Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Originally Posted by neneromanova
I like the sound of 4 different seasons and not just continuous rain.
Three seasons.
Winter, summer, fall.

Unless you count 'construction' season.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:06 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

so what happens when they come home with homework and I can't help them as it's in french/german etc as i can't speak other languages. It's like they go in one ear and other other. My brain has an aversion to learning and storing languages
My kids are in "French Immersion" schooling here. My French is pants and my better halfs non existent.

My kid won the French prize in class this year, despite the presence of native french speakers!

I guess Im saying that it not that big a deal.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:13 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

My reasons for moving to Canada:------I had retired in the UK and wanted a new base from which to explore North America and it turned out that obtaining a visa to live in Canada was the easiest way of doing this...
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
My kids are in "French Immersion" schooling here. My French is pants and my better halfs non existent.

My kid won the French prize in class this year, despite the presence of native french speakers!

I guess Im saying that it not that big a deal.
My wife and I are the exact same....our children are 17 and 13. The 17 year old (daughter) just finished high school and graduated with very high marks (although I do find marks in general are inflated here), the french immersion certification and an international certificate. They started in french immersion in kindergarten and by about grade 1 or 2 they were ahead of my wife and I.

To deny your children the opportunity to learn another language because you couldn't or didn't have the opportunity is quite short sighted.

I know this has been discussed before, but here in Ottawa, the better children academically tend to gravitate towards french immersion.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for that. Never been called short sighted before.

I don't want to move to Europe. I want to move to either Canada or America. Hubby doesn't want to go to America so we both agree on Canada. That's why I'm on the Canadian section. If they can learn french in school or part of an immersion programme then fair enough. But I'm not living in a country where I can't speak the language and having no friends there. (I find it hard enough to make friends as it is, I don't want to add a language barrier into the mix)

Thanks to everyone who commented about why they moved to Canada A lot of your reasons are the same as I've been thinking (Entitled to behaviour and Chav attitudes. etc)
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who commented about why they moved to Canada A lot of your reasons are the same as I've been thinking (Entitled to behaviour and Chav attitudes. etc)
Within 300 yards of this desk there are now certainly twenty, probably fifty, tattooed people with no obvious means of support, many of whom have the sunken cheeks and rotted teeth associated with meth use. Some prostitute themselves, many beg, all spit a lot. Hooded garments are prevalent even in this weather. They may, of course, be the only chavs in Canada.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

On the education thing, bright children can pick up languages easily if they are immersed in them. Not all. Some have a limited capacity to retain and use vocabulary. Learning a second language will halve their vocabulary in each.

To the OP. Canada is a foreign country. If is different. Some of the differences you will enjoy. Some you won't. Are you the kind of person who can focus on the differences you enjoy and minimize those you don't? Or are you the type of person who finds change difficult and will spend their time fretting about the differences you don't enjoy?

If the former then come on over, have some new experiences, have some fun. It does not have to be forever. If the latter be aware that you may be miserable for a while.

[Edited to add] I think this personality trait is much more important and more indicative of whether or not moving to Canada will suit you. More so that the number of chavs.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jul 17th 2014 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:30 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
On the education thing, bright children can pick up languages easily if they are immersed in them. Not all. Some have a limited capacity to retain and use vocabulary. Learning a second language will halve their vocabulary in each.
I shudder to think how many words she would know if she hadnt done immersion then!

To the OP. Canada is a foreign country. If is different. Some of the differences you will enjoy. Some you won't. Are you the kind of person who can focus on the differences you enjoy and minimize those you don't? Or are you the type of person who finds change difficult and will spend their time fretting about the differences you don't enjoy?

If the former then come on over, have some new experiences, have some fun. It does not have to be forever. If the latter be aware that you may be miserable for a while.

[Edited to add] I think this personality trait is much more important and more indicative of whether or not moving to Canada will suit you. More so that the number of chavs.
I think this is a very good point. Its easy to overlook the fact that you will have a lot to learn, and in part maybe thats because there is a shared language and maybe you assume its not going to be all that different.

Then the little things start to annoy you and its downhill all the way to the airport after that.

Attitude and expectations play a big part in that, as does understanding why it is you want to put yourself through this move in the first place.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

On the education thing, bright children can pick up languages easily if they are immersed in them. Not all. Some have a limited capacity to retain and use vocabulary.
Unless there's a serious physical or learning disability, every kid I know was able to pick up a language via immersion regardless of how bright they were.

Learning a second language will halve their vocabulary in each.
Where did you get that from? Multiple studies have shown that learning a second language actually improves your English.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:44 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do not consider Southern Ontario.
+1
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks for that. Never been called short sighted before.

I don't want to move to Europe. I want to move to either Canada or America. Hubby doesn't want to go to America so we both agree on Canada. That's why I'm on the Canadian section. If they can learn french in school or part of an immersion programme then fair enough. But I'm not living in a country where I can't speak the language and having no friends there. (I find it hard enough to make friends as it is, I don't want to add a language barrier into the mix)

It's all well and good cooking up these dreams with your husband but immigration is no stroll in the park.

Can you actually get into Canada or the US? I suggest you look into that first and then do some proper research and come back with decent questions.

The last thing you want to do is subject your children to an ill thought out fantasy.

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 17th 2014 at 8:15 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do not consider Southern Ontario.
You could only really say that about the GTA.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:36 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here purely for sex. I could just as easily have gone to Cambodia, had the same bird been involved.

Having access to a GP might be nice but I can't remember the last time I needed one.

I am a bit beyond needing to worry about the education system.

My backstabbing neighbour has the key to my house. She'll be using it lots over the next couple of weeks when we're not here (looking after my cat). Another neighbour, a teenager, flatly refused to take any money off me for mowing my grass while I'm not here.

Backstabbing bastards, the lot of them!
Old Jul 18th 2014, 12:19 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I moved here purely for sex. I could just as easily have gone to Cambodia, had the same bird been involved.

Having access to a GP might be nice but I can't remember the last time I needed one.

I am a bit beyond needing to worry about the education system.

My backstabbing neighbour has the key to my house. She'll be using it lots over the next couple of weeks when we're not here (looking after my cat). Another neighbour, a teenager, flatly refused to take any money off me for mowing my grass while I'm not here.

Backstabbing bastards, the lot of them!
Not sure if I'd move for sex or not but the night is young!
Old Jul 18th 2014, 12:41 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I was just about to say that, my 9 year old gets homework that is beyond me sometimes, whether it is in English or French would make absolutely no difference!
Me too in spades!

Our son was born in France and spent all his Primary school years there, we are a bi-lingual family generally, I would like to think, but even so moving to Canada, albeit to a French school, with an 11 year old, wasn't simple.

If 'you' want it to succeed it will do, but if you drag your feet and hesitate and hate it, then kids pick up on it PDQ. You don't 'vaguely' think of this sort of move once you have children, you do it flat out as a family, or not at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.