Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Old Dec 31st 2014, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice
Default Re: Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Originally Posted by magnumpi
The grass is greener here for me, no roller coaster ride (TM Ex Pats), nicer house and it was better for my kid too. So all the usual sayings are true for me.
Up till about right now, economically things have been better for me for the past five years. My wife and kids struggled to fit in with the Canucks though, who I've got to be honest, didn't go out of their way to make anyone feel welcome. Quite the contrary.

But I wasn't expecting things to be all rosy and flower petals either. I just expected to avoid a grinding recession in the UK and in the meanwhile I could put up with being out here.

If things grind down here though, I'm not convinced I'd want to stay. For me if the money is good I can handle all the crap. If it's not, all the annoying little things become massive pains. But that's the same as back home to be honest.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 11:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There are plenty of posters who will take great delight in pissing on your parade but if it is something you have to do then go ahead and do it.

Some people love it and embrace their new life from the off. Some people struggle for a while but eventually settle and prosper. Some people never settle and eventually return to the UK. There is only one way to find out which type you are.
well put ...

Not everyone is able to walk in the shoes of an immigrant, its a 50/50 road & some as you know do it several times before they get it right or never at all.

Its probably the ping-pongers that have the worse time of it so it seems.

to you Roberto1980, its the leap of faith & in doing it, one must not look back. Life's opportunities are what you make them IMO
Old Dec 31st 2014, 11:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Witness Protection Programme.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:12 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neneromanova

I just want to know, what made you want to leave the UK to go to Canada?
for me it was the back end of the 1960's & it just seemed to be the right thing to do at the time. I never waffled about coming, it was all done within 3 mths of the application to Canada House in Liverpool.

Landed in Canada with little money, no friends or relatives here, no job waiting & no place to stay. I/we struggled hardship & adjustment for a while, but overcame it. It changed me lots.

Leaving the UK [the one good thing] has made me a lifetime immigrant - I can say that I can live & adjust to almost any place & never whinge about the weather, food, politics of who is in power, the price of items (well sometimes on that one). because most things are out of my control. Only the things I know that I have control over or change are all that matters or is of importance too me.

My outlook is if it doesn't work for us, then we pick up stakes & move on - something we've done in the past living in a few other countries since first leaving the UK. There is no place perfect even if you had 100% financial security.

People, places, the environment, health & healthcare, personal security & the freedom to come & go without restriction is what its all about for the two of us. Life is filled with adventure one day at a time.

Simple
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by not2old
for me it was the back end of the 1960's...
Right on mate. Excellent post.

In my case I do like the whingeing and moaning though.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:18 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by xxdb

In my case I do like the whingeing and moaning though.
then you must be British
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
I've visited friends in London and Leicester on a few occasions, seen the not so bright lights of Blackpool lol, and travelled enough all over Scotland (worked in Edinburgh for 6 years) to know there isn't anywhere much better id like to live / raise the kids.
My wife has visited friends in Bournemouth. She has also lived in Australia for a year.
Again we have discussed and agreed that there isn't really anywhere in the UK that jumps out to be a desired location. If there was I'm sure it would be well known and sought after.. Where would you suggest that has guaranteed summers, and prosperous (like Canada)?

Look, to be honest. This 'grass is greener' attitude / trap is something I am more than aware of falling into. I admit, a few years ago I may have been guilty of focussing on all the negatives of Scotland, and only the positive of Canada.
But since gaining a PER recently, I've been more realistic and been balancing it out a bit.
Where I am at the moment I've probably been the most settled I've ever been. Apart from itchy feet in my career lol.
Moving from a pokey flat in a not so nice area to a house in a decent area has helped.
The reason to emigrate, which my wife and others use 'its better for the kids' , now I am not so quick to jump on that bandwagon.
I know they can / would have a very nice upbringing here. And once they reach teenage years, well having two daughters I'll be worried sick when they leave for school or 'the town' no matter what bloody country we live in. Peer groups are peer groups no matter what accent they have.

There's plenty more for and against arguments for each reason to emigrate. It could be discussed till were blue in the face.
But after everything, my wife's heart is set on it. And we've came this far. And If certain things were to fall in to place i.e. a career break for myself, let out the house etc then we should at least give it a go, as that is truly the only way we will know if living in Canada is for us. It'll be an adventure if anything!

Go for it ! Make as clean a break with Scotland/UK as you can and give yourself 2-5 years to see if Canada is for you. No matter what you do, there is always the option to return to Britain, for yourselves or your daughters. It's a small world these days.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 3:30 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Go for it ! Make as clean a break with Scotland/UK as you can and give yourself 2-5 years to see if Canada is for you. No matter what you do, there is always the option to return to Britain, for yourselves or your daughters. It's a small world these days.
See....I disagree with this strongly mainly because of reading between the lines of posts. I've read his and his wife's posts from end to end mainly because of a somewhat antagonistic posting style from Mr. R and also because his wife is a nurse trying to register in Ontario. In which I have a vested interest. They've been trying to immigrate for 6yrs according to their posts...

I think there is taking a calculated risk when immigration and anything less well thought out then you risk losing a lot.... And he has two children to think about. This isn't just about him and his wife. If you afford to lose everything and start again back in the UK then great come, give it a go, but not many can claim that. As we know immigration and registration of a job and ability to work are two entirely different things.

Now he doesn't need to answer the questions about whether it is just his wife who they are basing their immigration on, about her job, his job etc but I wonder if his repeated refusals on various posts to answer questions about his job etc etc indicate that their plans are flawed and they don't want this pointed out to them..

I wouldn't want to be immigrating on my job as a nurse to within commutervile of Toronto....

