Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:09 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't see why I, or anyone else on this forum has to disclose everything about themselves if they choose not to.

And nor do I.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:20 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
On the other hand when someone asks a question previously asked there are usually complaints about a duplicate question.

Obviously someone could look for a previous thread and then read through it but things do change, people may feel differently about something they said in a previous thread and then, of course, there's likely a fair number of new members in the last six months who may want to add their contribution.

Resurrecting an existing thread allows a sight of both old comments and new ones to be made. It doesn't seem such an odd thing to do.
I hadn't even realised it was an old thread. Does it even matter? It would seem that the OP still hasn't made the move. If that's OK with them, I couldn't care less. The only time it irritates me is when someone comes onto the forum asking for advice then arguing or being antagonistic for the sake of it. It just winds people up and the original - often useful - point can be lost.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
And nor do I.
Unless, of course, you've been repeatedly asked to provide a hint as to, let's say, your own salary expectations, when you're hoping to get FSW through your OH's nursing qualification.

You know at least as well as (no better than) all the other posters who've told Mr. R. that his OH is going to have difficulty in re-qualifying as a nurse in Ontario.

He keeps rabbiting on about trivialities and asking for guidance on matters of tertiary importance while refusing to face reality.

If he's a merchant banker then it might work out for him and his family, but if he's a stay-at-home Dad or a shelf-filler at Asda, then less so.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Unless, of course, you'vebeen repeatedly asked to provide a hint as to, let's say, your own salary expectations, when you're hoping to get FSW through your OH's nursing qualification.

You know at least as well as (no better than) all the other posters who've told Mr. R. that his OH is going to have difficulty in re-qualifying as a nurse in Ontario.

He keeps rabbiting on about trivialities and asking for guidance on matters of tertiary importance while refusing to face reality.
If you feel someone who is emigrating to a new country who asks questions about :
-Swapping a driving licence - Advice on certain areas to live - Childminders etc are trivial then what do YOU feel appropriate for me to ask?
Should everyone private message Novocastrian prior to posting a thread to check it is worthy?

The truth of it is. These questions are important TO ME. So I will contuinue to ask more in the future should I think of something.

Im sure Ive said this to you in the past, but i'll waste my time a little again (and for the last time) by saying... If you dont like a thread / post / question then feel free NOT to reply.
This is an internet forum, but you yourself choose to come on here in your spare time to post slightly provocative posts. Are you really that bored?

When I come on here (apart from now) It is when I am looking for information. If I happen to notice a thread/question that I can assist with then I will. I am not on here to make enemies with random internety profiles lol. I dont have, or want to waste the time getting involved in silly little debates with people. Or answering questions which are actually off topic/thread.

I am a firefighter = I KNOW it is hard to gain employment in Canada
My wife is a nurse = We KNOW it is difficult to get registered in Canada
We have been aware of these issues for a while. We have our ideas / plans in regards to our pursuit of immigration, and if we are wishing not to disclose EVERY single detail of it then surely people can + should respect that? I dont see why I should be accused of being antagonising for it?

Can we move on from these issues? 'Tirytory' and some others, seem helluva keen on constantly pointing out these obvious things. Popping up on different threads with the same sarcastic comments. And it is more so for her own benefit it seems not to help my wife and I.
I get slightly irked by the repetitive inquisition. In her own words "I have read their posts from end to end" I mean, c'mon?

I am amazed that people spend SO much time replying negatively and sarcastically to others.

Maybe Canada IS the wrong place to be if all people do when they get there is come on a forum and act disrespectful to others in pusuit of it...

'Mr R' (My new name apparently)

Last edited by Roberto1980; Jan 2nd 2015 at 11:17 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

^ Good luck. You're both going to need it.

Dear me.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:39 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
If you feel someone who is emigrating to a new country who asks questions about :
-Swapping a driving licence - Advice on certain areas to live - Childminders etc are trivial then what do YOU feel appropriate for me to ask?
Should everyone private message Novocastrian prior to posting a thread to check it is worthy?

