Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:43 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you choose to move to Canada?

I quite enjoy the 4-5 months of snow and ice.

And my wife is Canadian
Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Some may find this bizarre, but I really like the UK weather. Obviously, the long, hot sunny days of summer are wonderful, but I also really enjoy the cool, grey days and even the rain.

The best, and worst, thing about British weather is that it's so changeable.

I like the fact that you don't need AC in the summer, and you can switch your heating off before you go to bed in winter, safe in the knowledge that you won't freeze to death in your bed. You can sit outside in the evening without being easten alive by mosquitoes, and you don't need to shovel snow.
Yeah, I absolutely loved walking to and from Canons Park tube station in July in the drizzle.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You can sit outside in the evening without being easten alive by mosquitoes, and you don't need to shovel snow.
Ah, bliss.....
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:46 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jingsamichty;11340514]The best, and worst, thing about British weather is that it's so changeable.

QUOTE]
Yup, enjoyable days out at Legoland with the kids bringing clothing for every conceivable change - warm coat, rain coat, cardy, wellies, trainers, sandals, sunscreen, leggings, shorts etc etc

We went through them all in one day sometimes it was so changeable, and often unpredictable.. .and how many Legoland and other trips were actually cancelled on the day due to rain, again.
But its ok - you can while away the time in those hideous indoor play areas with overpriced horrible food, sticky floors and chavy kids....
Old Jul 18th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
The best, and worst, thing about British weather is that it's so changeable.
Yup, enjoyable days out at Legoland with the kids bringing clothing for every conceivable change - warm coat, rain coat, cardy, wellies, trainers, sandals, sunscreen, leggings, shorts etc etc

We went through them all in one day sometimes it was so changeable, and often unpredictable.. .and how many Legoland and other trips were actually cancelled on the day due to rain, again.
But its ok - you can while away the time in those hideous indoor play areas with overpriced horrible food, sticky floors and chavy kids....
I vividly remember my last trip home to Northern Ireland with my kids. I think we saw all 4 seasons on the same trip. One day, it was absolutely chucking it down as we drove through Belfast on the way to visit the Giant's Causeway. My kids were all for abandoning the trip but my brother-in-law told them we'd be OK as the weather can be completely different when we get there. The kids didn't seem convinced. Sure enough, the rain and clouds cleared and it was gloriously sunny for our visit.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:22 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yeah, I absolutely loved walking to and from Canons Park tube station in July in the drizzle.
Unless you carried your own dark cloud with you, I doubt you had to do that every day in July, every year.

I'm sure there were some February days you could have done it in shorts and t-shirt.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Crazyhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's important to flag up that this forum is likely to raise negative stories and I find it disproportional to how people generally feel when they immigrate. The majority will move and never look back. If you struggle or want some support, they turn to resources such as this.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Within 300 yards of this desk there are now certainly twenty, probably fifty, tattooed people with no obvious means of support, many of whom have the sunken cheeks and rotted teeth associated with meth use. Some prostitute themselves, many beg, all spit a lot. Hooded garments are prevalent even in this weather. They may, of course, be the only chavs in Canada.
Sounds like you have some interesting co-workers there, dbd!
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Or, you could just man up and get on with it. I can't think of a single time rain has made me change my plans in the UK (and I've never taken anything other than a picnic to Legoland), I've never been to indoor play, and my children are outside whether it's 30 degrees and sunny like this week has been, or chucking it down with rain!

Still, our days out in the rain are obviously quieter because of people that change their plans and go to soft play, so that works for me.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Sounds like you have some interesting co-workers there, dbd!
I doubt he meant co-workers but rather street people.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I doubt he meant co-workers but rather street people.
Well yes, but we shouldn't make a hard distinction. It was a co-worker I tried to pull from the Don Jail to go to a technical conference only to find they'd lost him in the system.

Anyone remember Kirsty MacColl?

From an uptown apartment to a knife on the A train
It's not that far
From the sharks in the penthouse to the rats in the basement
It's not that far
Old Jul 19th 2014, 4:21 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Or, you could just man up and get on with it. I can't think of a single time rain has made me change my plans in the UK (and I've never taken anything other than a picnic to Legoland), I've never been to indoor play, and my children are outside whether it's 30 degrees and sunny like this week has been, or chucking it down with rain!

Still, our days out in the rain are obviously quieter because of people that change their plans and go to soft play, so that works for me.
I just found it miserable being soggy all day, nothing to do with manning up. If I am paying money to go to a park then I want to enjoy it
Old Jul 19th 2014, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I just found it miserable being soggy all day, nothing to do with manning up. If I am paying money to go to a park then I want to enjoy it
Fair enough, different strokes for different folks. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact my favourite time to walk the dog is in the rain! We're just a very outdoorsy family, and weather doesn't change that.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact my favourite time to walk the dog is in the rain! We're just a very outdoorsy family, and weather doesn't change that.
Quite. Besides which I think we've walked around as many forests, parks and beaches in the rain in Canada as we did in Scotland. If the weather stops you, then there must be better places to go than Canada. Plus it's decidedly uncomfortable to wear a waterproof when it's hot and raining!
Old Jul 19th 2014, 7:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of a single time rain has made me change my plans in the UK
I can. I'm in Coventry now (in short a shit hole with a Cathedral worth visiting) en route to Portsmouth-Cherbourg and home tomorrow. While in the Cathedral this afternoon the proverbial heavens opened and deluges flowed in the place of our Lord.

At this point, I'd already had enough of that dreadful Graham Sutherland and was looking forward to popping out to see the brilliant Jacob Epstein.

The dramatic downpour accompanied by biblical claps of thunder and celestial lightening, prompted me to claim Sanctuary in the Cathedral for a good half hour.

I mean, really!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.