Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Homesick Canadian
That's an excellent point. Every single British person I meet tells me that they want to emigrate to Canada, have a friend who did it and loves it, etc. The Brits I've met in Canada seem to love it. So I definitely think a fair bit of the opinions here are biased.
An opinion cant be biased, by definition

"a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

There are plenty that have found canada to their taste, plenty that havent and many that have no clue at all as to what its like to live here who would like to give it a go based on nothing more than what they have seen in the media and the fact that its not where they are now. There are those who are blind to its faults, and those that see only its faults and many in between.

Ive met brits in canada that didnt like it, and then did, and brits in canada that did like it, and then didnt. One size definitely does not fit all. Thats the thing about opinions, everyone has one, and they can change over time too.

I think a lot of how you find Canada is dependent on your expectations and the circumstances that bring you here.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 25th 2014 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Homesick Canadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
An opinion cant be biased, by definition
We can agree to disagree! The argument of everything being relative can be applied to anything and just winds up leading to cyclical debating. I definitely feel opinions can be biased, it's a matter of basic logic. Unless someone is so broad minded as to weigh both sides of an argument equally, without slanting in one direction for personal or financial gains, or even just out of general emotionality (e.g. home sickness, haha). Media are a prime example of biased opinion. Anything dogmatic - religion and science - is always biased. It's only when we marry all sides of an argument objectively that we can say something is truly unbiased, and that's a rarity! Special when you see it, but still rare. Fingers crossed we take the next evolutionary leap soon.

Last edited by Homesick Canadian; Jul 25th 2014 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

We can agree to disagree! The argument of everything being relative can be applied to anything and just winds up leading to cyclical debating. I definitely feel opinions can be biased, it's a matter of basic logic. Unless someone is so broad minded as to weigh both sides of an argument equally, without slanting in one direction for personal or financial gains, or even just out of general emotionality (e.g. home sickness, haha). Media are a prime example of biased opinion. Anything dogmatic - religion and science - is always biased. It's only when we marry all sides of an argument objectively that we can say something is truly unbiased, and that's a rarity! Special when you see it, but still rare. Fingers crossed we take the next evolutionary leap soon.
An opinion cant be biased because it opinion, based on an individuals experiences and perception, not based on fact.

It can be different to your opinion, thats all. It would be a very boring world indeed if everyone thought and felt the same things.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

One reason I'm hesitant to raise children here is the obvious racism/prejudice, as this poster illustrated despite having taken his/hers across the pond.
This is wrong, btw. My children were born in Ontario. Long gone now, of course.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You win the prize for most offensive, prejudice comments I've ever read. Now I remember why I don't frequent forums.

Tattoos? Drug addiction? Oh, the horror! Please teach us your ways, oh Exalted Perfect One. Shed light on how you've gotten through life so pristinely, pleeease.

What you're referring to with your disgusting description is called the poverty epidemic, the physical manifestation of which takes different forms depending on the cultural context, i.e. the country you're in. Anyone moving to Canada to escape chavs, thinking there aren't any rude + poor people in Canada, is simply delusional. We have our version of poor people, no different to the UK. Our version of chavs are different to the British ones, I've never been harassed by any of them and there seems to be markedly less hatred/anger. You won't be shouted at if you walk by that particular demographic, whereas here they seem to want to intimidate everyone if they're looked at the wrong way. Then again, that can happen in any pub anyway according to what all the men I know say, so it seems there's just more pent up passive aggression in this country in general. One reason I'm hesitant to raise children here is the obvious racism/prejudice, as this poster illustrated despite having taken his/hers across the pond.
I was approached quite aggressively this morning by four Canadian "poor people" who were drinking openly ion public in a nice part of town, next to a popular student bus stop. TBH they were pretty lucky as it could of turned out quite badly for them but I contacted the local plod instead and to their credit they came rather quickly and made them move to less conspicuous place. But I suspect six more of these charmingly polite Canadians will be back there tomorrow hurling drunken abuse at the public.

Last edited by Oink; Jul 25th 2014 at 8:37 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:02 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I was approached quite aggressively this morning by four Canadian "poor people" who were drinking openly ion public in a nice part of town, next to a popular student bus stop. TBH they were pretty lucky as it could of turned out quite badly for them but I contacted the local plod instead and to their credit they came rather quickly and made them move to less conspicuous place. But I suspect six more of these charmingly polite Canadians will be back there tomorrow hurling drunken abuse at the public.
TBH The homeless in DTES do seem to be getting a little more aggressive. Im not sure if its an influx of younger ones ? I go thru that area and The drive regularly. The regular panhandlers are polite and usually fairly happy,will chat etc but there definitely seems to be an undercurrent now.

I noticed that the "poor Canadians" in edmonton were definitely more aggressive than in Van - maybe they don't smoke enough ?
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
TBH The homeless in DTES do seem to be getting a little more aggressive. Im not sure if its an influx of younger ones ? I go thru that area and The drive regularly. The regular panhandlers are polite and usually fairly happy,will chat etc but there definitely seems to be an undercurrent now.

I noticed that the "poor Canadians" in edmonton were definitely more aggressive than in Van - maybe they don't smoke enough ?
This wasn't in the DTES area, it was on W. Broadway next to a smart supermarket and new condominium building.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever considered moving to Canada? I think you'd fit in well.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:59 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

This wasn't in the DTES area, it was on W. Broadway next to a smart supermarket and new condominium building.
What were you doing south of False Creek???
Old Jul 25th 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
What were you doing south of False Creek???
Ho ho. I'm not unsympathetic to homeless, poverty or addiction but I draw the line when you use these issues as an excuse to assault the public.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 11:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The larger the city the more likely any such incident, don't you agree? An infinite number of rednecks shooting shotguns at road signs will sooner or later write War and Peace in braille.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 11:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Ho ho. I'm not unsympathetic to homeless, poverty or addiction but I draw the line when you use these issues as an excuse to assault the public.
"#### the homeless, what have they ever done for Israel?'
Rodney Dangerfield
Old Jul 26th 2014, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Have you ever considered moving to Canada? I think you'd fit in well.
She's Canadian, and wants to move back. (she's in UK right now) No wonder she hasn't fit in there.........
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
An opinion cant be biased because it opinion, based on an individuals experiences and perception, not based on fact.

It can be different to your opinion, thats all. It would be a very boring world indeed if everyone thought and felt the same things.
I think some opinions are more closely held than others thpugh - and a biased one in particular doesn't open to alternative 'facts' or opinions so well
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:35 am
half a century

Originally Posted by Gozit
She's Canadian, and wants to move back. (she's in UK right now) No wonder she hasn't fit in there.........
I think Jing was being sarcastic !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.