The truth of it is. These questions are important TO ME. So I will contuinue to ask more in the future should I think of something.

Im sure Ive said this to you in the past, but i'll waste my time a little again (and for the last time) by saying... If you dont like a thread / post / question then feel free NOT to reply.
This is an internet forum, but you yourself choose to come on here in your spare time to post slightly provocative posts. Are you really that bored?

When I come on here (apart from now) It is when I am looking for information. If I happen to notice a thread/question that I can assist with then I will. I am not on here to make enemies with random internety profiles lol. I dont have, or want to waste the time getting involved in silly little debates with people. Or answering questions which are actually off topic/thread.

We have been aware of these issues for a while. We have our ideas / plans in regards to our pursuit of immigration, and if we are wishing not to disclose EVERY single detail of it then surely people can + should respect that? I dont see why I should be accused of being antagonising for it?

Can we move on from these issues? 'Tirytory' and some others, seem helluva keen on constantly pointing out these obvious things. Popping up on different threads with the same sarcastic comments. And it is more so for her own benefit it seems not to help my wife and I.
I get slightly irked by the repetitive inquisition. In her own words "I have read their posts from end to end" I mean, c'mon?

I am amazed that people spend SO much time replying negatively and sarcastically to others.

Maybe Canada IS the wrong place to be if all people do when they get there is come on a forum and act disrespectful to others in pusuit of it...

Canada is not the wrong place specifically. You are posting on a forum of British people who are behaving in a typical British fashion.
Take what you need from here, ignore what you feel is rude/antagonistic/sarcastic and follow your plans. You are a grown up, you can identify the risk and deem if its worth it.
For us, we moved for a number of reasons - all were important to us, some may make others laugh. And when we arrived we faced our face share of struggles and enjoyed our share of delights.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:35 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I fail to see what other posts I have been sarcastic or unhelpful in...they might not have been specific answers but you are kind of asking vague questions...childminders in the whole of Ontario? Where would you live in the whole of Canada?

You got very offended by your work question on that thread but it is genuinely the crux of the matter....if it doesn't matter where you need to work, then you can go anywhere where it is easier for your wife to work and it's cheaper to live. I fail to understand what is so difficult to grasp about that or why the need to be so evasive about it.

Also your refusal to help to answer any nursing questions sort of flies in the face of your answer of "oh I want to help if I can". As I have explained before, I am currently trying to register as a nurse in Ontario, I used to love my job back home and my colleagues and was very experienced in what I did. I knew I didn't need to work when I came here but I still wish to. I did know about the difficulty nursing in Canada before I came but failed to appreciate the effect on me of what actually trying to register and knowing that when I do get back into it all those years of experience will count for nothing. So yes, I am genuinely interested if your wife as the main breadwinner/immigrant has considered the lack of annual leave, her experience counting for nothing, what stage she is at, when she applied, has she applied for RPN as well as RN etc etc. At this point you will direct me back to your wife, but she doesn't post and unless you don't talk to her then you do know the answers but don't want to help others like me. If the key to immigration lies with her then the answers to the above questions are probably a more helpful and useful immigration tool than any other you can ask.

Childcare is important to know but since I can only assume how far along your wife is in the nursing side of all of it, your children may well be in full time kindergarten and childcare won't be necessary by the time to get here which is what Novo is getting at. It is trivial in the grand scheme of things. You see it as being nosy and intrusive whereas more facts tend to get you better more specific answers.

I can only assume that you don't want to answer the questions because they the answers are an anxiety to you and you want to gloss over it and ask the more airy fairy stuff that you only need to concentrate on when you actually have a date and specific job/area in mind. You see it as being negative and disrespectful to your "dream".... If you could appreciate that rather than trying to trample on dreams, I'm trying to say maybe the UK could be a better dream than spending 10,000 on immigration to somewhere that isn't that different to the UK and you might or your wife certainly might find harder than the UK. If you have some secret pot of money or great job and can afford to move back home if it doesn't turn out to be the dream then fab come and risk it.

