Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why did you choose Canada and is it what you hoped it would be?

Why did you choose Canada and is it what you hoped it would be?

Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:50 am
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why did you choose Canada and is it what you hoped it would be?

Originally Posted by Harrisonasa
Hi everyone.
Im interested to get as many perspectives as possible.

What was your reason(s) for choosing Canada?
Did you have it shortlisted with anywhere else?
What part did you move to amd why?
And did it/has it lived up to your expectation? Do you feel you have found what you were looking for and feel at home?
Thanks. sorry for the 'test', I am trying to get as much research done as possible.

(I hope I got the right section this time)
1 - cheaper, calmer, safer, cleaner, life-work balance, relaxed, pretty, french...that was the motivation anyway and what we thought would be the meaning of living here.
2 - moved to Toronto because we had some connections and wanted to be relatively close to Europe (vs BC or Alberta say..) Also thought Toronto can offer more culture and interest than other parts of the country.
3 - No. A bit disappointed actually. We work hard, not a serious work-life balance, its expensive, properties are insanely ugly and overpriced, its all a bit backwards and lazy, boring, nothing too exciting ever happen, never hear the news about the world anymore. Feeling bored and isolated and we want to go home.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 2:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phr1
never hear the news about the world anymore.
I don't feel this at all. I have the radio in the car tuned to the BBC World Service (via Sirius) and I read the Gruniad online. To me, it doesn't matter that the Canadian news sources think that "world" means Canada+Buffalo.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 3:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't feel this at all. I have the radio in the car tuned to the BBC World Service (via Sirius) and I read the Gruniad online. To me, it doesn't matter that the Canadian news sources think that "world" means Canada+Buffalo.
I couldn't agree more. I find it amusing that dorks like Evan Soloman on CBC Newsworld are always rabbiting on about how (e.g.) Canada should respond to what's going on in Ukraine.

As if anyone outside Canada (and outside a tiny minority within Canada) gives a shit.

So I read international newspapers online.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks......really a mixed bag of pros and cons. It is a lot to consider. Thank you. The cons are a bit worrying but I guess we won't know if we have the same cons without trying.....it's a gamble ovbviously
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I couldn't agree more. I find it amusing that dorks like Evan Soloman on CBC Newsworld are always rabbiting on about how (e.g.) Canada should respond to what's going on in Ukraine.

As if anyone outside Canada (and outside a tiny minority within Canada) gives a shit.

I'm bombarded with news from the Ukraine, thanks to a continuing Facebook friendship with Anchorage from GU. Uselessly, it's nearly all in Russian.

What I don't get is news of Canada, if anything's happended in Canada lately it hasn't made the BBC.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I have world service on Sirius in the car too. The international papers are all online too. Canada has very little international news or impact that I can see; but that's fine. It always struck me that Britain presumptuously stuck its nose into far more affairs than necessary.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I have world service on Sirius in the car too. The international papers are all online too. Canada has very little international news or impact that I can see; but that's fine. It always struck me that Britain presumptuously stuck its nose into far more affairs than necessary.
Oh, it's the same almost everywhere. All countries are self obsessed. I think one of the major advantages multiply mobile expats derive is that they have the opportunity to see through and reject the brainwashing.

Aside from the US, I think Canada is the most blatant example of this and at least the US has a recent history of having substantial influence on world events.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Once Canada has introduced Tim Hortons to a few more countries then we can say Canada is having an impact on world affairs and its place in the world eh.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

1 - cheaper, calmer, safer, cleaner, life-work balance, relaxed, pretty, french...that was the motivation anyway and what we thought would be the meaning of living here.
2 - moved to Toronto because we had some connections and wanted to be relatively close to Europe (vs BC or Alberta say..) Also thought Toronto can offer more culture and interest than other parts of the country.
3 - No. A bit disappointed actually. We work hard, not a serious work-life balance, its expensive, properties are insanely ugly and overpriced, its all a bit backwards and lazy, boring, nothing too exciting ever happen, never hear the news about the world anymore. Feeling bored and isolated and we want to go home.
Apart from 2, I feel pretty much the same.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:52 am
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well yes, I agree.. this is exactly what I mean and we are doing the same thing. Without the BBC and the Guardian I would be totally lost for hockey scores and concussions, local weather and arbitrary bits of news.

If you to rely on the CBC/ Globe and Mail etc.. to deliver your dose of international perspective and updates you will never know anything about the world anymore.
Basically its up to you to source your news. Not a big problem obviously with the internet on all your devices BUT a big cultural problem! Canadians are simply not that interested.
Thats how I feel anyway.

..and by the way Canadian TV is just rubbish. I think I watched about 4hr in total since I arrived here. We very quickly had to figure out a technology manoeuvre for our TV content fix (rather complicated but totally legal!!) to have the BBC/4oD/itv etc in our living room. Even for the winter olympics we only watched BBC sport.
And I miss going into the office on Monday morning say, and exchanging notes on the latest great comedy we watched over the weekend.. (anyone up for an episode of "The Mighty Boosh"?)

Last edited by phr1; Apr 28th 2014 at 3:11 am.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

I rely on streaming services for entertainment
Old Apr 28th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Even for the winter olympics we only watched BBC sport.
Really? Although Canadian TV isn't great I thought the coverage of the Winter Olympics was excellent. My OH is a big sports fan and it was nice to not have him yelling at the commentators as often happened with the BBC sports coverage!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Well yes, I agree.. this is exactly what I mean and we are doing the same thing. Without the BBC and the Guardian I would be totally lost for hockey scores and concussions, local weather and arbitrary bits of news.

If you to rely on the CBC/ Globe and Mail etc.. to deliver your dose of international perspective and updates you will never know anything about the world anymore.
Basically its up to you to source your news. Not a big problem obviously with the internet on all your devices BUT a big cultural problem! Canadians are simply not that interested.
Thats how I feel anyway.

..and by the way Canadian TV is just rubbish. I think I watched about 4hr in total since I arrived here. We very quickly had to figure out a technology manoeuvre for our TV content fix (rather complicated but totally legal!!) to have the BBC/4oD/itv etc in our living room. Even for the winter olympics we only watched BBC sport.
And I miss going into the office on Monday morning say, and exchanging notes on the latest great comedy we watched over the weekend.. (anyone up for an episode of "The Mighty Boosh"?)
Cut the cable and get Netflix, you can configure it to get UK.USA content which is definitely worth it. That's all you'll ever need, other than live sports etc.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Thats how I feel anyway.

By the way, after reading all your posts phr1, you should without a doubt head back to the UK.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

scotsnerd is an unknown quantity at this point

An excellent post and interesting take on the perceived lifestyle vs the reality...

I have yet to make the jaunt. Fruitless job search so waiting for the IEC program to reopen in December. For me, I love Scotland, but I am bored and feel the need for a bit of an adventure. Clearly the recent winter in Canada has been poor, but the prospect of an actual summer entices me...