Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why did you choose to move to Canada?

We can't move to Europe as it wouldn't be fair on the kids education.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neneromanova
I'm confused, why would that be detrimental to their education, but a Canadian education would be ok?

I'd move to Europe in a shot specifically for that reason (and even more specifically, for the opportunity for the kids to have fluency in another language), I'm intrigued as to why you think schooling in Europe wouldn't be fair on their education?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, Devon is lovely for about 3 weeks of the year. Most of the year its like this:

Or just grey and miserable...
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

With the greatest respect, that's nonsense.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm confused, why would that be detrimental to their education, but a Canadian education would be ok?

I'd move to Europe in a shot specifically for that reason (and even more specifically, for the opportunity for the kids to have fluency in another language), I'm intrigued as to why you think schooling in Europe wouldn't be fair on their education?
Because they wouldn't be able to understand the language straight away and the UK is in a much better position than any of the EU. The EU is ******.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Because they wouldn't be able to understand the language straight away
So give them a couple of months and then voila, they're bilingual! Massive positive imo.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

so what happens when they come home with homework and I can't help them as it's in french/german etc as i can't speak other languages. It's like they go in one ear and other other. My brain has an aversion to learning and storing languages
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Because they wouldn't be able to understand the language straight away
But they'd be learning a new one a hell of a lot faster than they would in a UK classroom.

and the UK is in a much better position than any of the EU. The EU is ******.
That's debatable.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So give them a couple of months and then voila, they're bilingual! Massive positive imo.
A colleague has just taken a job in Toulouse or, as he would say, "Toulouse, France", in large part so the children in the family will acquire French. I'm rather looking forward to hearing their revised accents as they speak southern State American now; they really will say "Bonjour, y'all".
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

so what happens when they come home with homework and I can't help them as it's in french/german etc as i can't speak other languages. It's like they go in one ear and other other. My brain has an aversion to learning and storing languages
How do you know?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You learned English, didn't you? The problem with learning languages is that the traditional methods don't work very well - especially if you're not using the language every day. You'd do fine with language immersion which is how you learned English after all.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine outran me in French, German and Maths by the age of twelve. There was no point in trying to compete so we hired tutors.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
Mine outran me in French, German and Maths by the age of twelve. There was no point in trying to compete so we hired tutors.
I was just about to say that, my 9 year old gets homework that is beyond me sometimes, whether it is in English or French would make absolutely no difference!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:37 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that they just don't want to live in Europe?
Each to their own and all that....
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Could it be that they just don't want to live in Europe?
Each to their own and all that....
Sure...but to say that you can't do it because the kids won't understand the language right away seems a weak excuse. Kids pick up languages fast when immersed in them. That's how they are built.

Now, if you don't want to do it because you can't be arsed learning the language yourself or you just don't want to do it at all, then fair enough.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 17th 2014 at 6:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.