Last edited by Tirytory; Jan 1st 2015 at 3:34 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 6:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
See....I disagree with this strongly mainly because of reading between the lines of posts. I've read his and his wife's posts from end to end mainly because of a somewhat antagonistic posting style from Mr. R and also because his wife is a nurse trying to register in Ontario. In which I have a vested interest. They've been trying to immigrate for 6yrs according to their posts...

I think there is taking a calculated risk when immigration and anything less well thought out then you risk losing a lot.... And he has two children to think about. This isn't just about him and his wife. If you afford to lose everything and start again back in the UK then great come, give it a go, but not many can claim that. As we know immigration and registration of a job and ability to work are two entirely different things.

Now he doesn't need to answer the questions about whether it is just his wife who they are basing their immigration on, about her job, his job etc but I wonder if his repeated refusals on various posts to answer questions about his job etc etc indicate that their plans are flawed and they don't want this pointed out to them..

I wouldn't want to be immigrating on my job as a nurse to within commutervile of Toronto....
It is calculated risk, agree with that, and I assumed that he and his wife at least had that aspect sorted. On reading a couple of posts, it seemed he was very disheartened with prospects in Britain (too much so, in reality) and had invested quite a bit of time into the Cabadian dream. In situations like that, I think it's best to give it a go or you always end up wondering "what if" and feeling like you gave up on a dream. But as you say, with a family, work aspects are of paramount importance and should be fully understood before taking the plunge.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooft. Where do I start lol. Em, I'm intrigued as to why you feel the need to read my and my wife's posts "from end to end"?... What is the big interest? If it is a nursing query then as I think I stated in a response to you before, I'll let my wife answer anything on that subject.

Antagonistic? I don't see why you feel the need to call me that. If you feel I have been hostile in any way then that's honestly not been my intention.

I do however admit to have been a little evasive in regards to some of the questions you have thrown at me / us.
I've been a tad stubborn in that sense as (I mean this respectfully) It isn't really any of your business.. I don't see why I, or anyone else on this forum has to disclose everything about themselves if they choose not to..
It has nothing to do with us worrying about our plans being flawed?...

But as you said, "he doesn't haven't answer the questions" so we can put that one to bed. lol

I'd like to point out that I don't come on this forum in the little spare time I get between peppa pig cartoons and cleaning porridge off the floor after my 2 kids to get involved in lengthy debates with random people!

I try and use it for what it is, a place capable of gathering useful tips / info from people who have been through the immigration process.

'Mr R'

Last edited by Roberto1980; Jan 1st 2015 at 7:41 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 9:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooft. Where do I start lol. Em, I'm intrigued as to why you feel the need to read my and my wife's posts "from end to end"?... What is the big interest? If it is a nursing query then as I think I stated in a response to you before, I'll let my wife answer anything on that subject.

Antagonistic? I don't see why you feel the need to call me that. If you feel I have been hostile in any way then that's honestly not been my intention.

I do however admit to have been a little evasive in regards to some of the questions you have thrown at me / us.
I've been a tad stubborn in that sense as (I mean this respectfully) It isn't really any of your business.. I don't see why I, or anyone else on this forum has to disclose everything about themselves if they choose not to..
It has nothing to do with us worrying about our plans being flawed?...

But as you said, "he doesn't haven't answer the questions" so we can put that one to bed. lol

I'd like to point out that I don't come on this forum in the little spare time I get between peppa pig cartoons and cleaning porridge off the floor after my 2 kids to get involved in lengthy debates with random people!

I try and use it for what it is, a place capable of gathering useful tips / info from people who have been through the immigration process.

'Mr R'
Isn't that the point though? You come to ask questions from which you could glean seriously good advice and yet when others ask you questions to help point you in the right direction, you have answered with sarcasm or I'm only joking responses or it's none of your business....well ok then but don't ask.

I have gained a serious amount of knowledge from this forum from asking direct questions to then answering questions asked of me. I also get a lot out of just reading others posts from which they disclose information and others answers. It helps everyone on this immigration process. I very much hope that I have been able to able to give back help from my husband's immigration process also as much like your wife he doesn't post on here (so I can only ask you about your wife and her nursing process). Like I said I'm interested in nursing because I am going through the process myself.

I guess you get out of this forum what you put into it. I can't imagine you have failed to notice that your evasiveness has annoyed others on the forum too. I think Chrisoompa is a bloomin Saint the way she patiently said the same things over and over to you on Kaywala threads which predominantly writes as you anyway and rarely as your wife.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Why has a 6+ months old thread been resurrected?
Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't see why I, or anyone else on this forum has to disclose everything about themselves if they choose not to.

Old Jan 1st 2015, 11:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

the way that I see it, BE is a community of knowledgeable ex-pats & for those aimed to be one. Although I left the UK 48 years ago, I have learned lots from others on all sorts of topics - at the same time I believe that I have contributed & shared also.

'Mr R'
from the above quote

sums it up in the quote below

I have gained a serious amount of knowledge from this forum from asking direct questions to then answering questions asked of me. I also get a lot out of just reading others posts from which they disclose information and others answers. It helps everyone on this immigration process. I very much hope that I have been able to able to give back help from my husband's immigration process.

I guess you get out of this forum what you put into it.
IMO, it doesn't have to be challenging or a personal attack - live & let live.

Someone wants to ask a question, I think the best we in the BE community can do [for those that have gone down the road] is to provide the help & support as best we can.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
On the other hand when someone asks a question previously asked there are usually complaints about a duplicate question.

Obviously someone could look for a previous thread and then read through it but things do change, people may feel differently about something they said in a previous thread and then, of course, there's likely a fair number of new members in the last six months who may want to add their contribution.

Resurrecting an existing thread allows a sight of both old comments and new ones to be made. It doesn't seem such an odd thing to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.