Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Why did you choose to move to Canada?

Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you choose to move to Canada?

I'm in the US but we expats often have motivations like getting a bigger house but then have to drive long distances to do anything. Could actually have moved to a bigger house out of town in the UK. Or feel bored and fancy a change, then realize there's actually just as much to do in UK/Europe, if not more.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neneromanova
How come?
As others have said, it's relatively heavily populated.

If you can find work outside the GTA, as I have, then it might work. In our case we're on 10 acres, next to many acres of conservation area, 30 minutes from a medium sized town (Orangeville) and 90 minutes, on a weekend, from the centre of Toronto (which I define as the Olympic cheese stand in the St. Lawrence Market). It's hard to see though what could be gained by moving here from Devon except cheap property and the consequent monetary benefits. It's a bloody long way to the Tate and farther still to Paris. You'd be giving up "culture", friends and family for a bigger bathroom.

In answer to the original question, we came because it's a bilingual country. In that regard coming here was an unequivocal success.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

GrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Agreed, those were my reasons for leaving the UK too
I agree with everything you have said, we live just outside of Toronto and I don't find it anymore expensive than the u.k.
I enjoy the 4 seasons and the outdoor lifestyle, it would cost a fortune for a day out in England, even a walk in the woods you have to pay for parking lol.
As far as not seeing all you want to see in Europe, think of all you can see in this Beautiful Country, not to mention trips over the border.

Ask yourself this, if you dont try it, will you spend your lifetime asking...what if....
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

For a change. Post uni lived 10 yrs in Yorkshire, 10yrs in Scotland and then came here. Live in rural part of York region (edge of GTA) and like it. But then I liked the UK too. Wouldn't have come 'for the kids', as they were happy and had a good life, but then they're the same here. But wouldn't have come if they'd have been worse off either.

GP - took us 18months to find one, but managed fine with walk-in clinics until then (GP is Sri Lankan and was surprised we'd emigrated, couldn't understand the reason to trade one 1st world country for another)

School- just like in the Uk kids have had mostly good teachers. Schools seem larger here, and classes are larger esp in secondary school than in rural Scotland

People- are friendly. I read the forums as saying Canadians are difficult to get close to, rather than two-faced. Don't know if this is true as I'm not interested in living in other peoples pockets.

I'll shut up now as this is a bit long!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrandmaLynn
even a walk in the woods you have to pay for parking lol.
Really? Things have changed I guess. On the other hand there are a lot more public rights of way to walk on in the UK...

There is no use shying from the fact that the weather is necessarily going to be a huge factor in this decision. You have to be happy with dealing with a large contrast between summer and winter in most of Canada. If you are outdoorsy then its either the we(s)t coast, or changing up your outside activities depending on what season it is. If you want to golf or walk year round, then most of Canada is not going to be for you.

As for the friends thing... I would think that if you moved one end of the UK to the other and started from scratch it would be no walk in the park to make a whole new circle of friends as an adult either. You may be looking for new friends, but the people around you have no great need, they have a group they are comfortable with already and are not necessarily going to be looking for new members, so I expect its hard no matter where you go. People will be civil of course, but its not easy to make lasting connections without some common experiences.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 17th 2014 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
On the other hand there are a lot more public rights of way to walk on in the UK...

There is no use shying from the fact that the weather is a huge factor in this decision. You have to be happy with dealing with a large contrast between summer and winter in most of Canada. If you are outdoorsy then its either the we(s)t coast, or changing up your outside activities depending on what season it is. If you want to golf or walk year round, then most of Canada is not going to be for you.
I agree with the theme of this post but where can one not walk year round and in which season is it not possible?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I agree with the theme of this post but where can one not walk year round and in which season is it not possible?
Its not much fun when its -20 and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. At least two of the local conservation areas we normally walk are gated off during the winter.

Then again its not much fun when its 38°C and the sweat is dripping off you with the 98% sthumidity and a cloud of blackfly is chasing you around either.

Fall is nice though...
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Its not much fun when its -20 and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. At least two of the local conservation areas we normally walk are gated off during the winter.

Then again its not much fun when its 38°C and the sweat is dripping off you with the 98% sthumidity and a cloud of blackfly is chasing you around either.

Fall is nice though...
Oh yes, who would want to leave Devon for that?

Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Its not much fun when its -20 and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Then again its not much fun when its 38°C with the sthumidity and a cloud of blackfly chasing you around either.

Fall is nice though...
Well, yes, you can't go into the woods in the summer nor the fields in winter but, with route adaptation, there's always somewhere adequate to walk the dog. I suppose the major difference in regard to walking is that the UK has an extensive network of public paths whereas in Canada one is expected to buy the ground before using it.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Fall is nice though...
That's subjective and many people would disagree. Many people enjoy that sort of thing.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

sthumidity
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neneromanova

The climate would be a big selling point for me. I LOVE warm weather. I also love snow Also I think the girls would like it, being able to go hiking in mountains as opposed to hills.

But the big negative is the fact we'll be further away from the European countries I haven't visited yet.

I just wish someone would tell me what to do
Have you considered moving to one of the European countries that you have already visited?

I'm visiting the Scottish Borders (Melrose to be exact) with my sisters and staying in a very nice hotel here. At dinner last night the conversation inevitably got around to comparisons between the UK and Canada. When asked the average house price in Canada it occurred to me to explain the vapidity of the question by asking in turn, what's the average house price in Europe?

Aside from the dubious advantage of Canada being a nominally english speaking country, you can find the warm weather, the cold weather, the wide open spaces the back country, the mountains and the big bustling cities in Europe, all much closer to each other than they are in Canada.

As AtlanticXpat said, you need to have a very specific reason (e.g. a much better paid job and a bullet proof way of getting a visa of one sort or another, before seriously considering Canada.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Aside from the dubious advantage of Canada being a nominally english speaking country, you can find the warm weather, the cold weather, the wide open spaces the back country, the mountains and the big bustling cities in Europe, all much closer to each other than they are in Canada.
Not to mention that you dont need to go through the hassle and expense of satisfying CIC that you should be allowed in!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
That's subjective and many people would disagree. Many people enjoy that sort of thing.
Name three

I love the seasons here, but if Im going in the woods in February, its will be on X-C skis, and if Im out in July it will be on my bike to increase the chances I can outrun the insects!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:04 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Biting insects do cast a downer on summertime

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.