble is that white people just don't see it. It is part and parcel of the British way of life. The greatest difficulty in trying to explain it is that it is the culmination of many small things, each of which would be dismissed as meaningless or as an overreaction on its own, but that together leave person with the clear message that they are not "one of us". If they are lucky, they will be tolerated.

I tolerate toothache until I can get to the dentist. A tolerant society is a hell of a lot better than an intolerant one, but it is hardly a basis for building a future.

There is an attitude that Britain has a proud cultural heritage that should be defended. Therefore, anyone not of the culture (in other words visible minorities) needs to be treated with suspicion. I don't find that attitude in Vancouver. (I have only lived in Metro Vancouver so I can't speak for the rest of Canada.) Here a very large part of the population are immigrants, and a large part of them are visible minorities. Such a large part that the term itself ceases to have any real meaning. Here there is little to defend, but a future to create. Anyone with something positive to add to this future is welcome.
Old May 20th 2009, 5:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I know many decent, well-meaning, liberal minded people who share your view of the UK. They come from differing backgrounds, have different levels of education, different amounts of money, were even born and brought up in different countries. The only common characteristic they have is that they are all white.

Thankfully, the instances of overt racism in the UK are declining: the beatings, disfigurements and sexual assaults (real and threatened) are rare. Even the name calling is nowadays seen by most people as inappropriate. (Though, prejudice against people because of their religion seems to be perfectly acceptable, especially if the vast majority of the followers of a religion have a dusky hue.)

However, the casual racism is still there, and it is pervasive. The trouble is that white people just don't see it. It is part and parcel of the British way of life. The greatest difficulty in trying to explain it is that it is the culmination of many small things, each of which would be dismissed as meaningless or as an overreaction on its own, but that together leave person with the clear message that they are not "one of us". If they are lucky, they will be tolerated.

I tolerate toothache until I can get to the dentist. A tolerant society is a hell of a lot better than an intolerant one, but it is hardly a basis for building a future.

There is an attitude that Britain has a proud cultural heritage that should be defended. Therefore, anyone not of the culture (in other words visible minorities) needs to be treated with suspicion. I don't find that attitude in Vancouver. (I have only lived in Metro Vancouver so I can't speak for the rest of Canada.) Here a very large part of the population are immigrants, and a large part of them are visible minorities. Such a large part that the term itself ceases to have any real meaning. Here there is little to defend, but a future to create. Anyone with something positive to add to this future is welcome.

Last night I walked into a bar. An old Tamla record was playing. That there should be MOBO in a bar in small town Ontario surprised me. That someone bellowed from the back "Why's there n***** music in here?" did not. You've got your islands of tolerance in Canada, traditionally in the three cities, but the idea that the nation as a whole is tolerant is far fetched.

Last edited by iaink; May 21st 2009 at 6:39 pm. Reason: ***ed to protect the more sensitive readers
Old May 20th 2009, 6:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Last night I walked into a bar. An old Tamla record was playing. That there should be MOBO in a bar in small town Ontario surprised me. That someone bellowed from the back "Why's there nigger music in here?" did not. You've got your islands of tolerance in Canada, traditionally in the three cities, but the idea that the nation as a whole is tolerant is far fetched.
In the Fraser Valley (it goes very quickly from city to country) I still hear people of my age and older referring to anything other than country and western as race music.

I did try to qualify my post as being my experience in my part of Canada.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

el_richo I did not say I purchased 4 properties.
I bought 2 and inherited 2. Hence why a couple are being sold so somebody else can benefit from living there.

I am not saying you should be thankful for the bad things that happen to you, just appreciate the good times.
How extremely christian selling two so someone else can benefit from living there.....and the cash proceeds may I ask?
Old May 20th 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
No, not really. Is he dead yet?
Idi Amin died in exile in Saudi Arabia in 2003. No doubt living in the lap of luxury.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:39 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Last night I walked into a bar. An old Tamla record was playing. That there should be MOBO in a bar in small town Ontario surprised me. That someone bellowed from the back "Why's there ni**er music in here?" did not. You've got your islands of tolerance in Canada, traditionally in the three cities, but the idea that the nation as a whole is tolerant is far fetched.
This is serious crap, but a rare slip of the tongue I hope ?
I suppose every country has some ugly skeletons in the closet.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This is serious crap, but a rare slip of the tongue I hope ?
I think it accurately reflects the attitude of people who wear baseball caps towards people of other ethnic backgrounds so, in a word, no.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I think it accurately reflects the attitude of people who wear baseball caps towards people of other ethnic backgrounds so, in a word, no.
I often wonder, though, why it appears that whites are the only ones that wring their hands over such issues. I can't imagine for one minute that Hutus worry about such issues when thinking of Tutsis, or whether Sunni Muslims worry about such issues when thinking about their Shia brethren?
Old May 20th 2009, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I often wonder, though, why it appears that whites are the only ones that wring their hands over such issues. I can't imagine for one minute that Hutus worry about such issues when thinking of Tutsis, or whether Sunni Muslims worry about such issues when thinking about their Shia brethren?
Because it's wrong. Plain and simple.

Who cares what other cultures/races/religions think.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jericho
The massive increase in ASBO culture, random violence, and ridiculous housing prices. Became sick and tired of living to work. The main one though was the ASBO problem- it appeared everywhere you turned there was a gang of teenagers getting drunk, smashing bottles, causing trouble etc.
The local kiddies parks were full of graffiti, vandalism, beer cans, cigarette butts, etc. Not really where I wanted to take my kids.
Ridiculous ideas like the Manchester congestion charge really got on my tits also.
I'm slightly confused with the 'living to work' bit here when Canada have such ridiculously short holidays

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.