British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why did you choose to move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-did-you-choose-move-canada-838914/)

neneromanova Jul 17th 2014 5:05 pm

Re: Why did you choose to move to Canada?

We can't move to Europe as it wouldn't be fair on the kids education.

christmasoompa Jul 17th 2014 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by neneromanova (Post 11339358)

:confused: I'm confused, why would that be detrimental to their education, but a Canadian education would be ok?

I'd move to Europe in a shot specifically for that reason (and even more specifically, for the opportunity for the kids to have fluency in another language), I'm intrigued as to why you think schooling in Europe wouldn't be fair on their education?

neneromanova Jul 17th 2014 5:10 pm

Yep, Devon is lovely for about 3 weeks of the year. Most of the year its like this:

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...3554-large.jpg

Or just grey and miserable...

Novocastrian Jul 17th 2014 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by neneromanova (Post 11339358)

With the greatest respect, that's nonsense.

neneromanova Jul 17th 2014 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11339362)
:confused: I'm confused, why would that be detrimental to their education, but a Canadian education would be ok?

I'd move to Europe in a shot specifically for that reason (and even more specifically, for the opportunity for the kids to have fluency in another language), I'm intrigued as to why you think schooling in Europe wouldn't be fair on their education?

Because they wouldn't be able to understand the language straight away and the UK is in a much better position than any of the EU. The EU is ******.

christmasoompa Jul 17th 2014 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by neneromanova (Post 11339374)
Because they wouldn't be able to understand the language straight away

So give them a couple of months and then voila, they're bilingual! Massive positive imo.

neneromanova Jul 17th 2014 5:21 pm

so what happens when they come home with homework and I can't help them as it's in french/german etc as i can't speak other languages. It's like they go in one ear and other other. My brain has an aversion to learning and storing languages :(

MarylandNed Jul 17th 2014 5:22 pm

Because they wouldn't be able to understand the language straight away

But they'd be learning a new one a hell of a lot faster than they would in a UK classroom.

and the UK is in a much better position than any of the EU. The EU is ******.

That's debatable.

dbd33 Jul 17th 2014 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11339375)
So give them a couple of months and then voila, they're bilingual! Massive positive imo.

A colleague has just taken a job in Toulouse or, as he would say, "Toulouse, France", in large part so the children in the family will acquire French. I'm rather looking forward to hearing their revised accents as they speak southern State American now; they really will say "Bonjour, y'all".

Novocastrian Jul 17th 2014 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by neneromanova (Post 11339385)
so what happens when they come home with homework and I can't help them as it's in french/german etc as i can't speak other languages. It's like they go in one ear and other other. My brain has an aversion to learning and storing languages :(

How do you know?

MarylandNed Jul 17th 2014 5:25 pm

You learned English, didn't you? The problem with learning languages is that the traditional methods don't work very well - especially if you're not using the language every day. You'd do fine with language immersion which is how you learned English after all.

dbd33 Jul 17th 2014 5:26 pm

Mine outran me in French, German and Maths by the age of twelve. There was no point in trying to compete so we hired tutors.

christmasoompa Jul 17th 2014 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11339396)
Mine outran me in French, German and Maths by the age of twelve. There was no point in trying to compete so we hired tutors.

I was just about to say that, my 9 year old gets homework that is beyond me sometimes, whether it is in English or French would make absolutely no difference! :lol:

Howefamily Jul 17th 2014 5:37 pm

Could it be that they just don't want to live in Europe?
Each to their own and all that....

MarylandNed Jul 17th 2014 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 11339408)
Could it be that they just don't want to live in Europe?
Each to their own and all that....

Sure...but to say that you can't do it because the kids won't understand the language right away seems a weak excuse. Kids pick up languages fast when immersed in them. That's how they are built.

Now, if you don't want to do it because you can't be arsed learning the language yourself or you just don't want to do it at all, then fair enough.