As I'm sure you'll be glad to know I'm out. I wish your wife luck for various reasons nursing non withstanding.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 2:00 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Two of the hardest trades to immigrate with but two awesome jobs to have in the UK.

As for being a Fire person, don't fire people (PC of me Ehh) have a second trade? Like carpenter or chef? Them being jobs in demand!

As said above, good luck you will need it.

Maybe you should post a new thread regarding your cunning plan?
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

1. Also your refusal to help to answer any nursing questions sort of flies in the face of your answer of "oh I want to help if I can".

As I have explained before, I am currently trying to register as a nurse in Ontario, So yes, I am genuinely interested if your wife as the main breadwinner/immigrant has considered the lack of annual leave, her experience counting for nothing, what stage she is at, when she applied, has she applied for RPN as well as RN etc etc. At this point you will direct me back to your wife, but she doesn't post and unless you don't talk to her 2. then you do know the answers but don't want to help others like me.

3. It is trivial in the grand scheme of things. You see it as being nosy and intrusive whereas more facts tend to get you better more specific answers.

4. I can only assume that you don't want to answer the questions because they the answers are an anxiety to you and you want to gloss over it and ask the more airy fairy stuff that you only need to concentrate on when you actually have a date and specific job/area in mind. You see it as being negative and disrespectful to your "dream".

5. As I'm sure you'll be glad to know I'm out.

6. I wish your wife luck for various reasons nursing non withstanding.
1. I wrote, If I happen to notice a thread/question that I can assist with then I will. I dont actually remember refusing to help you with anything? I do remember not supplying you with the details of what I did for a living or what I planned on doing in Canada. You seemed desperate for that information for some reason? If I remember right that was also off topic of the thread it was in..

2. No I do not know the answers. Why are you obsessed with houndig me about my wife's knowledge / research on nursing? If there is things you are desperate to learn why dont you start a thread asking these specific questions?

3. Trivial to you. Your opinion.

4. "airy fairy". Again, your opinion and slightly insulting. And you can assume all you like.

5. Thank god for that

6. I'm sure you do.

'Mr R' Out
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Take what you need from here, ignore what you feel is rude/antagonistic/sarcastic and follow your plans.
Great advice. I should try harder in future not to get dragged down / into 'banging head against a brick wall' type arguments..
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Two of the hardest trades to immigrate with but two awesome jobs to have in the UK.

As for being a Fire person, don't fire people (PC of me Ehh) have a second trade? Like carpenter or chef? Them being jobs in demand!

As said above, good luck you will need it.

Maybe you should post a new thread regarding your cunning plan?
I dont know where the confusion has came from. To clear it up, we have applied under the fsw program. Through my wife who is a nurse. And we recently gained a PER. So not all the way there in the process of getting PR. But a step closer.

No I'm not a carpenter (though my first job was an apprentice joiner.. )

No I'm not a chef. (Though I am a pretty decent cook. And I was an apprentice butcher for a week when I was about 17, left as I liked the free square sausage's too much and I would have ended up a big fat person if I'd stayed)

Firefighter by the way.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 4:11 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know where the confusion has came from. To clear it up, we have applied under the fsw program. Through my wife who is a nurse. And we recently gained a PER. So not all the way there in the process of getting PR. But a step closer.

No I'm not a carpenter (though my first job was an apprentice joiner.. )

No I'm not a chef. (Though I am a pretty decent cook. And I was an apprentice butcher for a week when I was about 17, left as I liked the free square sausage's too much and I would have ended up a big fat person if I'd stayed)

Firefighter by the way.
Hello Roberto.
I've kept out of your threads previously, because others seemed to have more helpful answers than I could provide. But you do seem to be seriously barking up the wrong tree, here.

