Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

This is why "the decent" people want to leave the UK

This is why "the decent" people want to leave the UK

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 12:02 am
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all
Default Re: This is why "the decent" people want to leave the UK

Originally Posted by dingbat
Oh dear. It undoubtedly won't improve anything apart from your bank balance if you live mortgage free..but I guess you'll have to experience the joys of NB to understand why I and many others will say that. You may wish to consider that NB being twenty years behind (which is accurate in some ways) puts your kids at a huge disadvantage in the future job market. You are thinking in terms of them experiencing a long gone type of childhood, where kids are living hassle free, playing in the sunny corn fields and all in relative safety. It's a dream. What you have in reality are bored and poorly educated kids, who have been nowhere and done very little, as anyone who tries travelling from NB to the rest of the world will tell you. Kids in certain cheap-to-live Canadian provinces experience limited outside cultural influences, and statistically are more likely to end up into drugs because there is b-all else to do. Those who graduate Grade 12 have to move away if they want a decent University education...and when you have lived here a while you will note with concern that very few ever move back to NB. There is a reason.

You have just described what will happen if I remain in Yorkshire.

I have spent a lot of time in NB and have 2 (University of New Brunswick educated) friends who live there too. They are not looking for pastures new - they love it in Saint John. I think it is because they travel to the UK a lot to visit relatives - so when they come home they appreciate what they've got.

I went to a Friends Reunited party a couple of years ago. Half my school year have left the north now. My kids are far more likely to sod off elsewhere if I stay where I am.

Last edited by RobinHood; Jun 22nd 2006 at 12:17 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 1:39 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobinHood

I have spent a lot of time in NB and have 2 (University of New Brunswick educated) friends who live there too. They are not looking for pastures new - they love it in Saint John. I think it is because they travel to the UK a lot to visit relatives - so when they come home they appreciate what they've got.

I went to a Friends Reunited party a couple of years ago. Half my school year have left the north now. My kids are far more likely to sod off elsewhere if I stay where I am.
Hardly the same thing. Moving counties to avoid the elements you may be seeking to avoid is easily done in the UK. Moving from a vast province to another vast province is extremely difficult when your capital is exhausted or tied up in property at today's prices. I am sure you have considered that whilst you may be content with the cultural isolationism in NB, an older child may want to find pastures new as you put it.

Yorkshire is beautiful - very beautiful, I guess I am at a loss to see why anyone would swap everything there (and on the doorstep!) for NB. Oh well, each to their own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_John,_New_Brunswick for general info, if anyone is interested in NB.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 5:46 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
What rubbish. I was a country boy who survived just fine moving to the city. You raise them right and dont drop them on their head too often they will be fine.

There is more of a sense of community and place in my rural area than in any city Ive lived in, and a reasonable amount for kids to do. In a small community if your kids are up to no good, people will notice and care enough to tell you, neighbours look out for neighbours here.
That's very true I'd agree with that, I also agree that Scotland has a really bad drug problem.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
What sorts of things can a teenager do independently in a place where they can't get around without driving ?
Well it doesn't stop the vandalism/drugs/and drinking in Scotland because they can get around the country easier?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 5:50 am

Yes lots of my old pals are dead because of drugs and they haven't reached 30 yet? Found out after I went onto friends reunited.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a Friends Reunited party a couple of years ago.
Pardon me for 'butting in', but does "FR2" mean anything to you?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:02 am

Oh dear. It undoubtedly won't improve anything apart from your bank balance if you live mortgage free..but I guess you'll have to experience the joys of NB to understand why I and many others will say that. You may wish to consider that NB being twenty years behind (which is accurate in some ways) puts your kids at a huge disadvantage in the future job market. You are thinking in terms of them experiencing a long gone type of childhood, where kids are living hassle free, playing in the sunny corn fields and all in relative safety. It's a dream. What you have in reality are bored and poorly educated kids, who have been nowhere and done very little, as anyone who tries travelling from NB to the rest of the world will tell you. Kids in certain cheap-to-live Canadian provinces experience limited outside cultural influences, and statistically are more likely to end up into drugs because there is b-all else to do. Those who graduate Grade 12 have to move away if they want a decent University education...and when you have lived here a while you will note with concern that very few ever move back to NB. There is a reason.

Originally Posted by Robin Hood
If I moved to Ontario I'd be in the same situation as you. That's why I'm moving to NB - I want to take it easy - working in schools has shot my nerves Incidentally there were 4 shooting incidents in my town over Xmas - fortunately only one fatal. I think 70 for a metropolis where guns are legal - so close to the States, is quite low. The figures for the northern mill towns (where guns are illegal) are grossly disproportionate to the populations. Add Manchester, Leeds and Bradford to that - and the statistics are quite frightening.

Enough said about Leeds - I'm with you all the way. My cousin got stabbed at a Leeds match in the 1980s (he was a Leeds fan as well). Looks like I missed the point of the thread - I thought we were discussing UK anti-social behaviour and crime etc... I'll get my coat
I think you both have points but in some ways I think the kids where I am are groing up too quickly an are too far ahead they need to slow down. The children I work with at 3 years old are swearing/hitting me they come into school with there heels on boob tubes and mini skirts. What happened to them being children, not mini adults.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I think you both have points but in some ways I think the kids where I am are groing up too quickly an are too far ahead they need to slow down. The children I work with at 3 years old are swearing/hitting me they come into school with there heels on boob tubes and mini skirts. What happened to them being children, not mini adults.
Are you SERIOUS? THREE years old in heels and boob tubes??? :scared: That was a typo, right?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:11 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Are you SERIOUS? THREE years old in heels and boob tubes??? :scared: That was a typo, right?
NO
How long since you been to UK???? :scared:
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Calgal
No honestly I am actaully being serious, the kids fashions here (in the poorer areas) are just like the adults clothes. I see the kids bringing into nursery make up, I used to bring in a teddy. I've seen children struggling on the climbing frame because of their clothes. Which if they get dirty they get a smack (probably more behind closed doors) I'm talking about ages 3-5.

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Jun 22nd 2006 at 6:14 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
NO
Good answer Butch Have a drink on me
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NO
Three years last January.

I didn't see any three year olds in boob tubes (maybe 'cos it was winter...lol)
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:15 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Good answer Butch Have a drink on me
Makes me sick the way mothers (in the uk) dress their daughters these days
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:16 am

Makes me sick the way mothers (in the uk) dress their daughters these days
Ditto.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:44 am
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

Hardly the same thing. Moving counties to avoid the elements you may be seeking to avoid is easily done in the UK. Moving from a vast province to another vast province is extremely difficult when your capital is exhausted or tied up in property at today's prices. I am sure you have considered that whilst you may be content with the cultural isolationism in NB, an older child may want to find pastures new as you put it.

Yorkshire is beautiful - very beautiful, I guess I am at a loss to see why anyone would swap everything there (and on the doorstep!) for NB. Oh well, each to their own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_John,_New_Brunswick for general info, if anyone is interested in NB.
Have you ever been to NB? You are right Yorkshire as a whole is a lovely county. I enjoy the (sometimes) 40 min drive to work (for a distance of 4.5 miles), I love the way non of our neighbours speak to each other. I get warm and fuzzy about the 14 year olds wandering around our (quite affluent) estates with cans of Stella etc. The Yorkshire dales are fantastic - but takes hours to get to due to traffic. Moving counties to avoid the elements I seek to avoid is not easily done in my experience. I'd love to live in York in a 300sq ft house - but sadly I'm not a millionaire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.