You have been told, repeatedly and politely, that nursing and firefighting are two very difficult professions for immigrants to enter in Ontario. The ability of professional organizations and unions (such as govern both firefighting and nursing in Ontario) to influence the process of recognition/reciprocating foreign qualifications is a completely separate issue from the Federally-managed immigration processes.

You may indeed have a PER. This may indeed assist you on your journey towards immigration. What people have persistently been trying to advise you, ask you, warn you about - however you have chosen to receive that advice/question/warning - is that a federal "yes" to permanent residence does not in any way give you a free pass to employment. Tirytory has indicated - and others have backed up her comments - that jumping through the hoops needed to practice as a nurse in Ontario is a time-consuming and soul-destroying process. A search of the forum for "firefighter" will give you a glimpse of how hard a profession that is to break into.

What are you going to do for money when you get here? You will not be able to get a job as a firefighter; your wife will not be able to get a job as a nurse - possibly for more than a year after you arrive - unless you follow some of the advice and hints that have been given to you in this or other threads. One is left to assume that you have healthy savings (or a lottery win, perhaps?) and are happy to live and support your family on those savings until you can find work: if that's the case, then that's wonderful and I'm sure we all wish you the best.

But from everything you've said here and elsewhere I don't think you've thought this through clearly. Asking about what many consider relatively trivial matters, when there's no indication that you will be able to earn a living in Canada, raises some alarm bells. We are here to help you, even if that help comes in the form of asking you to take a reality check on your plans.

Being allowed to immigrate to Canada, having the right to work here, does not come with any guarantees of being able to get a job. You'll be at the back of the line (see threads passim ad nauseam on the "Canadian Experience" issue) and competing against folks who have grown up in Canada.

Good luck to you in your journey, but please don't fall into the trap of dismissing advice that conflicts with the pursuit of your dream.

Oh, and on edit: your snarky response to Magnumpi is unhelpful. You might not be aware that shift patterns in several full-time fire services in Ontario (including Newmarket, where you have expressed an interest in living) mean that most, if not all, professional firefighters have a second trade. Two that I know are general contractors, another is a gigging musician; a fourth is a roofer. They work one 24-hour shift every fifth day, or something like that, amounting to 7 shifts per month, and work on their second job when off duty. That kind of thing might be helpful for you to know....

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jan 2nd 2015 at 4:21 pm. Reason: firefighters' second jobs
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
You have been told, repeatedly and politely, that nursing and firefighting are two very difficult professions for immigrants to enter in Ontario.

You may indeed have a PER. This may indeed assist you on your journey towards immigration. What people have persistently been trying to advise you, ask you, warn you about - however you have chosen to receive that advice/question/warning - is that a federal "yes" to permanent residence does not in any way give you a free pass to employment. Tirytory has indicated - and others have backed up her comments - that jumping through the hoops needed to practice as a nurse in Ontario is a time-consuming and soul-destroying process. A search of the forum for "firefighter" will give you a glimpse of how hard a profession that is to break into.

What are you going to do for money when you get here? You will not be able to get a job as a firefighter; your wife will not be able to get a job as a nurse - possibly for more than a year after you arrive - unless you follow some of the advice and hints that have been given to you in this or other threads. One is left to assume that you have healthy savings (or a lottery win, perhaps?) and are happy to live and support your family on those savings until you can find work: if that's the case, then that's wonderful and I'm sure we all wish you the best.

But from everything you've said here and elsewhere I don't think you've thought this through clearly. Asking about what many consider relatively trivial matters, when there's no indication that you will be able to earn a living in Canada, raises some alarm bells. We are here to help you, even if that help comes in the form of asking you to take a reality check on your plans.

Being allowed to immigrate to Canada, having the right to work here, does not come with any guarantees of being able to get a job. You'll be at the back of the line (see threads passim ad nauseam on the "Canadian Experience" issue) and competing against folks who have grown up in Canada.

Good luck to you in your journey, but please don't fall into the trap of dismissing advice that conflicts with the pursuit of your dream.

Oh, and on edit: your snarky response to Magnumpi is unhelpful. You might not be aware that shift patterns in several full-time fire services in Ontario (including Newmarket, where you have expressed an interest in living) mean that most, if not all, professional firefighters have a second trade. Two that I know are general contractors, another is a gigging musician; a fourth is a roofer. They work one 24-hour shift every fifth day, or something like that, amounting to 7 shifts per month, and work on their second job when off duty. That kind of thing might be helpful for you to know....
My 'snarky' response was tongue in cheek. Its obviously came across wrong.

Look, I appreciate you taking the time to post. But all I want to say finally to yourself and anyone else interested in this drama.

My wife and I really do understand the difficulty in gaining employment in our current professions. We have thought this through once or twice in the past 6 or so years.
We understand having PR does not entitle us to a "free pass to employment" .. Have I ever implied it does?

So I appreciate you all helping us.... Lets move on. This wasn't even my thread lol

Last edited by Roberto1980; Jan 2nd 2015 at 4:42 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Hello Roberto.
I've kept out of your threads previously, because others seemed to have more helpful answers than I could provide. But you do seem to be seriously barking up the wrong tree, here.

You have been told, repeatedly and politely, that nursing and firefighting are two very difficult professions for immigrants to enter in Ontario. The ability of professional organizations and unions (such as govern both firefighting and nursing in Ontario) to influence the process of recognition/reciprocating foreign qualifications is a completely separate issue from the Federally-managed immigration processes.

+1. I know exactly what you are saying here and I know its true, because as all of you know on here I want to move to Malta. I have all my ducks in a row in the way of being allowed to live and work there. (I have a Maltese EU passport) But that doesn't mean i'll be able to get a good job there. I used to have the blinders on and ignore people who told me i wouldn't be able to make it there. But then I realised... I don't know the language and likely won't ever come to understand it fully, I won't have gotten a Maltese education, making my qualifications and situation hard for employers to understand, and the economy down there for really any of the professions I might want to go into is absolutely shit. And i don't really want to make 20k Euro a year for the rest of my life. That I do know.

Canada is by no means the land of milk and honey. You sound like you both have good jobs and a decent income in the UK. You would lose that if you came here. You'd be making basically minimum wage for a period of time. $11/hr is not enough to raise your children on.

There are so many on here who've came to Canada, realised they don't like the lower income, basically realised what they had back in the UK, and they had it good.

Me? I've resolved to probably starting a business [here in Canada] and going "home" 3-4 times a year. That I can live with. The truth hurts but its still there, you can ignore it all you want but it will still be there.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 4:25 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
+1. I know exactly what you are saying here and I know its true, because as all of you know on here I want to move to Malta. I have all my ducks in a row in the way of being allowed to live and work there. (I have a Maltese EU passport) But that doesn't mean i'll be able to get a good job there. I used to have the blinders on and ignore people who told me i wouldn't be able to make it there. But then I realised... I don't know the language and likely won't ever come to understand it fully, I won't have gotten a Maltese education, making my qualifications and situation hard for employers to understand, and the economy down there for really any of the professions I might want to go into is absolutely shit. And i don't really want to make 20k Euro a year for the rest of my life. That I do know.

Canada is by no means the land of milk and honey. You sound like you both have good jobs and a decent income in the UK. You would lose that if you came here. You'd be making basically minimum wage for a period of time. $11/hr is not enough to raise your children on.

There are so many on here who've came to Canada, realised they don't like the lower income, basically realised what they had back in the UK, and they had it good.

Me? I've resolved to probably starting a business [here in Canada] and going "home" 3-4 times a year. That I can live with. The truth hurts but its still there, you can ignore it all you want but it will still be there.
That is a very pragmatic response to your circumstances. Good for you for recognising the situation. The OP says he is aware of the challenges he faces. Maybe they are financially in a good place, in which case a year or two of rebuilding careers and their balance sheet may be perfectly doable. As has been said many many times before, individual situations are unique.Everyone has their own risk threshold.